Orbit Harrier

randolph
randolph Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Tour & expedition
Does anyone have experience of the Orbit Harrier Endurance bicycle for touring,I've the chance to buy one and need a solid touring mount?

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    randolph wrote:
    Does anyone have experience of the Orbit Harrier Endurance bicycle for touring,I've the chance to buy one and need a solid touring mount?

There's mixed reports. Some people find them competent some complained about the build quality.
  • Yes! My mate and I each bought one of these Orbit Harrier 'fast tourers' in 1994, and they've been absolutely excellent over the last 19 years, and more than 50,000 miles each. They're sublimely comfortable to ride, reasonably quick (for heavy duty 531 frames), and very practical, as they're fitted with panniers for touring. I think components must have been made to be more hard wearing back in the mid-1990's ... we're still using the original mechs and chains. Between us we've only had to replace cables, brake blocks, seat post bolts, tyres and handlebar tape. We also re-greased bearings. The mudguards eventually rattled loose, and one weld failed on each of the rear pannier racks. So not bad at all really. For two or three years we've both been thinking it's about time to replace the old Orbits, but despite trialling a couple of very nice Van Nicholas titanium bikes, a 631 steely and some aluminium road bikes, we've yet to find anything that's enough of an improvement to justify retiring the Orbits. That is until this week, when we noticed that one of the campag rims has become alarmingly worn, and we agreed that at least one of them now has to go, and in the interests of safety, almost anything else will be preferable.
    So, what to do? Something like a VN Yukon? Anyone any other suggestions?