Rapha - They have put their prices up!

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Not sure why Ugo defends Rapha on these forums. Many threads on this forum are repetitious and boring, why pick on this one? Its a forum about cycling, how many things are there to talk about? Are Future trying to persuade Rapha to advertise on here?
    Ive bought lots of Rapha clothes but I just think they've gone too far this time, in one huge leap.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ive bought lots of Rapha clothes but I just think they've gone too far this time, in one huge leap.

So what are you suggesting should be done - a judicial enquiry into Rapha's pricing policy? Maybe a UN resolution threatening military action unless they reduce their prices to pre-2014 levels?

Or maybe just don't buy it.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Not sure why Ugo defends Rapha on these forums. Many threads on this forum are repetitious and boring, why pick on this one? Its a forum about cycling, how many things are there to talk about? Are Future trying to persuade Rapha to advertise on here?

Can't speak for ugo, but personally I get bored of all these rapha bashing threads as well. It is what it is. Sure there's some slick marketing in there, but the stuff performs well. Sure it is expensive, but these days, you either go two ways with your brand, up or down. The middle ground is disappearing, you are either a value brand or a luxury brand. Rapha know their market and if you are not part of it, I am sure they will survive.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,168
    Dude,

I don't defend nobody... they have their agenda and to make a profit they'll have to charge more, clearly... maybe that means employing a few more people or applying London Wage to their staff based here, I don't know... I don't do their books... I don't think they charge more to light their cigars with 50 quid notes, do you?

What I know is that I like what they do for cycling in this country... I have watched films for free, I have done cycling events for free... what has Castelli done for me?

If you don't take advantage of what they do, that's too bad for you, you should... now go watch the film about the Giro 1974... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    edited March 2014
    ^ all very true

Underneath all the marketting and bollocks, they are very, very passionate about cycling. I've met a number of their staff, particularly when they put together a group of them to ride Paris-Brest-Paris. The Audax world (renowned for old gits with beards, Caradice and mudguards) was clearly wary of these young trendy things turning up at rides, but very quickly warmed to them and had a lot of respect for them in the end. Just nice guys who like riding bikes.

Similarly, bashing my way across a windy coastline towards Robin Hood's Bay on the hardest 600 of the year, a Rapha Citron van passed my with their traditional Tour de France horn going waving madly. Made me smile and lifted my spirits.

Ultan Coyle, one of their graphic designers has won the National 24 hour time trial championships.

They do love cycling and they've found a way to make money from it - good on them.

FWIW - I do own a few Rapha pieces, they all work very well (long-sleeved jerseys, pro team bibs etc.). I can't kit myself head to toe in it in all seasons, but I enjoy the bits I own and no doubt I will be buying other clothes from them in the years to come.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Dude,

I don't defend nobody... they have their agenda and to make a profit they'll have to charge more, clearly... maybe that means employing a few more people or applying London Wage to their staff based here, I don't know... I don't do their books... I don't think they charge more to light their cigars with 50 quid notes, do you?

What I know is that I like what they do for cycling in this country... I have watched films for free, I have done cycling events for free... what has Castelli done for me?

If you don't take advantage of what they do, that's too bad for you, you should... now go watch the film about the Giro 1974... :wink:

Great post!

They've probably put their prices up because they've done their sums and realised that they can. That's just commerce, isn't it? Beyond that, there's no denying the quality of their product. Whether it's worth the money is for each of us to decide individually. Personally speaking I cannot unless for a special treat.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    The Sky deal might be costing them more than expected too.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    With all the hate flying around, I'll add in a positive story as Rapha have been very kind to me.

My brother suddenly passed away in January and I had some Rapha kit of his that I couldn't use but didn't want to sell. Rapha took it back for a full refund without question.

After hearing of my loss and in place of official sponsorship (which they can't do because they support a single nominated charity) they are providing me with a full Classics pack for the charity ride I'm doing in my brother's memory.

A wonderful gesture I'm sure you'd all agree.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Wow, that's great to hear Shamrock, and it makes a change to hear good service spoken of. Good work Rapha people.

On the matter of cost, it's a premium, aspirational, 'lifestyle' brand, just like there are in many sectors (fashion, cars, holidays etc). I can't afford most of it, but then again I can't afford a Mercedes or a BMW either (what's the cycling equivalent of a second hand Peugeot?).

I disagree about Torm though, I think their jerseys are just as good as the similar spec Rapha stuff, and I too have both to choose from.
  • thegreatdivide
    With all the hate flying around, I'll add in a positive story as Rapha have been very kind to me.

My brother suddenly passed away in January and I had some Rapha kit of his that I couldn't use but didn't want to sell. Rapha took it back for a full refund without question.

