A good bike deserves to live in the house

2»

Comments

• Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    Get the wife a bike. Preferably one a bit blingier than yours. That way both will live in the house - it worked for me. Round our way it went from...

".... you can't have a bike till you've cleared out the shed"

to... "you can store it in the dining room for now but you'd better clear out the shed soon"

to... "I think I need a bike stand so that my bike can live in the dining room too".

There was a bit of...

"Could you take the bikes upstairs, so that we can get everyone around the dining room table on Christmas Day", but that was a small price to pay :)

PS... the shed is still full of shite, 18 months later. However, it did have a bumble bee colony over the summer, which got me off the hook. Can't disturb the bumble bees, being in decline and all.

Sounds like my place! The Wife's Kuota Kharma lives in the dining room on her turbo trainer, the Colnago Master on "my" side of the bedroom, my commuter fixie in the hallway and both kids have their race bikes in their bedrooms. Both sheds full of winter bikes and parts. We're very proud that we're not a "normal" family mind :)
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • My wife is not happy with three bikes in the spare bedroom, one in each of the daughters bedroom and one in the dining room. I also have a mountain bike in the shed. Solution is we're getting an extension built. A bigger kitchen and an extra bedroom. The current spare room is to be my bike room.

I'm planning the layout of the room. Tool boards, wheels hung up, turbo permanently set up for that horrible wet day. Massive flat screen telly on the wall for cycling films or training DVDs. I can't wait.
  • The whole families bikes are in the hallway under the staircase, all six of them.

No way are mine going in a shed or a garage.
  • We bought a new house in Nov and one of the first rooms to get set up - much to the good lady's dismay - was my bike room :D

Oakrak's and a Minora wall mount for storage, Eurosport on tap, a sofa and a display cabinet for my 'stuff'. It's a man zone for sure!

IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Kitchen and spare room in my place - plenty of spare room here for lots of bikes. :):)

DSCF0835.jpg
    DSCF0836.jpg
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Bikes in the Garage cars outside.
  • My commuting/winter Felt is beside the tumble dryer in a small roofed part of my narrow back yard. Wall anchor, good lock. Dry and reasonably well secured, but if anyone ever looks over the wall and is determined to nick it .... :(

My good bike was on the turbo in the spare room. I've just redecorated that in anticpation of our new arrival in the summer, so the bike is currently under the stairs. But as our house is tiny that space will be taken up by pram etc, so the Giant will be joining the Felt out the back the the baby arrives. No way around it unfortunately. Priorities!
  • Love the turbo setup! Oh to have a house big enough to have something like that permanently installed!
  • Wirral_paul
    Love the turbo setup! Oh to have a house big enough to have something like that permanently installed!

Why thank you. I wont really pi$$ you off and let you know that if i pulled the blinds back that i could watch the Open Golf come July while sitting on the bike!! :lol::lol:
  • I have the airing cupboard .......... a big one. Tools, Bikes, golf bats, fishing kit and cricket kit. All stored neatly and safely.

Pub bike sits outside under a cover waiting to be stolen and never is. Somebody tried to force the back door the other day and still left it!
  • I am a 'wife' and really have never understood the mentality of expensive bikes having to be in an un-secure shed somewhere...just because it might make a bit of a mess in the house or be slightly in the way!
    Can you not get your wife into cycling and buy her a decent bike...things will soon change then!!! :lol:

Between me and my husband we have 6 bikes in total...one in each spare bedroom and three in the dining room...in fact we have just had a lovely meal together at the dining room table with one bike still leaning up against the end of the table!!! Maybe we are crazy or too lazy to put them somewhere else...but we are both happy with the arrangement!

I have a horse too and would no sooner expect my husband to put his bike out in the garage as I would expect to chuck my saddle and bridle out there!
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    thegreatdivide,bloody nora mate that is a good setup,Wirral_Paul very nice too i like it,Baby Trek i like your thinking with a horse to boot as well,mine live in the dining room and my wife sees that as normal but i suppose it depends on the relationship rather than the item in question that causes the problem with people.
  • I keep mine in the bike room indoors too risky to have stuff outside this day and age and when i move back to uk later this year i will do the same.
    image_zpsded3400e.jpg
    image_zpsc49b59c6.jpg
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    The bikes look great hanging on the Oakrak's, very nice..... :D
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Baby Trek wrote:
    I have a horse too and ...
    You didn't say which room the horse lives in :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Love the turbo setup! Oh to have a house big enough to have something like that permanently installed!

Why thank you. I wont really pi$$ you off and let you know that if i pulled the blinds back that i could watch the Open Golf come July while sitting on the bike!! :lol::lol:

So we all now know what bike you have, where in the house it is and where your house is. Just pop the key under the front mat :wink:
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Rokt wrote:
    The bikes look great hanging on the Oakrak's, very nice..... :D

They're really sturdy things that have saved a lot of space. I'm well chuffed with them!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Road bikes (5) indoors in my study - 4 on Oakrak, 1 on turbo. Actually 3 on Oakrak, 1 on turbo and one on workstand at the moment because I've not finished building it yet. Mountain and kids bikes in the garage and the shed. Options apart from divorce include a) buy a bigger house and b) point out the cost of insuring £15k of bikes if stored in the shed, then offer to spend the premium on something for her if she lets you keep them inside.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    photo_zpsac5c4494.jpg

What the small bedroom was invented for.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    keep mine in the bike room indoors too risky to have stuff outside this day and age and when i move back to uk later this year i will do the same.
    Moving back to the UK! Do you need to lie down for a while and think about this?
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    We bought a new house in Nov and one of the first rooms to get set up - much to the good lady's dismay - was my bike room :D

Oakrak's and a Minora wall mount for storage, Eurosport on tap, a sofa and a display cabinet for my 'stuff'. It's a man zone for sure!

IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg

Hey mate, what's your address loik?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    when i move back to uk

Why are you giving up cycling? :shock:
  • Wirral_paul
    gavbarron wrote:

So we all now know what bike you have, where in the house it is and where your house is. Just pop the key under the front mat :wink:

Haha if you dont mind burgling the 100 or so houses with views across the Royal Liverpool then you'll soon get there i'm sure. You'd be more accurate finding my house from Strava mind you - even with the privacy settings on as it will get you closer than the mile or so that the view over the course will ;);)
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    I keep mine in the bike room indoors too risky to have stuff outside this day and age and when i move back to uk later this year i will do the same.
    image_zpsded3400e.jpg
    image_zpsc49b59c6.jpg

Nice TT bike......