Dual pivot brakes installation

kambuh
kambuh Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Hi guys,
Will I be able to fix dual pivot brakes on this frame (see photo)?
I'm thinking about converting my Pinnacle Neon Hybrid into Cycle-Cross/Road bike.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    No.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    redvee wrote:
    No.

What's that hole in the frame for? :?
  • Mudguard mount hole most likely. Or maybe a race number? :mrgreen:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want to run CX tyres, then you'd not be able to use a caliper (dual pivot) brakes anyway due to a lack of clearance. You vee brakes are more powerful and probably lighter than most calipers anyway.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kambuh
    kambuh Posts: 13
    Monty Dog wrote:
    If you want to run CX tyres, then you'd not be able to use a caliper (dual pivot) brakes anyway due to a lack of clearance. You vee brakes are more powerful and probably lighter than most calipers anyway.
    What about these brakes?
    They seem to work with CX tyres...
  • kambuh wrote:
    Hi guys,
    Will I be able to fix dual pivot brakes on this frame (see photo)?
    I'm thinking about converting my Pinnacle Neon Hybrid into Cycle-Cross/Road bike.

The hole looks too small and the gap looks too big. That's a mudguard hole. That frame was designed for a V-brake, hence the canti/V boss mounts your brake is currently on. In fact, because those brakes look to have quite short arms, if you wanted to change to drop bars (presuming you have flats), you could get away with using the same brakes with your new drop bar shifters/STI levers.

If you want to change the style of brake then just change the tyres. I don't think there's any real reason to change the V-brake arms. They'll likely work better and there's still a decent amount of mud clearance. You could actually fit centre pull cantilever brakes like Avid Shorty s if you wanted a more cyclo cross style and more mud clearance.