Specialized Allez Sport OK for a Beginner??

chiproberts
chiproberts Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Been doing a few short weekend rides with my older “Sports Authority” special and looking for my first “real road bike”. Been test riding a few brands at my LBS and settle of one or two that I like. My co-worker has a “one summer” used Specialized Allez Sport” in my size of 58 and less than half the $cost$ of new. My short test ride on the bike felt okay but had real concerns on bikes intended purpose. I am looking for a bike for a general longer ride or weekend group rides. Research seems to indicate the Allez more an aggressive geometry and built for speed not longevity. Being a true beginner, is the Allez Sport too much, not right? The initial fit seems okay but just not sure longterm? Any suggestions on the Allez Sport for beginners is much appreciated.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    For a year old hardly used bike half price is a reasonable deal. Bikes like the Allez assuming it is setup correctly for your are fine over long distances. If you find the position too aggressive you can put more spacers under the stem or even flip the stem to the up right position. Have a read on the web for bike setup guides.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My first proper road bike was/is the Allez - it's fine for long distances and group rides - if anything I'd like to get the bars a little lower ...
    I'm not young either ...
  • Surely a secteur is what you should be buying then?
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Allez is perfect for beginners. The geo is not aggressive, it is just that there are some very relaxed geos around now. Getting the right size, irrespective of price, is more important in most cases, IMO.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    The Allez is perfect for beginners. The geo is not aggressive, it is just that there are some very relaxed geos around now. Getting the right size, irrespective of price, is more important in most cases, IMO.
    Compared to my brothers road bike the Allez is upright ....
  • Thanks for responses... The Secteur was/is on my short list but being such a beginner, I can not really tell a great deal of difference. Also - I will confess, my test rides have been very short thus far. I know price should not drive it but the Allez is at half the cost of a new model as I am picking up the Allez slightly used . Sounds like I might be okay with the Allez Sport but Secteur could be better suited if I really get into longer rides??? Thanks again advice...
  • Both will be fine, just ride them both and see which you prefer, and if you can't pick between them that way go for which ever looks better or you feel you are getting the best deal on.
  • Thanks for responses... The Secteur was/is on my short list but being such a beginner, I can not really tell a great deal of difference. Also - I will confess, my test rides have been very short thus far. I know price should not drive it but the Allez is at half the cost of a new model as I am picking up the Allez slightly used . Sounds like I might be okay with the Allez Sport but Secteur could be better suited if I really get into longer rides??? Thanks again advice...

Secteur is built for more relaxed geometry and vibration damping (hertz) to prevent road buzz fatigue so is more suited to longer or gentler riding. Allez is slightly more aggressive in it's position.

Both great bikes
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Have a look at the Boardman clearance section of the Halfords site.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    Great bike.

I rode the entry level Spesh allez 2004 bike for 7 years - even did 1000km in 5 days over the pyrenees on it.
  • Ringpeace
    Ringpeace Posts: 105
    I have a 2011 Allez - my first road bike - and absolutely still love it. Not sure is the sport is a better model and I am not too keen on the recent graphics on the newer ones.

Mine has been a brilliant beginner bike. Unfortunately she is now relegated to my winter and wet weather bike but still gets used every week and I ain't selling her unless I get a touring bike.

I now have a Scott CR1 which is like going from a Fiesta to a Porsche but I don't worry about the Spesh and she keeps me honest in this crap weather.

I also don't worry about locking it up, with good locking technique and security parts - when the CR1 I would never leave out of my sight - let along lock up or leave unattended!

The other benefit is, being a Spesh, they hold their value as long as they are well maintained. Unlike say, a Btwin which I can't imagine do.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Ringpeace wrote:
    The other benefit is, being a Spesh, they hold their value as long as they are well maintained. Unlike say, a Btwin which I can't imagine do.

I reckon if anything, the opposite is true, you pay a premium for brands like Specialized and will probably take a bit of a hit if you come to sell, something like Btwin are much cheaper to start with so probably wouldn't take such a hit on depreciation.

Having said that though the Allez is a great bike and like many others it was my first proper bike which I still have as a bad weather bike.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Ringpeace
    Ringpeace Posts: 105
    arran77 wrote:
    Ringpeace wrote:

I reckon if anything, the opposite is true, you pay a premium for brands like Specialized and will probably take a bit of a hit if you come to sell, something like Btwin are much cheaper to start with so probably wouldn't take such a hit on depreciation.

Having said that though the Allez is a great bike and like many others it was my first proper bike which I still have as a bad weather bike.

Yeah - depends on how long you are planning on keeping it and if you upgrade and look after it. If you just want a 1st road bike to see whether you like it but are planning on spending more if you agree with it and leave it as factory spec then you are right.

I've looked after mine and upgraded it - basically only the frame and forks are original. I could easily sell it within a week for over £400 - that doesn't take into account the £ I have spent on it - but the fact it is Specialized means it will get a lot of interest - and sell.

By making the same upgrades to a Btwin - it wouldn't. It's brand snobbery - and the reason I went for the Allez over better specced bikes at similar prices - mine was an insurance replacement.

Like you - mine is now my wet weather bike. If I am feeling flush I might put 105 on it or see what Planet X can offer with some bosses and rack mounts.

Either way - I love that bike!
  • Can vouch for the Allez, top bike for beginnners like me!

I have just splashed out on a 105 groupset and some carbon rims for my 2012 entry level version to get a bit more out of it.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I've got a 2013 Allez Sport and I love it. I'm a novice to road biking but have been riding since I was about 5 for getting A to B.

Its done London to Brighton twice last year and I had no problems with it, in fact I really enjoy getting out on the road.

I also got my little brother an Allez base model and he's pretty happy too.

I would go on the 2nd hand bike.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    My first road bike was an Allez, the Allez Sport was my bike of choice when I got back into it after a few years off. Superb bikes, can't speak highly enough of them for a beginner, although to be fair they're good enough bikes for all abilities.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I have mates who own them and my son has a hand me down from his elder brother, a little 47cm Allez Sport. Absolutely superb beginner bike in my opinion. Only negative was the Sora thumb shift (about 2010/11 I think) which is just a bit too agricultural for his 11yr old thumb to shift from big to small on the front mech. Solved this by fitting him a bar end shifter and he is now good to go once again.

I'd go for the second hand Allez Sport if I were you, assuming it is the right size and it has been reasonably looked after.

PP