Best brakes under £150

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
I am really not getting on with the feel of the elixer 1 in my reign, they give very little feedback or feel when riding,

With a budget of £150 for the pair, what would you be buying? I know it's fairly vague, but still interested in where to put my hard earned lol, it's mainly for trail centres, sherwood pines, dalby forest, Cannock and trips through the peaks of that makes any difference,

Thanks all :)
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• shimano XT's....end of thread
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    SLX and ice tech rotors will be under £150
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    shimano XT's....end of thread

This.
  • Definitely Shimano, I'm sure that I read/was told that the new Deore, SLX and XT were all essentially the same in terms of power and modulation (basically the same brake) and the only differences were features like tool-less reach adjust and weight savings. Someone more knowledgable will be able to confirm/deny this though I'm sure.

If it is the case then just pick how much of your £150 you want to spend really.

For what it's worth I have a Deore on the back of my DH bike at the moment and it does the job.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    lawman wrote:
    shimano XT's....end of thread

This.

+ another 1.
  • trigger118 wrote:
    Definitely Shimano, I'm sure that I read/was told that the new Deore, SLX and XT were all essentially the same in terms of power and modulation (basically the same brake) and the only differences were features like tool-less reach adjust and weight savings. Someone more knowledgable will be able to confirm/deny this though I'm sure.

If it is the case then just pick how much of your £150 you want to spend really.

For what it's worth I have a Deore on the back of my DH bike at the moment and it does the job.

Can anybody explain if this is true?

Also what makes the xt the brake you all choose?

Thanks
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    That is true. From Deore -> XT -> SLX you gain a few grams weight saving and some additional fine tuning regarding level adjustment.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    That is true. From Deore -> XT -> SLX you gain a few grams weight saving and some additional fine tuning regarding level adjustment.

I'd have the Deores, personally.
  • KevChallis
    Deleted - found my answer
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    post has 'posts' into which a bolt screws (threaded) IS has tabs through which a bolt passes. Brakes are all post mount as a rule, so any will fit your bike - if you needed an IS adaptor before just reuse the one you have. SLX brakes are my favourites for looks/price/usability. They offer a better hose route from the caliper than Deore + reach adjust on the fly - something I use a reasonable amount. They don't however have the 'freestroke adjustment' of XTs, which most XT owners will tell you doesn't work anyway... £100 should buy you a pair.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • KevChallis
    Whilst riding today, my elixir 1's seem to have found their squeak!!!! What a god damn awful noise, I know what you mean by sounds like a tubing fork, whoever was having that conversation!!!
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • KevChallis
    After reading many reviews I opted for the cheaper deores in the end, forgot it was car tax month :/ still have new brakes on the way anyway :)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Deores are superb brakes so you won't be sorry.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • KevChallis
    cooldad wrote:

Great, look forward to getting them fitted and tested.
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    KevChallis wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Great, look forward to getting them fitted and tested.

Yep, I went from Elixir 3s to SLX and the difference is brilliant
    Not only are they super powerful but have good modulation and are user friendly (unlike the elixir 3s)

I would've got the Deores but the SLX were only £5 more at the time so I thought it was worth it, but I agree with cooldad.. You won't be disappointed