Converting from a 2 x 10 to 1 x 10?

Time.to.ride
Time.to.ride Posts: 463
edited March 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Hi, is this as easy as it sounds? Do i just simply remove the left hand shifter, cable, and front mech. take off the double rings and replace with the new single ring , and do i need a chain guide/tensioner if i do not use a clutch mech??

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    There is on article on here which explains all.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And about a million threads, but yes, that's about the size of it.

Guide needed even if you use a clutch mech unless you also have a narrow/wide chainring, and why wouldn't you frankly.

Little consensus on whether n/w ring and no clutch mech is sufficient to keep the chain on.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    A very important question (it will govern how many parts and what type you need to get) is where do you plan to ride this bike? If it's nowhere particularly bumpy, you'll get away without the chain guide. They're regarded as indispensable now, but I distinctly remember riding a six-speed bike with a single front ring down some very bumpy tracks before the chain guide was invented, and it wasn't such a problem. Also, what size of chainring and cassette sprockets do you plan to fit?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    FWIW when I broke my chainguide and rode without one it came off repeatedly on the road, hitting potholes.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    njee20 wrote:
    FWIW when I broke my chainguide and rode without one it came off repeatedly on the road, hitting potholes.

I used to lose the chain on my trance regularly, even with a front mech.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Hi, is this as easy as it sounds? Do i just simply remove the left hand shifter, cable, and front mech. take off the double rings and replace with the new single ring , and do i need a chain guide/tensioner if i do not use a clutch mech??

Yes, it's as easy as that. I've recently converted to 1x10. There are some pics of my Trance on the link below with the new set up. I put a 34T narrow wide on with a clutch type rear mech.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500