New shifters?

lawman76
lawman76 Posts: 13
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey folks looking for a bit of advice,
I'm currently upgrading my front and rear mechs to shimano xt m771 but I have shimano acera shifters and was wondering if these would still work ok?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What speed acera shifters do you have? What mechs did you have before?
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Afaik, Acera is 8 spd & the XT mechs you mention are 9 spd.

So they're not an ideal match. Not sure if it'll work or not (somebody else will be along and let you know)

Forgive me, but on a bike equipped with Acera gears - there's going to be better ways of upgrading it. Why do you want to change the mechs?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Newest Acera are 9 speed ;-).
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    supersonic wrote:
    Newest Acera are 9 speed ;-).

I stand corrected :wink:

But my other comments still stand.

On a bike equipped with Acera, XT mechs are overkill as a first upgrade. XT front and rear would cost, say, £80? Which could buy a 2nd hand Recon fork? Likely to be better than the stock fork.

If mech needs replacing because it's broken, Deore would be a better vfm upgrade?

Performance gains of mechs moving up the Shimano range are quite marginal, particularly for the front.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    ^ This. Infact keep the front mech (maybe even the rear) and change the shifters is a better value option. Acera shifters suck badly (they are functionally fine but feel awful) - try Deore or above to get Dual release and nicer shifting.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BigAl wrote:
    Afaik, Acera is 8 spd & the XT mechs you mention are 9 spd.

So they're not an ideal match. Not sure if it'll work or not (somebody else will be along and let you know)
    'match' and work perfectly.......but as mentioned, the shifter upgrade should come first, then rear mech and only then the front (but lots of other parts of the bike to do first), also the Fork is usually the single best upgrade.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    Merlin cycles have some good deals on drive train stuff,might get a bargain.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie