Better Upgrade wheels or groupset

pipekno1
pipekno1 Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello, i was wondering if you guys can help me, i live in Medellin colombia an as we know we have a lot of climbs here, i ride a giant tcr composite with a shimano 105 group set (fsa omega crankset) and the wheels are the ones that came with the bike, i want an upgrade but I'm a little bit confuse of which one will be the better option to buy first, maybe a wheel set like the campy shamals or the mavic´s rsys slr, or a ultegra 6800 group set, maybe you can help me with my question.

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I doubt that your current wheels are 11 speed compatible: so if you buy a 6800 groupset, you'll need new wheels anyway.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    If the gearing on your current bike isn't adequate, then different wheels or group probably won't make much difference.

Perhaps a new cassette with a larger low gear, and maybe new rear deraileur (if needed).

Having less weight for mountains and hills is fine, but I think that should be considered after you have the gearing.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • mjbennett
    mjbennett Posts: 532
    Start with wheels, and maybe get a cassette with more teeth, such as a 28
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    You will get far more benefit from a really good set of wheels such as the shamals. Here's the thing though - if you eventually want to upgrade to Ultegra or Dura Ace 11sp, you will need a different freewheel body from the one you will need to use the wheel with 105 10 sp. But you could get the 10 speed shimano version of the wheels and then buy an 11 speed freewheel body if/when you eventually move to 11 speed. You could either get a Shimano 11sp freewheel body (and use Shimano or SRAM 11 speed cassettes) or a standard Campagnolo freewheel body (and use Campagnolo 11sp cassettes, which will work with Shimano 11sp).

P.S. Don't think the OP said that he currently had any problems with gearing?