Roadie pedals. Tell me about your roadie pedals.

124»

Comments

• spasypaddy wrote:
    those keywins are ridiculous :lol:

You're talking to a man who is using Podios. It's all relative.

In my dictionary, under "Ridiculous", it says "This is a made up word. Just ignore it when people say it. They're being silly".

(More seriously, there are some youtube vids that give a reasonable idea of how they work. Quite interesting, given that the rest of the market is dominated by what is basically a single idea).
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    daviesee wrote:
    As I said at the outset, pedals are IMO the most "personal" part of a bike set up..
    Disagrees.
    As usual. :wink:

Saddles, surely?

How many have you ridden?
    Is that unlucky?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    As I said at the outset, pedals are IMO the most "personal" part of a bike set up..
    Disagrees.
    As usual. :wink:

Saddles, surely?

How many have you ridden?
    Is that unlucky?

I have 8. With the exception of the Adamo that's on Bike 3, I genuinely doubt I could tell the difference between any of the road saddles I've had if I had a blind test. The chamois makes a much bigger difference, IMO.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • daviesee
    I have 8. With the exception of the Adamo that's on Bike 3, I genuinely doubt I could tell the difference between any of the road saddles I've had if I had a blind test. The chamois makes a much bigger difference, IMO.
    I cant agree that all my saddles were similar as they have varied wildly.
    The chamois part I could have agreed with.
    But the chamois is not part of the bike, so I cant.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    spasypaddy wrote:

In my dictionary, under "Ridiculous", it says "This is a made up word. Just ignore it when people say it. They're being silly".

(More seriously, there are some youtube vids that give a reasonable idea of how they work. Quite interesting, given that the rest of the market is dominated by what is basically a single idea).
    now i understand where you're coming from, im an early adopter though rather than a stuck in the past.

speedplays before they were popular and before they were mass sold in this country. they are the best pedal system on the market. I think you should try a pair before you splash out on those keywins i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

i can lend you a set if you want, therefore no expense and you can see whether they are for you
  • Currently working with Shimano A-520s and a pair of CF-soled SPD Spuiks . If there's a difference in stiffness or efficiency between this setup and any LOOK/SPD-SL "roadie" pedals I've tried, I certainly can't feel it.

There probably isn't much difference in stiffness and efficiency but there is in weight.

I used to used M520s on my commuter but then put some SPD-SLs on for a multi-day ride. I was really taken by how much more of a stable pedalling platform they are (the difference is obvious when you ride both in regular flat shoes).

It really comes down to precisely what you are using them for. SPDs work fine (especially for commuting) but they really aren't as good as SPD-SLs for full-on road riding.

A-520's are a whole 16g heavier than (metal) Ultegra 6700's. A-600 Ultegra level SPD's are 28g lighter than the SPD-SL metal and about the same heavier than Ultegra Carbons.
  • daviesee
    A-520's are a whole 16g heavier than (metal) Ultegra 6700's. A-600 Ultegra level SPD's are 28g lighter than the SPD-SL metal and about the same heavier than Ultegra Carbons.
    A whole 16g?
    I must remember too put a few less drops of water in my bottle too compensate.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    spasypaddy wrote:

The Keywins must be rediculous as, acording to the BikeRadar review they don't meet some of the key performance criteria.
    - slippery and uncomfortable to walk in
    - cannot push off without slipping sideways
    - only of use on Sunday rides NOT commuting

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... bon-46693/
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    saw this and thought of this thead

Infinity pedal
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    cyd190468 wrote:
    I find it odd that he's also aiming at MTB use as the flange the engages with the cleat on the outside looks very vulnerable to rock strikes. I wonder how well they clip in and out with a few flats around the cylinder.
    I'd think it should be fairly resilient - the guiding 'ramp' is on the cleat & I think it'd need a fairly big ding on the flange rim to affect. It's also sprung which might give some resiliency to strikes?
    It's a clever design. The video did annoy me at the start though. snack-mishap.gif
    I don't have a problem clipping in to spds.

My thought on reliability was if you get mud into the flange & it starts to dry a bit.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Torvid wrote:
    saw this and thought of this thead

Infinity pedal

They look mint.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I don't have a problem clipping in to spds.

Yeah, I wondered HTF he was trying to clip in. I use SPDs on my CX and Brompton, and usually clip in first time.

Admittedly, I often have a hassle with SPD-SLs, especially uphill.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I've recently swapped from Keo Classics to Speedplay Zeros, with the only reason being that I was sick to death of pushing off crossing busy junctions and being left dangerously exposed, trying to flip the bloody pedal to get clipped in while a 40ft. lorry is bearing down on you at 30mph. I love the fact that the Speedplays are double-sided and I can just stamp on them to engage. So much quicker and easier.

With regards to durability of the Speedplay cleats, instead of using Kovers I just slather on some Shoe Goo over the alloy surfaces and find that this works just as well once it's cured. I also find that you can gently pedal around with the cleat resting on the pedal, without it clipping in. Once you apply decent pressure though, you will clip in.