Feeling 'ill' after a crash

LegendLust
LegendLust Posts: 1,022
edited March 2014 in Road general
Cutting a long story short I came off this morning (no other motorist involved) - landed heavily on my left side. Usual suspects cut and bruised, knee, hip, elbow and shoulder. Quite a bit of blood.

Thing is, I've felt 'rough' the rest of the day. Slightly nauseous and weak.

As I haven't crashed for a long time I'm just wondering if this is normal?

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I wouldn't be asking a random bunch of people on a cycling forum for medical advice, I head over to your GP or nearest drop in centre.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Indeed, for all we know you could be bleeding internally.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    LegendLust wrote:
    As I haven't crashed for a long time I'm just wondering if this is normal?

Quite common actually. Had this happen a number of times. Other than the initial pain of the accident you feel fine for a while and then suddenly come over all woozy and nauseous. It's usually the adrenaline and endorphins that your body gets flooded with after a sudden shock getting flushed out of your system (just like the nausea caused by the come down from any other type of chemical rush .... ahem). If it persists, see a doctor.
  • It's not unknown for people to feel like that after accidents, it's when the adrenalin spike wears off. Go get a check up however.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    edited February 2014
    I remember after coming off my motorbike feeling really sick.

No apparent injuries to speak of just the sick feeling. Turned out to be a couple of cracked ribs.

If you've landed heavily on your side, that could be a possibility.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Thanks for the advice.

I've busted ribs before and know how painful that is - haven't done busted them this time, thank goodness!

I'll see how I feel later before deciding to waste some NHS time!
  • arran77
    Mikey will be along soon, I believe he has experience of this type of thing although he's not keen on talking about it :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    If you banged your head, I wouldn't mess about.

Otherwise it may be shock.

If it were me, I'd be down A&E for a check up. That's what we pay taxes for.
  • Go to A&E if you have no GP ( not sure this is the case ), Seriously! If you have lost a lot of blood get yourself checked out. Bare minimum call 101, I did that when I had a bad crash last summer, they are helpful and put me in touch with a hospital - I left it a week which made things worse. So do it now, please!!!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @arran... Shut up!
  • Probably shock as others have said but get checked - by the way I'm a Physio and worked in the NHS and the idea that you would be wasting anyone's NHS time getting a check is bonkers (indeed it's so bonkers it makes me wonder if you have perhaps suffered a head injury that's making you daft as your posts are usually very high quality!).
  • arran77
    Mikey23 wrote:
    @arran... Shut up!

That's not very helpful!

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    Mikey will be along soon, I believe he has experience of this type of thing although he's not keen on talking about it :wink:

Has he had another crash!?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    '''Go to A&E if you have no GP'''

by all means get medical attention , but going to cas. in most places at the moment is likely to take all day before they send you out 'to see gp' .
    waits yesterday afternoon and evening in Leicester were well over 6 hrs, with 80plus people waiting at times. Most did not need hospital attention.
    You should contact a gp surgery (as a temp resident perhaps) and explain that you need to be seen that day, or the out of hours gp service .Lay your complaints on thick rather than say you're not too bad really, and mention of the possibility of a ruptured spleen would strengthen your case . sometimes a ruptured organ can trickle before stopping or popping.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    priory wrote:
    '''Go to A&E if you have no GP'''

by all means get medical attention , but going to cas. in most places at the moment is likely to take all day before they send you out 'to see gp' .
    waits yesterday afternoon and evening in Leicester were well over 6 hrs, with 80plus people waiting at times. Most did not need hospital attention.
    You should contact a gp surgery (as a temp resident perhaps) and explain that you need to be seen that day, or the out of hours gp service .Lay your complaints on thick rather than say you're not too bad really, and mention of the possibility of a ruptured spleen would strengthen your case . sometimes a ruptured organ can trickle before stopping or popping.

True enough. Personally I would not exaggerate symptoms, thinking about it perhaps an NHS drop in center before A&E , it all depends on the nature of the crash and damage to the body.