Giro Xar or Fox Flux?

Myster101
Myster101 Posts: 856
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
After a new helmet and have got it down to either a Giro Xar or a Fox Flux. Both fit great, feel the same weight when on and can get both at a similar price, anybody got experience of yhese helmets? Good points, bad points?

Cheers.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    POAH wrote:
    giro looks less gay

Really? The Fox looks much better.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Flux is the best helmet I've had fit and feel wise, but the mechanism on the back is crap.
    Had mine less than a year and it no longer stays put, I'm constantly having to tighten it.

Previous helmet was a xen and I had no such issues.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Flux is the best helmet I've had fit and feel wise, but the mechanism on the back is crap.
    Had mine less than a year and it no longer stays put, I'm constantly having to tighten it.

Previous helmet was a xen and I had no such issues.

The adjustment mechanism is utter shite, I had a 661 Recon, basically the same helmet and it was useless, never stayed put. I also had a Xen for many years and it was great. Also try out the IXS trail RS is also meant to be very good, or if you want the ultimate open-face helmet it has to be a Troy Lee A1. Mine's so comfy I actually forgot I was wearing it last time I was on a ride :oops:
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I was looking at those but ended up getting the specialized vice, purely down to the fit.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Thanks all, I've tried the IXS Trail and it's a great fit as well but a bit more than I was wanting to spend. Leaning towards the Xar.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The xen is widely regarded as a better helmet that the xar mate
  • lawman
    Cqc wrote:
    The xen is widely regarded as a better helmet that the xar mate

Except they don't make the Xen anymore so unless you want a second hand helmet, you're out of luck.
  • Have the giro, comfortable , well vented and a perfect fit.
  • Have the Flux. Absolutely caned myself last year against a rock and it took the hit with aplomb.
  • I dont know what aplomb is (a type of fruit?), but my flux did save me when the front wheel slipped out on wet rock and I had a hot shots moment... "wendy I can flllyyyyyy".

But like I said, the mechanism is turd!
  • i tried a flux and a xar when i got a new helmet..

xar fits great.... flux didnt fit at all!

i think thats just down to head shapes to be fair.

havent had any problems with adjusters or fixings on my xar. still work great! (touch wood)
  • Angus Young
    lawman wrote:
    The adjustment mechanism is utter shite, I had a 661 Recon, basically the same helmet and it was useless, never stayed put.

I have the 661 Recon and I have no trouble getting a good fit.
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    The adjustment mechanism is utter shite, I had a 661 Recon, basically the same helmet and it was useless, never stayed put.

The fit on mine felt weird, I don't have an abnormally shaped head but it certainly didn't fit as well my old Xen, which in turn isn't as comfy as my new A1. Sure the A1 is mega bucks, but it is so worth it, the comfort is unreal!
  • I think I would go for Giro Xar :)
  • Angus Young
    lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

The fit on mine felt weird, I don't have an abnormally shaped head but it certainly didn't fit as well my old Xen, which in turn isn't as comfy as my new A1. Sure the A1 is mega bucks, but it is so worth it, the comfort is unreal!

I think the issue is that the inside of a helmet (all helmets) is so basic that you just have to find the one that suits your particular head shape.
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

I think the issue is that the inside of a helmet (all helmets) is so basic that you just have to find the one that suits your particular head shape.

Indeed it's a personal preference thing, one helmet that fits perfectly might not suit another rider. I bang on about it, but everyone I know who has tried an A1 has been blown away by it. I looked at several other helmets, Urge Enduro-matic, Mavic Notch, POC Trabec and a few others and none of them felt anything like as comfy as the Troy Lee. Definitely worth the extra!