After hearing of my loss and in place of official sponsorship (which they can't do because they support a single nominated charity) they are providing me with a full Classics pack for the charity ride I'm doing in my brother's memory.

That is indeed a really nice gesture from Rapha.

Sorry about your brother :-(
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    just a different thing about the pricing, i wouldn't mind quite as much but they have stopped the refer a friend plus, bundles sen few and far between at the moment, but of a triple whammy!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • jonny_trousers

I disagree about Torm though, I think their jerseys are just as good as the similar spec Rapha stuff, and I too have both to choose from.

I love my Torm sportwhool jersey, but it really does hang onto sweat in a way that my Rapha one does not. I'd agree that the tailoring is pretty similar, though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Honestly?

The thing that really annoy me is that over the winter some moths found their way into my favourite Rapha jersey leaving a couple of holes behind, while they totally ignored the Torm one... that says a lot about which one is better... :wink:
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Honestly?

The thing that really annoy me is that over the winter some moths found their way into my favourite Rapha jersey leaving a couple of holes behind, while they totally ignored the Torm one... that says a lot about which one is better... :wink:

No it says a lot about which one was cleaner :wink:
  • on-yer-bike
    LegendLust wrote:
    Honestly?

No it says a lot about which one was cleaner :wink:

Send it back for a free repair.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • jonny_trousers
    Honestly?

No, I was lying.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    lets face it wearing rapha is like owning an audi these days... :D
  • evs78
    evs78 Posts: 133

Great story - sorry to hear about your brother and good luck with the ride.

I am a recent convert to Rapha thanks to their recent 2 day sale in Manchester and a timely tax rebate! I picked up a la centieme jersey which was great quality and looks good on or off the bike and then picked up a long sleeve brevet in the sale which I love. Not cheap, but neither are rolex and people still buy them. Rapha have built a great brand based on desirable, high quality kit and good luck to them.
    All the gear and no idea...
  • on-yer-bike
    Ive got an Audi and lots of Rapha so Im the perfect stereotype.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,578
    For me, the key to Rapha ownership is careful shopping. Hit the sales at the right times and you can take some sting out of the price, but, none the less, its lovely stuff and no matter what anyone says, the price difference is noticeable in its quality.

One other thing with Rapha, look after it and you can sell on eBay for ridiculously high prices ... its almost like you just pay a deposit to Rapha to wear it, and the get your money back via eBay when youve had enough of it :lol:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Evs78 wrote:
    I picked up a la centieme jersey which was great quality and looks good on or off the bike

Please god no….
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    CarbonClem wrote:
    For me, the key to Rapha ownership is careful shopping. Hit the sales at the right times and you can take some sting out of the price, but, none the less, its lovely stuff and no matter what anyone says, the price difference is noticeable in its quality.

One other thing with Rapha, look after it and you can sell on eBay for ridiculously high prices ... its almost like you just pay a deposit to Rapha to wear it, and the get your money back via eBay when youve had enough of it :lol:

This :D
  • I like my Rapha stuff.

Good to hear the positive side of things from shamrock. Although sorry for your loss.
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • thegreatdivide
    CarbonClem wrote:

This :D

+1
  • I go into their shop and after wincing and wringing hands I do buy their kit. It is superb quality and as people have highlighted they support British cycling through sponsorship (Rapha Condor I am thinking) and their service is impeccable. Also they sell nice coffee and their muffins are lovely as well.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Rouleur seems to be a lot thinner this month...coincidence?
  • Rouleur seems to be a lot thinner this month...coincidence?

Let's not get started on the fact that Rouleur costs TEN POUNDS.
  • jazgill
    jazgill Posts: 98
    So What ?

You make your choice and pay your money !
  • ugo.santalucia
    I go into their shop and after wincing and wringing hands I do buy their kit. It is superb quality and as people have highlighted they support British cycling through sponsorship (Rapha Condor I am thinking) and their service is impeccable. Also they sell nice coffee and their muffins are lovely as well.

Personally I don't give a toss that they sponsor racing teams, local or PRO... in fact I wish they didn't sponsor Sky... it's what they do for me personally that matters to me. I have taken advantage of their freebies on more than one occasion and always enjoyed... films, rides... etc..
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    I go into their shop and after wincing and wringing hands I do buy their kit. It is superb quality and as people have highlighted they support British cycling through sponsorship (Rapha Condor I am thinking) and their service is impeccable. Also they sell nice coffee and their muffins are lovely as well.

The sponsorship with Rapha Condor ends this year and they won't be continuing. They want to focus on the big boys with Team Sky.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****