Help with expansion plug/carbon steerer

mrmekk
mrmekk Posts: 3
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I am looking for a bit of advice please. Whilst swapping a stem on my road bike (full carbon fork) the expansion cap had lifted slightly and was no longer flush with the top if the fork, looks like it had pulled up about 5mm. I very gently tapped it back down with a bit of wood and a hammer (very little force needed), without loosening it off first as I have read since.

I am now concerned I just done something a bit stupid? Should I be worried I may have damaged the inside of the steerer tube etc. Trip to local bike shop in order to check a good idea?

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Unlikely. The reason it lifted in the first place was probably due to a lack of tension on the expansion bolt - just nip it up again, preferably with the stem in place.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Probably be ok if you only had to tap it down lightly. But it will pull up again eventually if you don't tighten down the centre bolt properly- usually a 6mm allen key needed.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I installed the expander bung on my Scott Initially I tightened it just enough to hold it in place when I preloaded the headset, then when the stem was clamped round it I whipped the top cap off again and nipped the bung up a bit tighter.
  • Thanks for putting my mind at rest guys, much appreciated.