Best budget brakes - easiest to maintain

rubez
rubez Posts: 323
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I need the best budget hydraulic brakes that are easiest to maintain.

I'm reading that Shimano are the easiest?

I think maybe only higher models are easy to maintain, I'm sure the higher models (of my entry level brakes) had an extra feature that made them easier to bleed/refill? Something like an extra shut off valve :?:

I gather that all brakes come prefilled with oil when bought new, is this correct? Is cable length a standard size? (so no cutting)

Do all brakes come with lever, cable and caliper/pads ready to go?

The ones I had were Ryder Stroker, which were horrible.

Thanks.

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod114936

Very good entry level brakes, easy to bleed and top up, plus they use mineral oil rather than dot brake fluid. Cheaper suppliers may be available, you can do the googling yourself.

Whatever you get should come pre bled, fully connected and with pads etc. There is no guarantee that the hose lengths will be right whatever you get.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rubez
    I think I'd rather have some extra cable than go through trying to pressurise them again!

So these come with rotors, and two brakes for that price? Nice I am needing rotors too. Thought the price would be well into the £100 mark for everything.
  • 97th choice
    Note they are centre lock rotors, you will need to see how your current ones connect to the hub

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rubez
    Hmm... that is way above my head. How do I check?

I am getting new wheels, Superstar Tech2's.
  • 97th choice
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... stallation

park tools is always useful. Read that and work out what you have bought.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They won't fit without adapters.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubez
    Well, I don't have my wheels yet.

cooldad, how so?

What type do I need?
  • cooldad
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rotor-disc-service-and-installation

park tools is always useful. Read that and work out what you have bought.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    The SS wheels are 6 bolt fitting (most common), centrelock rotors won't fit without an adapter. SS sell adapters.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    Ok, thanks. So can you get brakes with the 6-bolt setup? Or, rather it's just the rotor, isn't it?

Could I buy this brake set, frisbee the rotors away, and buy some 6-bolt type rotors?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You might need to cut down hoses. The difference in hose length needed for different frames can be a lot and most new brakes have hoses long enough to fit anything.
    I did get away with carefully cutting mine and ne bleeding when I fitted them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or just use the 6 bolt discs that are on your cube now and sell the CL discs as new.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubez
    Not sure if they are bent. With new wheels and new brakes, I'd rather go with new rotors too.

Really not wanting to cut the hoses... anyway of finding out their length beforehand?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Contact the seller to check what length the hose is. They can be sold in many different sizes, but unless you have a large frame you usually need to shorten them a little.

It's really not that hard to shorten brake hose. If you are careful you can get away with just cutting the cable, use a new barb and olive and reconnect, no need to bleed. My new Shimano XT brakes took about 10mins to change both front and back.
  • 97th choice
    With no disrespect to the OP, it sounds like he might be better off leaving it to a LBS

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    Or get a rigid with cantis, as he originally wanted.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shimano hoses are usually 1 metre front, 1.7 metre rear. Even on a large frame downhill bike with 200mm forks they are way too long.
  • Video on shortening the hose for Shimano saint brakes. I presume will be similar for the ones being discussed?

http://vimeo.com/18483045
  • See whilst I'm generally in favour of reliable vs weight, I can't recall having any reliability issues as such with any of the disk brake sets I've had in the past short of Avid's being a pain to bleed, even old Juicy 3's ! I'd look at performance vs £££ vs spares availability and current deore sounds just the ticket
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Yep still exactly the same process on all Shimano brakes older versions and newer versions. Also identical to some other manufacturers too.

Also agree on spending slightly more on the current Deore rather than the older style Shimano brakes, the new ones work better. Shimano don't really do spares if a calliper piston seal breaks you just have to get a new calliper and all their stuff is cross compatible so I don't think spares is an issue.
  • rubez
    So, I watched that video, and when he unplugs the hose, no oil comes spurting out... what kind of voodoo is that? I thought it is pressurised?!

Looks like I could shorten the hose, the video makes it look fairly straight forward :|

He mentions that it is a closed or sealed system - what is it?

I will get the Deore brake set, but since I need 6-bolt rotors, I may as well buy them instead of the adapter, since the adapters are £13 each!

How do I know what diameter I need? There are lots of different sizes, but 160mm,180mm and 203mm are the most common.

Thanks.
  • cooldad
    It is only pressurised when you squeeze the brakes, so don't after you have cut the hose.

Closed and sealed is the same - cars have open systems.

Rotors - whatever you have now will save you buying new adaptors.

Read Parktools - don't just rely on random videos.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    I will study the Parktools thing before I attempt anything, seems to be the bible round here.

Though I want new rotors since everything else is brand new, and they'll only cost £20 - £30 for a set. Is the diameter important?
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    ...Rotors - whatever you have now will save you buying new adaptors...

I was referring to the size.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    So, I need to get my ruler out?

They look like 160mm according to another thread on here. Will check, should be it.
  • rubez
    Just gonna stick this here so I can easily find them again. Chainreaction is dead slow on a crappy computer :x

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-zee-rt66-6-bolt-disc-rotor/rp-prod82436
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Err... bookmark?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rubez
    No, this is not my computer you see.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Bear in mind that some brakes come the wrong way round for the UK - we have right hand front/left hand rear. I think the ones linked are the other way around, so would need swapping. Some brakes (Elixir for example) can be mounted either way up, so it may be less of an issue.

If you dont want to shorten hoses then you wont want to swap levers round either - so make sure you buy the right ones.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    rubez wrote:
    No, this is not my computer you see.

Ah, I see.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607