Fully rigid MTB

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The steerer is the top part of the forks that comes through the headtube on the frame, the stem attaches to that and the bars attach to the stem.

Of course bars won't come with a new stem, it would be silly as they don't know what length of stem you want to go with the bars.

There is no such thing as a perfect combination of lengths to match up with the fork, bar width and stem length match to the frame, your riding, your physique and your preference.

Who cares what bars look like, they perform a function, do they fail to do that in some way, if so what way and why, how wide are your current bars? What backsweep, rise, upsweep?

For someone with such awesome bike control you want a full rigid to fully exploit it, you seem to know jack about bikes......or was that just something you read as well?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubez
    rubez Posts: 323
    Is Lewis Hamilton also a mechanic?! Your logic falls down, especially since I already stated that I know jack about bikes. Hence this thread :roll:

All parts on a bike are functional... doesn't stop people (even you!) from opting for aesthetically pleasing parts, does it?

So... are we saying if I want to change to a rigid fork, I need to start hacksawing stuff?!
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The fork steerer tube, almost certainly. But as you aren't a mechanic get an LBS to do it, plus fit the SFN.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    chrisw333 wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't cut the steerer yourself or even fit the forks until you are far more confident / knowledgeable of the process. It really wont cost much for a shop to do it and getting it wrong is a very costly mistake.

What? Pay an LBS to do work? Pah!

I paid a tenner to get a fork cut and an SFN fitted. Less than the cost of the tools to do it properly many times over.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If the steerer is too long, which it probably will be, then yes you (or someone) will need to get the hacksaw out. Personally I'd go to a bike shop or get a mobile bike mechanic in but I don't want to start that debate up again.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • 97th choice
    passout wrote:
    If the steerer is too long, which it probably will be, then yes you (or someone) will need to get the hacksaw out. Personally I'd go to a bike shop or get a mobile bike mechanic in but I don't want to start that debate up again.

From the previous 7 pages I assume the OP has no idea how to judge the correct steerer length in relation to the spacers and stem to enable him to pretension the headset bearings either.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    cooldad wrote:
    Seriously, read Parktools.

This ^^^. For the umpteenth time
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    rubez wrote:
    What is a steerer anyway? :lol: Are there any guides for this? I can't find any...

I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Umpteenth +1
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    rubez wrote:
    Is Lewis Hamilton also a mechanic?! Your logic falls down, especially since I already stated that I know jack about bikes. Hence this thread :roll:

All parts on a bike are functional... doesn't stop people (even you!) from opting for aesthetically pleasing parts, does it?

So... are we saying if I want to change to a rigid fork, I need to start hacksawing stuff?!
    I think you will find that Lewis (and pretty much any racing driver) knows more about the mechanics of what they are driving than the average mechanic. (Non F1 type)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    rubez wrote:
    What is a steerer anyway? :lol: Are there any guides for this? I can't find any...

+1 potato x n

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    what happens if n is 0 huh what happens then
  • rubez
    Shutdown entire forum.

*refer to parktools* :shock:

I'm not a mechanic, but I can operate a saw, like every other human being.

Star fangled nut?! I thought that was slang!

So, in unnecessarily complicated terms, I need to lop a bit off the top of the forks. Right, why didn't you say that?! :lol:

Why to they make forks, specifically as 'suspension corrected', then make them too big? (if non suspension correction forks are too short?!)
  • 97th choice
    I wish I had found this thread earlier.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    rubez wrote:

So, in unnecessarily complicated terms, I need to lop a bit off the top of the forks. Right, why didn't you say that?! :lol:

Refer to park tools.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rubez

You did. You replied on the first page...

Short memory much? :lol:
  • cooldad
    rubez wrote:
    Shutdown entire forum.

*refer to parktools* :shock:

I'm not a mechanic, but I can operate a saw, like every other human being.

Why to they make forks, specifically as 'suspension corrected', then make them too big? (if non suspension correction forks are too short?!)
    Think about it. You are lopping the steerer, not the leg.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    Don't know why you all gush over parktools, maybe it provides useful info, but it is just a vehicle to sell their overpriced gear.
  • 97th choice
    rubez wrote:

You did. You replied on the first page...

Short memory much? :lol:

Apologies, I'd written you off after your initial posts. Obviously you're a keeper.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rubez
    If all the handlebars are heightened by is a copuple of inches, what's the matter? Is it dangerous, as in less stable mechanically?

Otherwise, I'm sure I can adapt.
  • 97th choice
    You're quite right, something like this would be completely useless to you.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... and-sizing

Just crack on with the hacksaw.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • BigAl
    rubez wrote:
    Don't know why you all gush over parktools, maybe it provides useful info, but it is just a vehicle to sell their overpriced gear.
    rubez wrote:
    If all the handlebars are heightened by is a copuple of inches, what's the matter? Is it dangerous, as in less stable mechanically?

You can take a horse to water.....

You're either
    1) Beyond help
    2) A troll

If you don't like Park Tools, try Sheldon Brown's website (he's no longer of this world so won't try to flog you anything).
    I'm out now - unless any future post of yours demonstrates you have read park Tools / Sheldon Brown
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    rubez wrote:

This is first class trolling. Either that or you're as dumb as a bag of pebbles.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    rubez wrote:

If you raise or lower the bars relative to the saddle, you affect your riding position, which in turn alters how you distribute your weight between the back (saddle and pedals) and the front (handlebars). This in turn affects comfort, balance, how you climb or descend, what happens if the bike leaves the ground for any reason, and what happens when you come back down to Earth. You have two variables at work here - how high the stem is clamped onto the steerer, and where the stem holds the bars (governed in turn by its length and the angle it makes with the steerer) To keep things simple in the first instance, just do your adjusting up or down the steerer until you're comfortable. The stem that came with the bike is probably the right one for most people.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    BigAl wrote:
    You're either
    1) Beyond help
    2) A troll

Did you not get this from the very beginning? I didn't want to go banding the troll word around (afterall I only have 33 posts so far) but I did wonder if he's been playing with you. Expertly trolling but still trolling.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • BigAl
    Lancew wrote:
    BigAl wrote:
    You're either
    1) Beyond help
    2) A troll

Did you not get this from the very beginning? I didn't want to go banding the troll word around (afterall I only have 33 posts so far) but I did wonder if he's been playing with you. Expertly trolling but still trolling.

Err, have you not seen my post from 26th Feb? Here:
    BigAl wrote:
    Rubez - do you live under a bridge?
  • rubez
    Feeding a troll shows a lower intelligence than the troll itself... so you better hope I'm not trolling :lol: Seriously, people just love to 'cry troll'... but that's the snacks trolls love best :x

Anyway, the "Assembly / Disassembly Technique" bit from parktools looks simple, I could follow those steps?

I just undo everything, take the old forks out, making note of the order in which everything goes back together again (the washer/ring type things)

Put the new (too long) forks in, mark, then cut them 3mm below the mark.

fork12.jpg

Is that along the right lines?
  • cooldad
    What do you think?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    Looks like it...

So, assuming that is all correct - am I looking for the star fangled nut to come into contact with the top of the forks? or just as close to it as possible?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No, lower, but not so low your bolt can't reach it.