activeuk Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cxr94_Di2.html
Is there any thing i need to change to get the best out of it on the road

Boardman_CXR94_Road_xl.jpg

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Yes it is very much so, but, are you going to take it off road? If no, then get a road bike. But for a CX bike that kicks ass and will be better than most road bikes too (if slicks are fitted)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Yes it is very much so, but, are you going to take it off road? If no, then get a road bike. But for a CX bike that kicks ass and will be better than most road bikes too (if slicks are fitted)

Yes this---^ If its only for road use get a road bike. But CX bikes are great if you want to dabble in a bit off the rough stuff too (says he whose just bought a Boardman CX Pro for a bit off off road rough stuff). CX bikes are also stronger, decent for commuting with mudguards and a rack.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • activeuk
    Hi wanted a bike with a bit more relaxed setup would the gearing be the same as on a road bike
  • drlodge
    activeuk wrote:
    Hi wanted a bike with a bit more relaxed setup would the gearing be the same as on a road bike

You can get road bikes with this "more relaxed" setup, its all in the geometry. Audax or Sportive bikes typically have a more relaxed frame - shallower seat tube angles around 73-73.5 degrees, and higher/longer head tubes for a more upright position (less drop from saddle to bars).

The gearing on this bike - 50/34 chainring and 11-28 cassette is easily available on a road bike too. A decent bike shop should be able to advise (I don't count Halfords as a decent bike shop).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    For example...Cannondale Synapse Carbon

http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/catalog/p ... egory/916/
    Find me on Strava
  • activeuk
    What would be the advantage of a road bike over this if the cx hard road tyres
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Lovely looking bike :wink:

Doesn't look that 'relaxed' to me though. Looks pretty racy :P
  • Anonymous
    activeuk wrote:
    What would be the advantage of a road bike over this if the cx hard road tyres

Would not have thought there would be much in it with that one.

Road bike equivalent should be a bit lighter and stiffer. Rims may be a bit narrower if you wanted 23mm tyres.

My CX bike is a pig compared to my road bike but mine is pretty heavy aluminium and the Boardman looks as though it could be light.
  • activeuk
    Boardman is 9kg with disc brakes
  • Anonymous
    My road bike is 7.25kg and my CX is 10kg. Not that weight is everything though.

I do not think I will ever buy another aluminium bike again and cannot help think that I needed to get something like the Boardman to get what I want from it, which is mainly winter road bike with better commuting and CenterParqsability.

For £3,250 I would be tempted to buy two bikes. A carbon 105 winter road and an aluminium hydraulic CX commuter.

The Boardman does look nice though :P
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    It's how much?? OP please tell me you have some idea what you're getting for your money. What kind of rides are you planning to do on this?
  • activeuk
    Its £3299 yes all the spec is what i was after. Was just checking as it s cx that it would be good on the road with normal tyres. Really like the look of it and the specs seem very good for the price.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Seriously ? 3 grand ? You can get a carbon cx from planet x for a grand. Go get a retul bike fit there and you'll have over 2 grand to spend on a full on road bike.

I like my CX bike - but i don't think you are actually after one. Of you want a relaxed angle road bike - get one.
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    I like my Genesis Day One Single Speed'. I'm not a carbon fan.
    Great on and off road, not had a problem with hills or distance
  • Anonymous
    Doris Day wrote:
    I like my Genesis Day One Single Speed'. I'm not a carbon fan.
    Great on and off road, not had a problem with hills or distance

Thanks for that.
    I am very happy for you :roll:
  • hanhamreds
    hanhamreds Posts: 100
    I'm more than happy with my Boardman CX Team (2014) on the road, I've just fitted 25mm gatorskins and I'm at least 3mph faster than the 35c Rapid Robs that it came with.

Would still love a full carbon road bike though.
  • markhewitt1978
    If you want a road bike with a relaxed set up then take a look at the Trek Domane range, which is pretty much exactly what you are looking at without it being intended for cyclocross.

Consider that for a similar price to that Boardman you can get a Domane with (almost) top of the range carbon frame and Ultegra Di2 http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/ro ... _9_compact
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    OP might be wanting disc brakes too - lots of people hate the rim brakes on road bikes and there are limited options with discs.

