2013-2014 Domestic scene/transfers

2»

Comments

• I'm not involved with the domestic racing scene in any way other than as a fan, but I know people who are e.g. one guy who's been organising an annual track day for juniors for a few years now up in the Midlands - says he gets bugger all help from BC, instead its like jumping through hoops. Standard stuff for grassroots, voluntary thing for him, forks out for the prizes out of his own pocket etc.

BC serve the top end well, and the participation/leisure etc demographic, lobbying the govt re safety etc
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Hosting a national champs or round of a series can actually cost a club money. BC take the entry fees (in return they provide race numbers, finish gantries, PA etc. etc.) but there are still other costs to cover which means the club either fund them or they need sponsors. That said, I've found BC at regional level (i.e. Welsh Cycling in my case) to be very helpful in getting races up and running.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    There was no masters RR champs in 2013, fortunately it’s back in the calendar this year
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    UCI Europe Tour Fictitious Continental Team Ranking 2014 released

1 Adria Mobil (SLO) 997 points
    2 Kolss Cycling Team (UKR) 830
    3 Cycling Team De Rijke (NED) 579
    40 An Post (IRL) 143
    49 Raleigh (GB) 117
    67 Madison Genesis (GB) 77
    76 Rapha Condor JLT (GB) 56
    104 NFTO (GB) 8

By comparison Endura were 2nd in 2012

Top 3 get automatic entry to all European .2 level races.
  • lyn1 wrote:
    UCI Europe Tour Fictitious Continental Team Ranking 2014 released

1 Adria Mobil (SLO) 997 points
    2 Kolss Cycling Team (UKR) 830
    3 Cycling Team De Rijke (NED) 579
    40 An Post (IRL) 143
    49 Raleigh (GB) 117
    67 Madison Genesis (GB) 77
    76 Rapha Condor JLT (GB) 56
    104 NFTO (GB) 8

By comparison Endura were 2nd in 2012

Top 3 get automatic entry to all European .2 level races.

something tells me NFTO will be a fair way higher up this year
  • Pross
    I'm not sure if it's a joke or a genuine rumour but if it is the case NFTO have their sights on a ridiculously high profile signing for next season. I'm keeping quiet for now as I'm worried I've missed some in joke but nothing would surprise me given the team owner's ambition!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    they're after Sagan i heard or just made up, one of the two but i'm not sure
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    gsk82 wrote:

Not quite but not far off on the ludicrous scale, maybe on a par 5 to 10 years ago. Let's just say he'd hand out a good hammering on the domestic scene and wouldn't be a complete stranger to at least one of the current line up. Like I said, I suspect I've fallen into the trap of being gullible but nothing would surprise me.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    It may not be that unrealistic that they are seeking better riders (some far better) if they are serious about going Pro Conti next year. Based on last years performances, none of their 4 experienced riders are at the level they were at a few years back. They also have at least half a dozen riders who need to step up to put in consistent performances at the sharp end of non-UCI Premiers, let alone riding alongside World Tour teams every week. Unless there are some significant improvements (and the coaching may help), they will need about 10 higher profile signings not just 1 and a shed load of cash. Endura are a large profitable outfit and they couldn't fund the step up without merging.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Pross wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Not quite but not far off on the ludicrous scale, maybe on a par 5 to 10 years ago. Let's just say he'd hand out a good hammering on the domestic scene and wouldn't be a complete stranger to at least one of the current line up. Like I said, I suspect I've fallen into the trap of being gullible but nothing would surprise me.

Jesus, not BW...even Mr Arms Dealer-cum-bike shop owner can't think he could pull that off!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Hushovd? Someone else from bmc?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    gsk82 wrote:
    Hushovd? Someone else from bmc?

It's the rumour I heard but I wouldn't stake my non-existent reputation on it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are trying but I would be surprised if they succeed. That said, 12 months ago I'd have been surprised if someone told me a small, pretty new local trade team were going to sign both Downings, Blythe and Yates.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Jesus, not BW...even Mr Arms Dealer-cum-bike shop owner can't think he could pull that off!

Having spoken with him a few times I reckon if he puts his mind to something he gets what he wants so nothing would surprise me. He comes across as a pretty forthright but decent bloke and he certainly loves the sport.
  • Richmond Racer
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Having spoken with him a few times I reckon if he puts his mind to something he gets what he wants so nothing would surprise me. He comes across as a pretty forthright but decent bloke and he certainly loves the sport.

Nah, can't see it. Might have worked on Blythe who was in a bit of a bleak spot, but otherwise...
  • Richmond Racer
    ^God knows what he was up to there

As someone else posted on the Omloop thread, young James Shaw won Junior KBK - which is a pretty immense result

Video highlights
    http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/11289
  • Richmond Racer
    mroli wrote:
    Maybe they'll sign up Phil West - 3rd Cat finishing 10th at the Eddie Soens! http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/british-racing/raleighs-ian-wilkinson-wins-eddie-soens-memorial-116500

:) Brilliant!
  • Richmond Racer
    Sounds like a great ride by Tom Moses (RaphaCondorJLT) to win today's stage of Tour de Normandie, and take yellow. Solo win, attacked at 12km to go and held off the bunch (via team's twitter feed)

Mark Christian (Team Raleigh) took the sprints jersey
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Nice little website too: http://www.tourdenormandiecycliste.fr/

Some good conti teams (and Bretagne in it too). Nice cycling round that way too...
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Elsewhere, Douglas Dewey won one of the French national elite series, La Fleche de Locmine.
  • mroli
    Not really domestic - but Mzansi Tour - Rapha Condor JLT win the opening Team Time Trial - Kristian House into lead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VnjYZp ... e=youtu.be
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Nah, can't see it. Might have worked on Blythe who was in a bit of a bleak spot, but otherwise...

I think what really got Blythe on was the fact that BMC kicked him off, and NFTO pay more or less double! I'd move down 2 steps for that

not sure how true all the rumours of the massive wages are, I heard from a Welsh cyclist that Blythe and Downings wages are more like 60k...

Lots of teams over the years have said they want to go pro conti, only Endura have done it and that was a merger with an existing pro conti team so will be interesting to see if any of them actually make the step up
  • mroli
    Don't think that this has been done anywhere else - but as well as Rapha Condor JLT cleaning up on the domestic front, they also won the Tour of Korea with Hugh Carthy, who also won best young rider, won 2 stages through Rich Handley and Mike Cuming and Elliot Porter had the KOM jersey for 2 stages.

http://www.tourdekorea.or.kr/tdk2014/elite_eng/contents/pr/news_view.asp?Num_P=9&Page=1&SearchType=Title&SearchWord= for a little report on it - I know that the "standard" is not the highest, but a great achievement by a young team given the likes of English, Briggs, House, Opie etc have all been racing in the tour series. Tom Moses also in the Commies road team as well. Going out with a bang this season...
  • mroli
    Did I miss something :?:
    Also I don't think there are any plans for the team to fold. Rapha are withdrawing, we know that, but JLT I believe will be putting in another ludicrous cash sum next year if they win the tour series (hence why they're putting in lots of effort to win it!) and nothing if they don't, so this is their make or break year really.
    They won the Tour Series Team Competition (as you said their aim) this year with a round to go: http://www.tourseries.co.uk/news/9883.php that's why I said "cleaning up". It was not an attempt to claim that they have won everything - there has been some great riding by various riders this year.

I know that the team is not folding, but Rapha have been involved for 9 years now and it will be a "different" team without their input, even though JLT are (hopefully) stepping up to the plate. Considering the injuries and problems they've had this year, they are doing very well? (IMHO)