Different make groupsets on your different bikes?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited March 2014 in Road general
I seem to recall seeing this mentioned as not a problem before, but I just wanted to pick the brains of those who run groupsets from different companies on different bikes. Does shifting become intuitive depending on what you're riding?

I have a Campag equipped bike right now, but will be building something else up soon and there seem to be some good deals on Ultegra out there these days.

I suppose it does mean you can't swap wheels over.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    11 speed spacing is the same
  • keef66 wrote:

You can mix Campag and Shimano cassettes?
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    keef66 wrote:

For 11 speed yes. (SRAM too, obviously)

As for shifting being intuitive, I'm sure you'll get used to it.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Yes, I don't find it an issue switching back and forth between Campag and Shimano. Also between fixed and free, FWIW.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    keef66 wrote:

Now the spacing is the same you can use a Shimano wheel / cassette in a bike running an 11 speed Campag groupset, or a Campag wheel / cassette in a bike running an 11 speed Shimano groupset.

You can't stick Campag cassette on a Shimano freehub or vice versa
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd always been Shimano - but now some SRAM has snuck in. Bargains to good to miss. I don't think its a big issue to have different things really. Apart from fluffing the odd gear change.
  • Useful info, all! Thanks!
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Shimano on winter bike, SRAM on race bike, campag (downtube shifters!) on vintage steed.

I do find it takes me a couple of minutes to get used to shimano after SRAM, but not the other way round. At the first junction yesterday I thought my front mech was broken :D
    Insert bike here:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've gone from Shimano 2300 to 105 and Tiagra and now re-introduced my 2300 bike again ... easily swap between the two - but in braindead moments I do occasionally fluff the gear change ...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I use the old Ultegra on the winter bike and the Di2 that replaced it is on the good bike. They're chalk & cheese in terms of shifting, but both are intuitive. Not an issue I'd say.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    No problem going between veloce and sora for me. It helps that the hoods feel completely different i think.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    keef66 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Now the spacing is the same you can use a Shimano wheel / cassette in a bike running an 11 speed Campag groupset, or a Campag wheel / cassette in a bike running an 11 speed Shimano groupset.

You can't stick Campag cassette on a Shimano freehub or vice versa

Thanks didn't know this.
  • RobinB2
    RobinB2 Posts: 111
    Campag on commuting bike, Shimano on road bike - no problem switching between the two
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Campag Record on race bike, Ultegra on training bike. Don't notice really.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    No problem on road bikes (campagnolo & shimano)

Problem on my two MTB's, both are Shimano, but one has XTR with the RH shifter the "wrong" way round, I.e. The same as the front shifter. Confusing when under pressure!
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    My main bike is Tiagra however i have brief experience riding 2300 with the thumb shift like campag.

No issues with the different shifting.

I think out of the three SRAM would maybe be the most different with the doubletap but thats purely a guess
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I've got three bikes, one on Shimano 10 speed, one on shimano 11 speed with bar end shifters, and one on 11 speed campag. I don't have a problem moving from one to another but I do some times catch the left hand thumb shifter while climbing out of the saddle on the hoods with the Campag.