tyres

cremator
cremator Posts: 99
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
hi all just got back in the saddle just need to no please the bike i have as 700x35c tyres on it they are like a town and country tyre but i want to put a more road tyre on it as i am mainly on the road what sort of tyre can i put on please do i have to stick with a 700x 35c

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    700C is the diameter, 35 is the width- you can fit most 700C tyres, though the rims might be too wide for narrow ones (23mm or so). I'd look for slick road tyres around 28-32mm, as a starting point. That's about the size most cycle tourists use, it's a good balance between comfort and weight for general riding.

Fully slick tyres grip and roll better in both dry and wet, but most larger tyres have some kind of decorative tread pattern on them: choose the smoothest, if nothing else decides.

Some tyres have puncture resistant belts beneath the tread; these vary in usefulness, but it depends on whether you live somewhere with lots of glass on the roads, etc.

I don't know about brands and models as I haven't bought tyres in this size for years. I'd start looking for something by Continental and Michelin. Don't worry about a folding bead tyre unless you need to carry a spare- wire bead tyres are cheaper. You shouldn't need to spend more than £20 each. Try your lbs?
  • cremator
    hi there thank you think you tant aswers all of it that you would i have to change the inner tubes as well whats try your lbs
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,559
    lbs == local bike shop
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cremator
    ah ok thank you would i have to change the inner tubes if i went for a 28c
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,559
    probably be ok with current tubes - as long as they physically fit in the smaller tyre they'll work fine
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cremator
    ok great thank you