Novatec F172 Problem

hypster
hypster Posts: 1,229
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I recently built up a set of wheels with a new pair of Novatec A171/F172 hubs to be used as a spare set of wheels. I used them once (admittedly on quite wet roads) after building them to make sure they were okay and them put them to one side. I just picked up the back wheel and was dismayed to find the axle was locked solid!

I have removed the end caps and the freehub and am now left with just the axle sticking out and am looking at a bearing on each side - DS - NBK 6001- 2RS , NDS - NBK 6901 - 2RS. One (or both of these bearings is very notchy but I can't work out how to get the axle and/or the bearings out.

I tried doing a search on the web but can't find any information. Can anyone help?

The front A171 is fine by the way.

Comments

• You left them wet in the shed innit?

Left side is 12 x 24 x 7 and right is 12 x 28 x 8... both available at simply bearings as rubber sealed in various quality and prices
    left the forum March 2023
  • hypster
    You left them wet in the shed innit?

Left side is 12 x 24 x 7 and right is 12 x 28 x 8... both available at simply bearings as rubber sealed in various quality and prices

I have had quite a few wheels over the years and left them "in the shed wet" as you say but have never had one set set seize up after one wet ride FFS!!

Thanks for the bearing size info but my biggest problem is how do I get the old ones out? Do I need to use some sort of extractor on the axle? I have a workshop with various equipment but don't want to start on the hub without knowing which side should come out first for instance.
  • hypster
    I found some instructions on the web for the equivalent Ambrosio Zenith hubs so knocked out the NDS bearing first with a rubber hammer and then the DS. Turns out it's the DS bearing which is rough, the smaller NDS bearing feels fine. Truth be told I'm not even sure if it was like this from new, I can't believe one wet ride would have this effect on a sealed bearing. I'll order some better quality bearings from Simply Bearings.

Any recommendations of which ones to go for - SKF?
  • hypster
    FYI Ugo the NDS 6901-2RS bearing is 12 x 24 x 6.