This doesnt take a rack though - you might be able to fit one with P clips but that might not be good for the carbon...
  • markhewitt1978
    apreading wrote:
    OP might be wanting disc brakes too - lots of people hate the rim brakes on road bikes and there are limited options with discs.

That's true, however quite often you read about people 'needing' disc brakes, when they don't. Sure disc brakes are very nice but for road, it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I believe its the OP's first road bike according to his other threads. It'd be silly to spend that much dosh on a bike that's so very different to your other one and not get a proper bike fit. You might save yourself from making an expensive mistake.

Then again - if that CX bike is in my size - click away...
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    Great bike, but there are similar for a lot less. I really like CX bikes, great fun, bomb proof, comfy....but I wouldn't buy one and then ask if it's good for the road....because as many have said, road bikes kind of fit that bill rather well.

But your cash, your choice.
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,599
    Having seen a mate ride straight into a pedestrian who walked out in front of him in the rain (hard on the brakes to no avail) i think I'll stick with discs on my commuter cx bike. I might not 'need' to be able to stop in a short distance in the wet commuting in London but I really, really want to.
    apreading wrote:

That's true, however quite often you read about people 'needing' disc brakes, when they don't. Sure disc brakes are very nice but for road, it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
  • Nick_M
    Nick_M Posts: 58
    activeuk wrote:

That's a very, very nice road bike, just as the CX bike in your first post is a very, very nice CX bike that would also be pretty good on the road when fitted with road tyres. A CX bike is great if you are going to ride CX, or maybe use as an all-weather multi-purpose bike (discs) and yet they can be almost as good as a pure road bike on tarmac. However, if you are going to stay on the road, get a road bike. I started with a sort-of-CX bike and realised very quickly I would never take it off road and so ended up relegating it to bad-weather hack and buying a pure road bike instead.

For the sort of money you are planning to spend you can get some seriously nice kit, but I do echo what others have said here and suggest you make really sure it's what you want. A test ride should be a must to avoid buying something that really doesn't match what you want to do. Buyer's remorse can be a terrible thing :).
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    The OP has managed to finally achieve what so many have failed in doing - finding a Boardman that isn't cracking value :lol:

Seriously - £3k?? for that you could get a decent road Boardman (£2k) AND a CX/MTB for a bit of dirty fun.

n+1

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    My first road bike was a full on Pinarello and a dream machine it is too. However, having splashed the hard earned on it and being unable to afford an N+1 for at least another 18 months I found that I had to ride it all winter long. I loved it, but winters do knock hell out of a bike. I accepted this and just changed parts as they wore (quickly over a winter).

I have just completed my second winter on my Felt alloy Xer with disc brakes. In my opinion a cross bike with discs, full mudguards and mud flaps and 28mm Four Seasons tyres is the perfect tool for winter riding. Just had a new BB fitted, big chainring needed replacing and new chain and cassette. The rear wheel has been rebuilt with a Hope hub which will outlast the rest of the bike now!

Why am I saying all this? Well, that Boardman Crosser looks lovely, but very pricey. Mine was £1100 new. However, I would recommend the OP buying a cross bike first which can be his summer and winter ride until such time as he wants a bling summer dream machine. If he buys the cross bike first he will not have to put his summer pride and joy through the ravages of a winter or two. Given my time again that's what I would do. I would however probably buy a carbon framed cross bike rather than the alloy one that I have.

PP
  • drlodge
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    I would recommend the OP buying a cross bike first which can be his summer and winter ride until such time as he wants a bling summer dream machine. If he buys the cross bike first he will not have to put his summer pride and joy through the ravages of a winter or two.

This is a very sensible and logical proposal, and I commend it to the house. In fact I think everyone starting out cycling should do this :idea:
    Find me on Strava
  • markhewitt1978
    SecretSam wrote:
    The OP has managed to finally achieve what so many have failed in doing - finding a Boardman that isn't cracking value :lol:

Seriously - £3k?? for that you could get a decent road Boardman (£2k) AND a CX/MTB for a bit of dirty fun.

n+1

That's good advice! Once you get beyond about £2k diminishing returns start to seriously kick in, so you are quite correct that you'd get a lot more by spending that next £1k on another bike. For sure a £2k and £1k bike will get you much more than a single £3k bike would - for most people of course.