Man Utd performance against Olympiakos, shambolic !!

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited March 2014 in The bottom bracket
Who saw it last night ?

Utd could hardly string a pass together, Van Persie forgot his Labrador and white stick, Rooney was anonymous , Welbeck was a non-event and so the shambolic list goes on. I think Fergie knew that team would grow old overnight and got out on the crest of a high with solid gold legacy intact.

Poor Moyes, fans are calling for his head on a daily basis and their league performance has been risible.

Who witnessed the match last night ?
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Dipped in and out. Comical to watch at times.

Don't worry, they'll do them over 3 nil at Old Trafford.
  • johnny25 wrote:

I wouldn't bet on it, this Utd team seem to be running on empty and their whole demeanour resembles a beaten and lacklustre unit.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Rooney can afford to be anonymous for the rest of his career now though. The more the season goes on, the more Fergie must be laughing at what a good stitch up he has done on Moyes and how he has cemented his legendary status at the club without even having to work himself! It's great :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Fantastic wasn't it.

Long live David Moyes :mrgreen:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    They probably need to spend £150m to get their starting XI up to the challenge of competing for the PL and CL. They have nearly £400m of debt. Van Persie will need replacing soon and their only world class players under 30 are Rooney, Mata and (potentially) Januzaj. So maybe that'll be £200m. Without CL football.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • finchy
    Stevo 666 wrote:

And the Glazers. And Cleverley. And Shrek.
  • pensioners-blunkett_801101c.jpg

Above Van Persie , Rooney and Rio Ferdinand discuss what went wrong.

Ive no doubt that Moyes walked into the MU job with his eyes shut, big debts, ridiculous players wages bill and ageing squad. Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal are where its at in the premier league with Liverpool being a runt clinging at their heels. Moyes simply took on a very poisonous chalice that Fergie walked away from rubbing his hands and smiling like a Cheshire cat......I feel sorry for David Moyes , wonder what his bpm would be like if he was wearing a heart meter.

kimura-400.jpg

Not even Ryan Giggs ( above ^ ) could have helped united in that match last night.
  • pensioners-blunkett_801101c.jpg

Above Van Persie , Rooney and Rio Ferdinand discuss what went wrong.

Ive no doubt that Moyes walked into the MU job with his eyes shut, big debts, ridiculous players wages bill and ageing squad. Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal are where its at in the premier league with Liverpool being a runt clinging at their heels and Moyes simply took on a very poisonous chalice that Fergie walked away from rubbing his hands and smiling like a Cheshire cat......I feel sorry for David Moyes , wonder what his bpm would be like if he was wearing a heart meter.
    I don't feel sorry for him, he's had 2 transfer windows to do something about it and all he's done is bring in Mata and give the under performing Rooney a new contract worth 300k a week!!!. He should have been making wholesale changes as soon as he arrived and accepted that they'd take time to gel into a decent team, he's done nothing to refresh the team and replace the ageing players like Giggs, Fedinand and Evra, he spent £27m on the wrong player from Everton and hasn't binned the useless players like Young, Cleverly, Buckner, Nani who have all consistently done bugger all for Man Utd.
    The problem he's going to have now is that unlike the summer of 2013 when he could have probably secured some decent players with the prospect of Champions League football, he's not going to have that luxury in the summer transfer window so he still needs to make changes but the players he wants won't come to the club because he won't be able to offer them Champions League football and possibly not even in the Europa league football.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • That Olympiakos team hadn't got a striker worth a damn , in the upper 25 yards of the pitch their passing was pitiful and they had the worst player on the pitch in Holebas yet they still stiffed MU 2-0 on the night. If they had have had a natural striker in the team the score could have been as much as 4-0 or 5-0 in my opinion, and if that had happened then Moyes would have been standing in the dole queue today for sure.
  • finchy
    I don't feel sorry for him, he's had 2 transfer windows to do something about it and all he's done is bring in Mata and give the under performing Rooney a new contract worth 300k a week!!!. He should have been making wholesale changes as soon as he arrived and accepted that they'd take time to gel into a decent team, he's done nothing to refresh the team and replace the ageing players like Giggs, Fedinand and Evra, he spent £27m on the wrong player from Everton and hasn't binned the useless players like Young, Cleverly, Buckner, Nani who have all consistently done bugger all for Man Utd.

It's true that Fellaini was a massive waste of money, but which manager hasn't bought the wrong player before? And if he'd got rid of the useless players he would've got f**k all in way of transfer fees to rebuild the squad. It's looking more and more like he's not up to the job of managing United, but his transfers aren't enough to go on.

The Rooney contract situation and the dire football on the other hand....
    The problem he's going to have now is that unlike the summer of 2013 when he could have probably secured some decent players with the prospect of Champions League football, he's not going to have that luxury in the summer transfer window so he still needs to make changes but the players he wants won't come to the club because he won't be able to offer them Champions League football and possibly not even in the Europa league football.

Not only that but there'll be other United players knocking on the door asking for £300k/week.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    As per Gab Marcotti on The Game podcast, the Rooney deal is 'up to 300k per week', and we can all say we earn 'up to' that amount.

