Best waterproof overshoes? It's not Endura.

cornerblock
cornerblock Posts: 3,228
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
That's it for me with Endura's neoprene overshoes. Two pairs and the zipper has gone both times! Really poor.
Once maybe unfortunate, but twice? It's a bad product. So can anyone recommend me some quality overshoes, I'm looking for waterproof rather than just windproof. Price I'm not too concerned about (within reason of course!) so long as they do the job. I hear BBB are very good.

Comments

• Rapha neoprene are pretty good. Water does get in eventually, but I think this is the case with every overshoe.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    DHB ones are very good
  • Shimano PRO Tarmac NPU4 I think are very good and seem tough.
  • Yes - Endura are rubbish. As above BBB or Shimano PRO
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cornerblock
    Thanks everybody, much appreciated. The disappointing thing about the Endura ones is that they actually do a fairly decent job in keeping the feet dry but if the zips on them fall apart then they are just useless.
  • Dav1d1 wrote:
    DHB ones are very good

100% - as long as we're talking the deep winter ones.

Had a lot of problems with their line of clothing though, but their accessories are bang on and a good price.
  • I was looking at some Gore Gore Tex ones today - they looked very nice and not clunky like many. £65 though so Rapha money....
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Rapha neoprene are pretty good. Water does get in eventually, but I think this is the case with every overshoe.

+1

I've been using mine recently including the Hell of the Ashdown where, depsite loads of surface water, my feet remained roasty toasty throughout. I've not had any problems with the zips which remain as good as new after considerable use.

Peter
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I had same problem with Endura overshoes. My BBB ones have lasted two winters so far and zip is doing fine. Can't remember the model, but they were cheaper than the Enduras they replaced and available in a wider range of sizes IIRC.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • I've got the endura neo covers, no zips. Just stretch. Been superb for me. Maybe try them.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Another one for BBB neoprene overshoes. Mine are completing their second winter and they are doing great. As with any neoprene boot they can suffer from surface abrasions or get chunks nipped out of them. Buy a tube of wetsuit repair glue and seal up any tears, holes or missing chunks and they are good to go again.

My feet are always warm in these, but they will get wet with heavy rain or very wet roads, but the idea of neoprene is not to waterproof as such, but to keep you warm when wet.

In my opinion trying to keep your feet completely dry using normal cycling shoes with overshoes of any description is a battle you are destined to lose. Water will get in through the holes in the soles for the cleats/ heel so it is not worth wasting money on something like Gore Tex material as water will get in behind it. Unless you buy a dedicated winter boot your feet will get wet in heavy rain and even then they may get wet through ingress around the ankle. I have come to accept that in wet weather I am just going to get wet so don't bother with Gore Tex jackets or any such 'breathable', waterproof gear. I just wear gear that remains warm when wet and blocks the windchill out. This philosophy has served me well and the BBB neoprene overshoes have been part of this.

My previous experience of Pro overshoes was lamentable with seam tapes pulling off within a couple of rides and zips failing within a few months. I got them replaced once but gave up when the second pair behaved exactly the same.

PP
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    BBB watershield.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Hmm, that's funny, I've had a pair of endura that I use quite a lot and have had them for about 3-4 years now, they do have some scuffing where my ankle rubs the crank from time to time. Perhaps the quality has reduced since then. As other posters have said neoprene lets the water through but keeps you warm. I'd go with something in neoprene rather than a goretex-type material.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    No problems with my Enduras, 3rd winter and counting………...
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've used Endura overshoes for years but I have to say that I'm lucky to get three winters out of a pair, probably more like two.
    I don't really expect a lot because they get soaked in salt a few times a week, I've had a zip go in the past, they tend to rot around the underside of the toe and heel and the newer plastic Velcro strap is shite but the zip is better.
    Sounds like a shite review to me but they're a good fit and they keep my feet warm and dry, despite their failings I'll still buy another pair for next winter.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    The only times I've ever used overshoes they seem to fall apart. As a mountain biker with spds on my road bike I use waterproof shoes (Shimano MW81s or something) and I have to say they are brilliant in cold wet conditions teamed up with some of those waterproof socks for good measure. Not sure what options there are for waterproof shoes for standard roadbike cleats but if you can afford them they are far better than any overshoe.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I`m another fan of Endura overshoes, when my zips failed I had them replaced with the zips from jeans flies. Far more durable and cheap as well
  • cornerblock
    BigLee1 wrote:
    I`m another fan of Endura overshoes, when my zips failed I had them replaced with the zips from jeans flies. Far more durable and cheap as well

That's a very positive review. :lol: Do you not find that your nuts get wet now though?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    BigLee1 wrote:

Does a seem a strange endorsement of a product - the zip fails so you carry out surgery using a replacement zip from some old jeans! I suspect most people, including me, would consider the fact that a zip fails prematurely requiring the owner to then get a sewing kit out to replace it would mean the product was not fit for purpose and probably therefore not really value for money...

PP
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Considering I'd had them 3 years before the zip went and the overshoes were still in reasonable nick I thought repairing them was much more cost effective! Checking them this morning only 1 zip had failed, 6 winters use so far! Too many people are quicknin throwing things away when a cheap repair can improve and make the items last. And no, I didn't remove the zip from an old pair of jeans! You can actually buy the zips on their own!!!
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Another Endura user.

I got almost 3 winters out a pair of pull over equipe so no zip to fail. Eventually the bit under the toes wore away and started to snag on the pedals.

I replaced them with another pair. The only downside is that, when new, they are very tight and are a pain to get over your shoes.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    On my 6th winter with my Endura's.
    Apart from a couple of pieces of Duck Tape due to abrasion (all Neoprene will be the same) I've had no issues at all.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')