i just quit smoking (i think)

rickbst170
rickbst170 Posts: 228
edited April 2014 in The Crudcatcher
Well...all my tobacco just ran out and I'm not intending to buy any more. Baccy money buys bike parts. Not smoking makes me healthier. In 6 months I'll have a bike and decent lungs. Win win!

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Good luck, you will find once your lungs recover and the poisons are out of your body you will be able to get a lot fitter.
  • rickbst170
    Thanks mate. I quit once before. I moved to America for business reasons when I was 20 and moving half way round the world gave me a fresh start. Was tough to start with but got into running (I lived on the coast so ran by the water each morning, evening and when I needed a fag. I think my route took me 45 minutes the first time. After a week that was down to 35. After 2 weeks down to 30 mins and after a month it wad 20 mins or so. Amazing how quick you clear out.

When I moved back I started again (because I'm a dumbass). Been cutting down for a week, from 15-20 a day to 5 for the last week. Cold turkey from here on though.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    Good luck chap, my next attempt starts when my fags run out
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    edited March 2014
    Good luck! If you've done it before it can be done again.
  • pesky_jones
    Just realised where this is posted

Hmmmm sweet nicotine. One more fag, what's the harm?
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Taking up running is probably a good distraction from smoking, and gets you fitter.

I took up killing hookers. Your idea is worth a try!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    Go on, just one more - you could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

lovely-fags-o.gif
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pesky_jones
    Thats genius stevo - made me want one now
  • rickbst170
    One day gone, not too bad. Swore at the car a lot (dropped a gasket behind inlet mani and could reach it) but other than that, a promising start!

Cutting down for a week definitely helps. Got an e-cig to take edge off too which works (although I hate it and it makes me cough so isn't any good as a direct replacement). Originally I tried to sub fags for e-cigs but didn't work for me. I still wanted a real fag. Trying to cold turkey but have the e-cig as backup for the really bad cravings works much better.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the ecig.
    Couple of mine - Touchwood Minis with an RSST on one, and an 'oided Phoenix on the other, home made juice, and home made coils and wicks just as I want them.
    Agree that the cig a like's from local shops are totally rubbish, but that's like doing downhill on an Apollo.
    13017532745_7a3e7f226b_z.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    Proper smokers don't quit, they just take a break to get the buzz back. I'm on a two year break now, had the odd one when on the lash, but don't miss them at all. Saved a couple of grand too, none of which I saved...
    Yeah, I quit most new years but only ever for a week or two. This time tho, I want to get fit and back into biking so I have another reason to push me along. Had 2 on Sunday (someone brought some into my house and it smelled too good to resist - non smokers won't understand that) but that's all since Saturday. Pretty please so far.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Good luck, I quit 3 years ago now, went cold turkey too, best thing I've ever done. After a while they won't smell good anymore either, I can't stand the smell anymore now.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Good man! Keep telling people that you are not smoking and the encouragement will get you through. I stopped on 8 Oct 2003 and endured a week of utter hell - the next three weeks of misery and it got better - took up and still do running. A life change that is worth going through. Eventually you do give up but I remember two years ago - every 4 months or so, I could have lit up again. It has gone now.

...no way am I giving up beer though!!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    Agree that the cig a like's from local shops are totally rubbish, but that's like doing downhill on an Apollo.

And you're riding a tricked out Santa Cruz V10C on a video game :wink:
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Keep it up, I gave it up three weeks ago after 9 years of it. Like you I really miss the smell but I dont miss anything else about it. I've gone cold turkey and not touched one since, I havent had a beer since I've given up so that will be the true test. I too have increased my exersice and can't believe the difference in my fitness abd breathing already. Ive saved £105 so far so will be ordering my Renthal Fatbar lights in the coming days, next is the renthal duo stem.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

And you're riding a tricked out Santa Cruz V10C on a video game :wink:
    Ride? Don't be a knob. This is CC.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    Posh E-cigs? Don't be a knob. This is CC.

Agree completely
  • pesky_jones
    We only smoke crack and body hair in here, you know that
  • rickbst170
    Unsuspecting milestone reached today. I worked through a cigarette break without realizing! I used to have cig breaks at 10:30, 12:15-13:00, and 15:30. Usually, even when smoking freely, I'd know what the time was as I'd start wanting a cig at 10:00, then be gagging for one by 10:25. Same from 11:45 and from 15:00. Didn't even notice it was 16:00 today until I smelled smoke on someone and realized they'd not long come back in!

Thought I'd share as a bit of self gratification. I've had 6 cigarettes since starting this thread. 2 one weekend, 4 (in 3 hours) this weekend. Pretty please with that. Much better than 18 a day!
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Well done - go for cold turkey.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    I hope your still managing without the dreaded cigg's as it will all be worth it in the long run although i've put a bit of weight on since i quit over 12 months ago but only because my bike is 5 miles away at my daughters till i can get a shed to store it in but still i'm feeling a lot more energetic and food & drink taste loads better ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Well done dude.
    I smoked 40 a day for 25ish years then read:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Eas ... 014103940X
    Gave up at end of book as instructed, was easy :D
    Reading the reviews helped to keep me motivated.

Bought a MTB month later, but got suckered back into the weed 8 mths later :oops:

Gonna try again in a couple weeks, missing MTB, reading these forums helps too :P
  • rickbst170
    Thanks all. I got man flu last weekend and had no will power so ended up smoking a fair bit. My missus is still smoking too which doesn't help. I'm ok with having it around (not tempted too much anymore) but when I smell it drifting in from outside it's hard. My crappy ecig ran out of juice, but I didn't like it anyway. Only smoking after work now, which cuts my previous habit down by at least 10 a day so progress, but still getting in 4 or 5 an evening.

Is rather slowly stop and stop for good than have another fad nicotine diet and get back on it again.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Stopping smoking is easy. The hard part is getting your head into the right place to stop.

But when it is in the right place you will stop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rickbst170
    Hit the nail on the head. At work, I don't have any significant cravings anymore, so I must be pretty much over it. But once I'm home and it's around me and I'm bored it's not that I need a smoke, but I feel like "well...I've been good all day, what's the harm". Then immediately after im disappointed.

Can't wait for end of month (and possibly next month too) and get the bike built so I have incentive again and see some differences between smoking and not.
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    nicklouse wrote:
    Stopping smoking is easy. The hard part is getting your head into the right place to stop.

But when it is in the right place you will stop.

Very well put their mate as i found out through trying in the past and always failed due to not being in " The Right Frame Of Mind " as i eventually found myself wanting to stop due to not being willing to pay out all that dosh for a pkt only to realise after 3 weeks of not smoking that i wasn't wanting a cig any more and had to give the car a damn good clean out as it stunk of stale fags yuk!! and promptly banned the wife from smoking in it too :lol: ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604