Who knows what the makeup is re image rights, performance (!) bonuses, and all that.

Plus it means he doesn't go to Chelsea for another couple of years, or until the next time he throws his toys about.
  • IMO NO PLAYER IS WORTH £300K PER WEEK

That is a disgraceful amount to be paying anyone and Rooney has a neck on him , I know life long football followers and regardless of club allegiances they unanimously agree that something is very very wrong. The way things are going the club janitor will be looking to speak to Moyes about a £125,000 per year pay rise.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    After a Man United defeat I always find it very entertaining to go onto the Man United fans forum (Redcafe I think it's called) and watch a really good meltdown.....schadenfreude is a wonderful to experience.

Actually one of my best mates is a MU fan and has been for 45+ years, and even he finds the newer fans, who have never experienced such "hard" times, amusing to watch.
  • dommyd
    dommyd Posts: 205
    johnny25 wrote:

Hmm, not sure, I reckon Olympiakos might only manage another 2-0 win at Old Trafford :lol:

more seriously, they must have good odds to score an away goal (or two) with that creaking defence...

almost makes you feel sorry for Moyes (almost... :wink: )
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Fans can only take so much of the "we will move onto the next game, take it on the chin etc etc" Ferguson will say he left the squad that just won the premiership and it's up to the new manager coming in to replace players. moyes staying on at everton till the last day gave him little time to buy new players. Moyes should have been told take the job now or forget it. Ferguson said we can still win the league...Moyes says we can fin 4th...what's next ????

As for last night, can someone please explain what Tom Cleverley does ? and how does he get a game for England which is even more bizarre.
  • Stevo_666
    johnfinch wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I have to take issue with that finchy. Surely the list can't be that short? :D

We're getting a visit from the in-laws over the weekend. One of them is a Man U fan and I'm really looking forward to it :twisted:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    One for the David Moyes Fan Club...the Moyes excuse compilation :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26361948
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I was surprised that 4 players were drinking champagne in Birmingham
    On Saturday night.
    Living MY dream.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    I love the disintegration of Moo U.

Ferguson wrung the life out of MU and he knew that. It was going to be impossible for any manager to come in and be successful. The only way any manager worth his salt would have taken the job would be under the proviso that they had a huge purse to re-vamp the squad.
    The culture and mentality of the current squad is irreconcilable, in that Fergie assembled a team of players that would only perform under the coercive hand of the old man. That coercion in modern times is becoming less and less easy to meter out because of the Ego's and Superstar status of footballers. That made Fergie a modern anachronism and his time was up. (just look what happened to Ego's in the past under his stewardship).

Ciao MU, ciao all those fair weather supporters on the glory trail (from Cornwall, Preston, Milton Keynes, Cheltenham, Newp....)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I was watching the great British sewing bee... Nuff said
  • finchy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

We're getting a visit from the in-laws over the weekend. One of them is a Man U fan and I'm really looking forward to it :twisted:

You lucky git. I've been waiting for this moment for 20 miserable years, and when it finally arrives my Manure-supporting little brother has moved to the USA. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • Stevo_666
    johnfinch wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You lucky git. I've been waiting for this moment for 20 miserable years, and when it finally arrives my Manure-supporting little brother has moved to the USA. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Did he only move this season? :lol:
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Greatest season since the premier league began. I just hope they let moyes spend their war chest.
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    I hope Sunderland win the League cup, one less place available for Man U for the Europa League.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    IMO NO PLAYER IS WORTH £300K PER WEEK

Thats a WHOLE different thread right there. IMO everything that is wrong with football and has been for the past decade.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    goonz wrote:

Thats a WHOLE different thread right there. IMO everything that is wrong with football and has been for the past decade.

The problem is, people get it completely wrong.

The fact is, Wayne Rooney is wroth every penny of his £300k/week.
    The reason for that is someone is paying it, hence he is worth it.

The question is if it is fair, I don't know the answer to that, I know however that I wouldn't say no.
    Living MY dream.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    VTech wrote:
    goonz wrote:

The question is if it is fair, I don't know the answer to that, I know however that I wouldn't say no.

Agree with sentiment that someone thinks he is worth it. Don't agree that he is at all. Fact of matter is that if Rooney hadn't been blessed with the ability to kick a ball (Even that is debatable in my opinion), he wouldn't even be able to hold down a job stacking shelves at Lidl.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Agree with sentiment that someone thinks he is worth it. Don't agree that he is at all. Fact of matter is that if Rooney hadn't been blessed with the ability to kick a ball (Even that is debatable in my opinion), he wouldn't even be able to hold down a job stacking shelves at Lidl.

Rooney wouldn't have the savvy to flip a burger in mcdonalds
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    No player is worth that amount, but the club won't hesitate paying whatever it takes because they know all they need to do is increase the ticket prices and the fans will pay whatever. I stopped going to matches in the late 80's early 90's because I didn't want to be held to ransom, but fans are still prepared to pay the extortionate ticket prices.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    johnfinch wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not a particularly loyal Man U supporter by the looks of things. Good sarcasm though.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: