New to MTB - Kona Cindercone!

will_85
will_85 Posts: 84
edited March 2014 in MTB beginners
Heres a quick pic (not a great one) of my Kona Cindercone, think its a 2005 model, so a bit of an oldie! Bought it about a year ago, but its been sat still until now.... Its in great condition, the rear wheel needs trueing and 2 spokes replacing, other than that is seems really solid, good breaks & gears and the fork is in great nick. I paid £130 for it, which seems like a pretty good price.... Gearing is a shimano XT / Deore, Avid breaks... Ive put some wellgo platform pedals on it so far, aswell as a carbon seat post & bottle cage from my road bike. Next up will be some new tyres, get the rear wheel sorted & get it out for a ride. Cant wait to get out on it :)

1798720_10151882302286536_936302110_n.jpg

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good first bike! It's brakes by the way, Breaks are what you suffer when you have no brakes!

Pretty sure those aren't Avid brakes, they may be Avid levers, callipers look more like Tektro.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • drmb
    drmb Posts: 4
    Love it - a Kona Cindercone was my first 'real' MTB.
    Looks like you got a bargain too.
  • will_85
    will_85 Posts: 84
    *Brakes :oops:

Might well just be the Avid levers then! And yea, seems like a good buy.

The rear wheel is slightly buckled and needs 2 spokes replacing... Is it going to be a good idea to just fix it, or am I much better off with a new wheel all together?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just replace them. Easy cheap fix.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools