in memory of Kaise

Gazlar
Gazlar Posts: 8,084
edited March 2014 in The Crudcatcher
Afternoon scuttlers

Its took a while sure to the late construction of the new trails at Cwmcarn, but I had an email yesterday from the guys at Cognation saying they're ready to move forward on a memorial to the big guy on the new downhill. They would like to know what we'd like in his honour.

I've spoke to Sarah and Carys and so far the preferred idea is a technical section or feature named"The Kaiser" or. "Kaiser's whatever “ and then raise a few quid to have a piece of trail art commissioned or some fancy signage or whatever, but they would also like to hear of any of you have any ideas to throw into the pot. Anything we do has to pass forestry commission approval so it can't be too outlandish.

I also suggested that should we have some kind of trail are, it may be better at start or finish off a downhill trail as people will get to see what its all about.

To go with that, once it's open or being unveiled, may I suggest a crudeer gathering slash social day
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

Comments

• A downhill run call "The Kaiser" would be amazing! I think the artwork would be best up the top of the run, as that way people can look at it whilst preparing to set off. At the bottom, people are likely to ride past it to either go back up, or straight to their car.

Great idea though!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Yeah as above. I really like the idea of just calling it 'the kaiser'
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160
    'The Kaiser' sounds good, anything too Cruddy and other people won't get it. Hopefully there's a ditch near that section of the track then we can all have a smile as we pile down it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    That's a great idea
  • Gazlar
    Just had an email back from Lou at Cognation, apparently some of the info about what we'd like wasn't really passed on when she took over the project managers job, she was just told to contact us in relation to a memorial.

What this means is that the sections of the trail have pretty much been named, she is going to discuss this with the trail ranger to see if anything can be done, but failing this i've suggested that perhaps a certain feature could be named in memory of Kaise. I have also suggested that this could be achieved on Twrch 2 or the new downhill and that it would be nice to have him remembered either way. The other suggestion I have made is that if there are any features such as northshore or bridges on either trail, perhaps they could be known as "Kaiser's Ditch"

I have also suggested that we would be keen to provide some kind of trail art to be placed at a suitable location.

One thing Lou has suggested is that cognation would like to help to arrange an event to mark an anniversary or whatever, which I've said we would love to explore further.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • I think that we go for whatever they'll let us have, but not let them push us over and end up saying "You can name this rock". If they've 'pretty much all be named' maybe there's scope to change one to 'The Kaiser' and call a section whatever they were going to call the trail.
    That said, a bridge over 'Kaisers Ditch' would be a great idea too. If the trail art could go at the start of a run, and say something like 'Think of our Kaiser and try not to end up in his ditch!'. it will get people thinking about him at the start of the run, and half way down it.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Thats cool TKM, i like the idea of a "warning" or a gentle reminder at the start so you notice it when you go over it.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Gazlar
    Yeah, that sounds cool. In fairness to Lou, her predecessor didn't tell her exactly what we were after and she's liasing with the ranger to see if there is the possibility of a section. I suggested a prominent feature and suggested the possibility of it being on twrch 2 as firstly there's probably more chance of there being a feature to name and secondly there's more scope regarding placing trail art
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Good work Gaz,

least some information was passed on, alot of these things just get forgotten along the way, especially since Cwm's progress to getting the trails built has been a bit delayed!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    GAZ: how about the new DH trails at FoD? they're yet to be named.

http://www.flyupdownhill.co.uk/hail-new-trail/

FoD is where I met kaise and chatted to him over a coffee :(
  • Gazlar
    Morning all

Quick update, had an email from Bob the ranger at Cwmcarn yesterday, they have one of three sections of the dh that need naming and will call one of themost "the Kaiser" going over next week for a track walk and to decide on the best bit and how we can put something commemorative
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Cool work dude,

When are you doing the track walk?
  • VWsurfbum
    Do you know roughly when the opening weekend will be?
    I would like to bring the tribe across to sample the delights of Cwm
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Gazlar
    In answer to those, Waylander, I dunno. Yet some time next week hopefully, got to speak to Bob again and sort out a time

Vw dunno that either. Although they have said they'd be willing to stage asmall event for Kaise at some time
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • VWsurfbum
    Cool beans
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    Well if its tuesday there is a chance i can come walk with you ;) thats also a cruddy walk if you so please :P
  • Gazlar
    I'll walk you in a minute!
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    I'm going to rape you in the bushes and bury you in a ditch :P

Deciphered that for you chap
  • Thewaylander
    Sadly I didn’t get chance for a romantic rendezvous with Gaz.. shame as there are a lot of ditches up Cwm.