Re-Hub old Mavic wheel

oldbazza
oldbazza Posts: 646
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I have a pair of 80's tastic Mavic ma-2/Miche wheels in a shed and was wondering if it's feasable (or even if it's worth it cost wise)to get a new freehub fitted to the rear so it could be used as a turbo wheel?
Or should I just flog them as is and use the cash for a compatible rear wheel?
Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    You don't specify which hub the rear has, but it's highly unlikely that they will take a modern freehub. Do they not have a screw-on freewheel?
  • No, use a freewheel, they're just as good
    left the forum March 2023
  • oldbazza
    It's an old Miche hub with Miche cassette for Campy.

So are you saying it's best to get a new wheel rather than mess about with these?

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • oldbazza wrote:

So are you saying it's best to get a new wheel rather than mess about with these?

If it's 1980s, then it's not a cassette but a freewheel, most likely... how many speeds?
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza wrote:

If it's 1980s, then it's not a cassette but a freewheel, most likely... how many speeds?

Oops of course it is :roll: :oops: ,think it's six;they used to live on my old Dawes which had non-index Campy xenon on.I'll double check when I get a chance.

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • oldbazza wrote:
    oldbazza wrote:

Oops of course it is :roll: :oops: ,think it's six;they used to live on my old Dawes which had non-index Campy xenon on.I'll double check when I get a chance.

6 is freewheel and not freehub
    Xenon is not a 1980 product... maybe someone fitted a Xenon derailleur on an older groupset?
    You can't get a cassette, you need a freewheel and if the one you have on works, leave it where it is.
  • oldbazza
    Ok cheers for that.

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Also Miche did english, Italian and French threading on there hub back then. Who knows what you have which may make changing the freewheel expensive. Also The hub will be 126mm OLD so a 130mm hub will require some frame spreading.

I would leave alone if the hub is good.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Also Miche did english, Italian and French threading on there hub back then. Who knows what you have which may make changing the freewheel expensive. Also The hub will be 126mm OLD so a 130mm hub will require some frame spreading.

I would leave alone if the hub is good.

Italian and English are essentially the same thing there... I use them indifferently with no damage to the hub threads... French are very rare... I have never seen any