integrated handlebar cables

harkmeadow
harkmeadow Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Nitpicking question, but how do you prefer / which is the prefered way to run your bike /gear cables when under bar tape. Underneath the bar, or along the front of the bars.

Also, anyone ever had to install a inline cable adjuster for the front derailleur? Never had to before, but had new frame build back from the bike shop and they've installed one as could get the tension on the front derailleur right apparently. I'd have thought just increasing the tension would have done the job, but i'm not a paid mechanic...!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Cables along front / back of bars, never underneath.

Inline cable adjuster for the front mech can be a good thing on frames without downtube adjusters. I speak from experience having set up a CR1 last year without one.
  • Yep, I'd choose front, which is way the bar tape is coming off! Wants job doing properly...
  • I tape under the bar on the inside of the bend, some bars have recesses to allow the outer to sit in so they dont sit proud.

I use front mech adjusters as my bikes have no other way of adjusting.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    You can either faff about trying to slightly tighten or loosen the cable where it attaches, or add an inline adjuster and do it really easily. I know which I prefer.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    In the good old days of down tube friction shifters, no need for adjusters. In the even better days when the right hand shifter still worked on friction and you could trim the front mech, no need for adjusters and setting up a rear was easy. Now, setting up a front is a pia and using an adjuster does make it bit easier.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    chrisw12 wrote:
    In the good old days of down tube friction shifters, no need for adjusters. In the even better days when the right hand shifter still worked on friction and you could trim the front mech, no need for adjusters and setting up a rear was easy. Now, setting up a front is a pia and using an adjuster does make it bit easier.

And this actually answered the OP's question how? :roll:
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I'd say he answered the OPs question by stating that an adjuster makes setting up a front mech a bit easier.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Thanks Gozzy, I thought the last line had pretty much answered the op with an explanation of why.

Thanks tonye for reminding me why I shouldn't post on internet forums.
  • harkmeadow
    harkmeadow Posts: 193
    Yeah, no issues with this answer at all! Thanks all
    chrisw12 wrote: