Clothing Sizes - any recommendations or advice? Please share

Ringpeace
Ringpeace Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Are any brands that you know of, accurate to their size charts?

I bought a Sportful jacket recently in XL - should have fit according to their size chart. Was waaay off and had to go up to an XXXL

I have some Dare 2 Be items and they seem to fit exactly as described on their size charts.

Shimano shoes and clothing comes up way smaller than it should.

Sugoi seems to be on the size chart but weird "features" and really cheap zips.

Anyone else got any info?

Cheers

Comments

• brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Don't take this the wrong way but Dare2be and altura etc are made for the modern physique- ie way way big!
    Italian sizing tends to be a little smaller. American and British on the larger size. Then only sizing charts I have found to have any equality across brands is the euro sizing 1- 8 although not all brands use it.
    Im 6'4'' tall with a 41 inch chest but still a cyclist hence Im either a Medium or Large in a top and either Large or X large in shorts.
    Remember it should be spray on!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    Sportful and Italian brands typically come up small for UK sizes.

I normally go extra small and the castelli medium bib tights fit me very well.

UK brands are typically bigger than the cycling average and are probably closest related to the size of clothes you'd wear in public. So if you're large normally UK size will be that too.

Try before you buy unfortunately. There's no hard and fast rule.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above there are no real rules. I tend to go by manufacturers waist / chest size for everything top and bottom which means it fits well without being too baggy or making me look like an escaping MAMIL on the loose ;)

Most cycling gear is designed for very short, very slim riders. I am 6ft7 and about 15 stone 5. I use Madison Thermo tights / shorts, Endura Baa Baa Merino base layers and if it is not raining a Specialized Solid long sleeve jerseys. They are all long enough and fit me fine except the baa baa which is just short in the sleeves but is always under something else so makes no difference.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,528
    Endura.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    ^this. Sadly so much lack of conformity across countries and manufacturers regarding standard sizing - its a real lottery. No signs in the future of anyone in the business adopting some global standardised practice of sizing either so it really is a case of try before you buy. Once sorted for a specific brand you are ok but its not transferrable to another brand unless you try first.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Sprool wrote:
    ^this. Sadly so much lack of conformity across countries and manufacturers regarding standard sizing - its a real lottery. No signs in the future of anyone in the business adopting some global standardised practice of sizing either so it really is a case of try before you buy. Once sorted for a specific brand you are ok but its not transferrable to another brand unless you try first.

even in the fashion/clothing industry no-one really conforms to standard sizes and it can still be a bit of a lottery without trying first, it just seems to be a problem thats exacerbated in cycling kit because everyone is doing their own sizing thing and theres very little cross brand sharing.

but even in brands,Ive found Ill buy two tops/shorts in the same size and only one set will fit :? certainly not the quickest way to a womans heart is to tell her size 10 is X-large.