Can anyone lend Shimano square taper BB remover - TL-UN74-S

mr.b-campag
mr.b-campag Posts: 384
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

First post here. As you can see from my user name I'm a campag devotee! I've ended up with a shimano (square taper) bb in my bike which I'd like to remove and chuck away (it's seen better days). Does anyone have one of these tools I might borrow (from South or Central London) or, failing that, wants to off load one cheaply? I only want to use this tool once (I have the requisite campag one) so I'm not keen on paying a load of money for one of these or to my lbs for something I'm going to use for all of 2 minutes...

Yours in sport,

B

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    They cost £6 online new, I'd just buy one. It doesn't have to be the official Shimano version.
  • Thanks Major - can you point me in the right direction online?
  • Perfect! Thank you. Didn't know such things existed: most shops only seem to have Shimano or the equally expensive Park tools. I'm all for good quality stuff but it makes no sense in this case. Thanks again! :)
  • mr.b-campag
    Well I got the tool and the left cup popped out with no bother. The rhs, however, is refusing to budge. I've sprayed some gt85 on it but all I seem to be doing is rounding down the cup (which is plastic!). Anyone any ideas, or do I just need to leave the oil to soak longer e.g. overnight?

Thanks

B
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Are you turning it the right way?
  • mr.b-campag
    That's a good question! And the answer is I don't know :oops: Which way should I be undoing the drive side? I'd assumed anti-clockwise, is that not the case?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    That's a good question! And the answer is I don't know :oops: Which way should I be undoing the drive side? I'd assumed anti-clockwise, is that not the case?

You probably have an English bottom bracket which needs to be turned clockwise to undo the chainset side.
  • mr.b-campag
    In which case I think I'm in trouble. This tool that I bought doesn't really fit very well and now it has started to round down the bb cup it's not going anywhere :( Any ideas? The outside of the cup has six grooves in it and I've been looking around to see if there is a spanner which fits that but no luck so far. Does anyone know of one, or have any other ideas?
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    I think this is the point where you admit defeat, and take it to a bike shop. They have the tools and experience to deal with most situations, and it won't cost very much anyway.
  • mr.b-campag
    Unfortunately I think you're right bill :( I like doing my own maintenance but this doesn't seem to be happening. Lbs has quoted me £25 - does that sound reasonable/about the going rate?
  • bill57
    It might seem expensive for something they might achieve in ten minutes, but remember they are in business and have to survive, which is not easy these days. In addition, you're pretty stuck here - once the bracket is out it'll seem like money well spent. I know, I've done it.
    Don't give up on doing your own maintenance. Most jobs on a bike are not difficult and well within the capabilities of the home mechanic. With a few tools (and you don't need many) you can strip and service your bike completely and know that it's in perfect shape.
    Unsurprisingly, the bottom bracket can frequently be an exception to this - they can be very tight or just seized solid if not removed and re-greased regularly (copper grease on the threads), and the temptation to ignore it is strong (twiddle the spindle, yup, feels okay, slap the cranks back on). Plus you must have the right tools - I wouldn't like to think of the number of bottom brackets (and frames?) that have been wrecked by mole grips and pipe wrenches.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The bike shop 'method' for removing stuck plastic BB cups is simply smash them out with a 4lb club hammer - if you already have got one of the cups loose, there's nothing much holding it in place. With the bearings removed, the plastic piece is easy to break out with pliers etc.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "The outside of the cup has six grooves in it "

That sounds like a square taper Campag BB like Veloce

eg http://www.bikepartsplace.com/discount/ ... e-italian/

Now I'm confused. If it's a Shimano square taper cartridge BB the cup should be inside the BB shell and all you should be able to see are the internal splines. Also it's common for the non drive side to be plastic, but the drive side, which is integral to the cartridge, is usually metal.

A photo would help a lot
  • mr.b-campag
    Well, it's out now! The bike shop only charged me £15 in the end. I guess it only took them a couple of minutes but good of them to pass it on. Good service too, no bs and a text when the work was done so a tip of the hat to the folks at:

http://www.crazyhorsebikeworkshop.co.uk.

Btw that tool is of no use to me now, so if anyone wants it and can pick it up from Tooting or Victoria let me know.

ps - I've got another bb question, but I think it makes more sense to start a new thread on that. Thanks again for everyone's help.
  • bill57
    Keep the tool. You may not think you need it now, but the day will come!