Decent Headset - think thats all i need

jlowdo
jlowdo Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have been running a fairly modest setup for a while, and generally happy with it.. I have a 2013 Cube Agree Race which i have upgraded to full ultegra... also upgraded to a deda elementi superleggera carbon seatpost and fizik arione saddle, and matching stem ( deda ). also bought a pair of cera ar30 wheels with conti gp4000s, and thinking about a 3t ergo nova team carbon drop bar ( little bit pricey )..

its pretty hilly round my neck of the woods so i have a 50-34 compact and a 12-30t cassette ( KMC Chain )...

but basically pretty happy with it, and putting the miles in.

My question is, the stock FSA headset just feels cheap, and i have to grease it otherwise it starts to squeak a bit. is it worth upgrading? i know shelling out on a chris king is not cheap, but they do look nice, and would it fit on my bike??

cheers
James

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    It will make no difference to your riding, headsets are headsets are headsets. Some of the bearings last a bit longer than others, you pay extra for lightness, bling and high bulls*it factor things like ceramic bearings.

If you want a fabulous looking, long lasting, nicely coloured headset buy a Chris King at £125 (you will still have to look after it though) if you just want a headset keep your FSA and grease it occasionally and eventually replace it with another £25 FSA number.

Mind you others may think differently. :wink:
  • jlowdo
    thanks! i guess i was weighing up bling factor against practicality... the FSA i have does feel a little bit rubbish though, and i have had to remove the stem and grease it three times since i got the bike, i guess that was really why i asked the question.... so, i can put the money towards saving for my garmin VIRB :)

Thanks again...
    James
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    jlowdo wrote:
    Hi,

I have been running a fairly modest setup for a while, and generally happy with it.. I have a 2013 Cube Agree Race which i have upgraded to full ultegra... also upgraded to a deda elementi superleggera carbon seatpost and fizik arione saddle, and matching stem ( deda ). also bought a pair of cera ar30 wheels with conti gp4000s, and thinking about a 3t ergo nova team carbon drop bar ( little bit pricey )..

its pretty hilly round my neck of the woods so i have a 50-34 compact and a 12-30t cassette ( KMC Chain )...

but basically pretty happy with it, and putting the miles in.

My question is, the stock FSA headset just feels cheap, and i have to grease it otherwise it starts to squeak a bit. is it worth upgrading? i know shelling out on a chris king is not cheap, but they do look nice, and would it fit on my bike??

cheers
    James

Don't take this wrong, but because your post is in "Road Beginners" AND you've mentioned having it apart to grease,
    I'm going to cast my vote for operator error. i.e., you have done something wrong. Over tightened, under tightened, assembled wrong, etc. Headsets are simply not that fragile and unless you ride in horrific weather conditions, they don't need a bunch of maintenance. You can spend a bunch on a Chris King or other high end headset but if you don't install it correctly it won't last any longer than the cheapie you've got. Actually I've found no fault in so called cheapie headsets. I've had a 25 dollar Cane Creek one my bike for about 4 years now, have never did anything to it and it's still as smooth as day one. Don't make more of a headset than what they are.
  • jlowdo
    thanks.. so really, best bet is a quick pop into the LBS and ask them to 'right my wrongs'? trying to do any basic maintenance myself to build up my knowledge, but i guess your 'very valid' point is that its probably me and not the component thats causing the issue ;)?

thanks!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    jlowdo wrote:
    thanks.. so really, best bet is a quick pop into the LBS and ask them to 'right my wrongs'? trying to do any basic maintenance myself to build up my knowledge, but i guess your 'very valid' point is that its probably me and not the component thats causing the issue ;)?

thanks!

You sort of have me wrong. I'm not saying you're to blame, just that you could be(key word could). We all have done things wrong to our bikes. That's why this forum exists, for the most part. You shouldn't stop working on your bike because of this. Maybe just make sure you know what you're doing before attempting it. It's a learning process and all of us, who work on our bikes, go through it.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    FSA are a decent brand of headset. If it's squeaking, then either the bearings need replacing; there's movement where there shouldn't be or something that should be free to move is touching something it shouldn't.

If greasing works, then it sounds like the bearings - but it may be that some of the grease is reaching the parts that aren't mating properly. Could the top bearing cover be deformed and touching the head tube?