Follow The Dog to The monkey Trail

b707ds
b707ds Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Routes
Hi all,

have only just started MTB and have been round The Dog a few times and have really enjoyed it but my stamina ain't the best and i'm breathing out my arse a few times especially on the fire road climb (well its a climb to me) was wondering how long before i give the Monkey trail a bash, the technical stuff doesn't faze me but the extra distance does. Any thoughts from you folks<

Cheers Stu.

Comments

• Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Youll only gain stamina by going further, do the Dog twice in a ride and see how you feel.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Neither trail has anything technical. Just ride more to improve stamina and make sure you eat properly. If it's a morning ride a good high carb breakfast, like porridge will set you up a lot better than a full English.
  • I was in the same boat last year. You have to just do it as there is no such thing as whether you are ready or not.

If you've done the dog a few times, then you're ready. I struggled the first time I did the monkey and just did it slowly. Some bits were fucking scary.

The next time I did the dog, it was pissy easy and suddenly felt flat. The monkey was still hard but it got easier each time as my legs got used to it.

Basically, shock your system and you'll get better next time!
  • I've always thought the hardest part is the climb back up heartbreak hill to rejoin the dog!
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    b707ds wrote:
    the technical stuff doesn't faze me but the extra distance does
    The first half of Monkey essentially zig-zags up and down the same hill and is crossed by a number of fireroads. If you want to take a breather or bypass a section, follow any fireroad up-across-down to rejoin the Monkey. If you get to the road you've gone too far!

Alternatively, after the rail bridge instead of turning right to start Monkey head straight up the fireroad to the start of Upper Cliff it's an easy way to ride some of Monkey without committing to the whole route.
  • If you like you could park at bottom of the monkey trail after the railway crossing where the monkey really starts to crank up and miss FTD altogether, if you feel fresh and fancy a bit more pedal back up and session M7 and M8 which are the highlight of the Monkey.
  • Definately try the monkey trail. It will get you climbing better and there are plenty of opportunities to stop for a breather if needed. As above, you need to push to improve and the monkey is natural progression from the dog. The climbs are steeper but aren't very long (apart from the hill back to the dog) and you are rewarded with the upper and lower cliff decents!
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    Well, this thread makes me feel so much better.

I missed Lower Cliff when I rode Monkey earlier this week. That damn gate across the fireroad. I looked right before it because I saw where bikes had turned before the gate, to see if that was where the trail went. Looked back just in time to miss the sign saying to turn right, and went straight down the fireroad missing out Lower Cliff.

So yeah, thanks for verifying that it's one of the best sections.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • buffoon
    buffoon Posts: 49
    With some trepidation I did the monkey for the first time today after having done the dog ~10 times on previous occasions.The only bit that perturbed me was the rock gardens (tom, dick, harry). I must admit I had to walk them. Otherwise, there were no technical issues for me. It was definitely more knackering than the dog, with more climbs. However, the last descent made the climbs worth it - absolutely brilliant fun. FWIW I also thought the scenery was prettier that the dog. Next time I'll see if I can conquer the rock gardens without needing the paramedics.