The Greatest Show on Earth

LutherB
LutherB Posts: 544
edited March 2014 in Pro race
Free to watch for today only:

http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/the-greatest-show-on-earth
One of the essential road racing films, The Greatest Show on Earth documents the dramatic and captivating 1974 Tour of Italy. The 57th edition was one of the most exciting and closely fought Grand Tours of that decade, when Eddy Merckx had to first depose José Manuel Fuente to claim the pink leader’s jersey, then duel with the young Italian, Gianbattista Baronchelli, on the final, dramatic mountain stage. It remains one of the great scenes in cycling cinema, the backdrop to the stage provided by the towering spires of Tre Cime di Lavaredo, with the tifosi screaming at the roadside as Merckx, Gimondi, Fuente and Baronchelli battle to the summit.
Capturing the chaos and fanaticism of cycle racing in Italy, The Greatest Show on Earth will be showing on rapha.cc today only. It is also available to buy on DVD from worldcycling.com.

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Thank for the heads up thats tonights turbo viewing sorted
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Nice one, thanks LutherB. I'm up to the 12th stage (ITT) so far.
  • LutherB
    I enjoyed it once past the 'Pearl & Dean' credits. Fuente is overdubbed by Marvin the Paranoid Android, and Patrick MacNee is the race director :)

Some great shots on the descents, crowds mental on the ascents - a few punches thrown and Polizia motorbike knock-downs.

Some of the kits look great, like the Bianchi crew-neck that makes an appearance at dinner. Merckx climbing is not a pretty sight tho' :)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Thank for the heads up thats tonights turbo viewing sorted

Pay attention to the store scene. It's brilliant.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Thanks LutherB.

Most I've watched of that era, really enjoyed it. Fantastic kit. Not really known about Gimondi before - looks great in the stipes. Wikid him - very impressive palmares.
    Bit about waterboys was tremendous - jerseys stuffed full of glass bottles, and didn't realise that the crown race got its name from the corks.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joy, shall watch that in a bit
  • LutherB
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Thanks LutherB.

Most I've watched of that era, really enjoyed it. Fantastic kit. Not really known about Gimondi before - looks great in the stipes. Wikid him - very impressive palmares.
    Bit about waterboys was tremendous - jerseys stuffed full of glass bottles, and didn't realise that the crown race got its name from the corks.

The waterboys bit was great, love seeing bar/shop raids! Love the celeste Bianchi too.
  • Did they steal the sound effects for that first mountain stage straight from a 70's cop show? Thanks for the heads up, a great watch.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Splendid viewing.
  • LutherB
    Did they steal the sound effects for that first mountain stage straight from a 70's cop show? Thanks for the heads up, a great watch.

Yes that was funny - all those screeching car brakes! :D I'm guessing the crowd was overdubbed too!
  • LutherB
    It's still working anyone wants to do a Saturday morning viewing :)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Just shows the unbelievable nature of climbing mountains on a bike. Ouch.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Not seen it for a couple of years or so. Did I remember right tha they dubbed squealing tyres on the team cars?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Dammit, missed this! Will have to buy it. Also trying to find "A Sunday in Hell" at a reasonable price.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Dammit, missed this! Will have to buy it. Also trying to find "A Sunday in Hell" at a reasonable price.
    It's on YouTube (Greatest Show, not Sunday - you can find that one on Veoh)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    According to recent Rapha tweet, this is still available.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Can download with Firefox on Vimeo too! Terrific film
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    ah ^
  • MaxCap
    MaxCap Posts: 13
    Make sure to watch the foggy descent at 35mins 10secs. It's the best couple of minutes of bike footage I've ever seen.