Alternative suggestions

batmo
batmo Posts: 277
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Here's where I'm at:
Being short of leg and long of body but having considered myself as someone not massively bothered about standover, I've found that there are limits and that the angle of top tube is as important as the dimension on the diagram. Thus I'm returning the Canyon Nerve delivered on Tuesday and by the looks of it, none of their offerings will suit me. I still want a full suspension 29er though.

I've always liked the look of both the Santa Cruz Tallboy or the Yeti SB95 and they seem favourable dimensionally, but unfavourable financially.

The Giant Trance is okay on both dimensions and price, but I'm not sure I actually like it.

If anyone could make some suggestions of other full suss 29ers with similarly swoopy top tube designs, I'd be grateful.
Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
HP Velotechnik Spirit
Brompton M6
Specialized Camber Comp

Comments

• Why does it have to be a 29er?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    edited March 2014
    Why does it have to be a 29er?

he likes lycra?
  • batmo
    Because that suits the kind of riding I want to do. I'm asking for suggestions of bikes in a particular category, not wanting a debate on wheel size standards where the only rule that matters is ride the size you want to ride.
    POAH wrote:
    MOD Edit Cut the homophobic comments out
    I'm not, but why whould that matter?

For people who've posted 10 times as many posts as me, you don't seem to have grasped this forum thing...
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Batmo wrote:

For people who've posted 10 times as many posts as me, you don't seem to have grasped this forum thing...

I think its you that's not grasped the forum thing :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How about the Kona Process 111?
    Low top tube, nice geometry and it's getting great reviews.
  • DirtyHand
    DirtyHand Posts: 10
    ^ this ^ the kona process range looks very good.... tempted to get a test ride on one......

Not a swoopy design but the whyte t-129s is also another getting good reviews.
  • AAddict
    AAddict Posts: 77
    Cube Stereo?
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    POAH wrote:
    Batmo wrote:

I think its you that's not grasped the forum thing :wink:

Nope the op is right, it just seems that lately on here people think that a sarcastic comment is a must.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Anybody that wants to comment on another persons sexual preferences will find themselves having to find another forum!
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Batmo wrote:
    Because that suits the kind of riding I want to do. I'm asking for suggestions of bikes in a particular category, not wanting a debate on wheel size standards where the only rule that matters is ride the size you want to ride.
    POAH wrote:
    MOD Edit Cut the homophobic comments out

By restricting yourself to 29ers, you're in danger of missing the best bikes. Don't focus on wheel size rather focus on use.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • batmo
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    By restricting yourself to 29ers, you're in danger of missing the best bikes. Don't focus on wheel size rather focus on use.
    Okay, I understand your point. My preference is for rides of most of a day duration where the aim is to use the bike as a means to travel under my own steam and enjoy the outdoor spaces I'm passing through. I enjoy the challenge of the more technical sections, but these are part of the mix rather than the point of the exercise.
    Does that help you to make some suggestions?
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Camber evo?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Batmo wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    Okay, I understand your point. My preference is for rides of most of a day duration where the aim is to use the bike as a means to travel under my own steam and enjoy the outdoor spaces I'm passing through. I enjoy the challenge of the more technical sections, but these are part of the mix rather than the point of the exercise.

Sounds like a 29er would be perfect
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    someone mentioned the whyte t129s above , gets great reviews won wmb s trail bike of the year the first 29er to do so. Comes with a reverb stealth dropper , 120 mm travel both ends and £2100 there ya go problem solved .
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279

Tallboy LTc, one of the best trail bikes full stop... and it doesn't ride like a 29r.

To the OP, i've ridden the tallboy and the yeti. The tallboy is a phenomenal ride and well worth the price premium. The yeti is really jeykl and hyde (sp??) with the switch link moving the lower pivot, it's something you really have to try. If you've ridden high end bikes and want a change then the yeti is better, but the tallboy is the classically better ride if you see what I mean??

Bear in mind the 2014 frame has the carbon rear triangle which saves 1/2 a lbs and its the same price as the older aluminium frame. Avoid the 2014 comp (full alloy frame) as it has a noticably inferior shock.
  • batmo
    tarbot18 wrote:
    someone mentioned the whyte t129s above , gets great reviews won wmb s trail bike of the year the first 29er to do so. Comes with a reverb stealth dropper , 120 mm travel both ends and £2100 there ya go problem solved .
    It does look like a great bike, but on paper at least, it would give me the same issue as the Canyon.
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • tarbot18 wrote:

I have a whyte t-129s, great bike, just go buy one.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Batmo wrote:

I love this description. Personally I prefer the thrill sections most, but know people exactly like this. Agree a 29er does seem to suit.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I'm sure a 29er would suite perfectly, but so would any other short travel full suspension bike. Good luck with whatever you get.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Does it have to be a full suss I have a carbon 29er hardtail and 99% of the time I dont miss the squidge and the 1% of the time I do miss it I stand up and use my built in suspension. From what you want to do I reckon a nice steel or if you have the money Titanium 29er like a Cotic Solaris or Pipedream Sirius Ti would fill your requirements. Simple, light and pretty reliable.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • batmo
    stubs wrote:
    Does it have to be a full suss I have a carbon 29er hardtail and 99% of the time I dont miss the squidge and the 1% of the time I do miss it I stand up and use my built in suspension. From what you want to do I reckon a nice steel or if you have the money Titanium 29er like a Cotic Solaris or Pipedream Sirius Ti would fill your requirements. Simple, light and pretty reliable.
    It doesn't have to be a full suss, but I've ridden rigid/hardtail for the last 15 years and I fancy seeing how the other half live! I'm 47 and the "built in suspension" isn't what it was...
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • batmo
    Cqc wrote:
    Camber evo?
    Just to tie up loose ends, after a number of test rides I've settled on the Camber so thanks for the suggestion Cqc.
    Although by the clever marketing ploy of knocking £300 off the price, I've been persuaded to order the Carbon Comp version.
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Enjoy the ride :)