Moving abroad. Do I sell?

ianhkg
ianhkg Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Road general
Hi everyone,

Wanted to know your thoughts/opinions about relocating abroad with bikes. I have at home a pivot MTB and a trek rb. My pivot is defo coming with me coz I've only had it for just under a year and cost me a lot of hard earned cash. It's the rb which I'm not sure about. I have had it for over 3yrs now, It's a great piece of kit and still is and I'm sure for many years to come.
My question is how do you determine if it's worth the hassle to ship it over to uk or just sell it and get new rb instead?

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    The correct answer of course is to ship the bike over AND get a new one
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Bit difficult to answer the q as it depends ...

Largely it depends on how much other stuff you're shipping over and if the bike can form part of that shipment for little or no additional outlay.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Also depends where you're moving too? If it's central Tokoyo then maybe not, if it's the Dolomites then yes :)
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    What is the cost of a new bike in the new location? If it is Australia or another expensive country, I would suggest ship it.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I would argue the question is are you going to continue to use it. Don't forget that you can ship it or take it as sports luggage on the plane, so getting it there isn't the end of the world. But if its just going to sit collecting dust for the next few years you might as well sell it.

Where are you going?
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Sounds to me as though he's coming to the UK.
  • Thanks guys,
    Yeah, I'm heading to uk from Hong Kong. I'll ride my rb in uk definitely. As a matter a fact I spend more time on my rb than my MTB. Shipping company will be coming over to give me a quote in a couple of days. I'll need to make a decision beforehand.
  • Usually you'll get much less for a bike second hand than you would buying new so chances are the shipping will be worthwhile. If you're flying you can most likely have it as luggage?
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I'd just take it as luggage when you fly - most airlines will charge 40 quid or something, but then it is counted as an extra bag and doesn't affect the rest of your luggage allowance.
  • I have been in the same situation - UK to Chile and then return three years later. Both times took road bike as luggage on the plane and mtb in shipping. Employer paid shipping costs (to a point). You'll wait up to three months for the shipping, which was my main concern.

My next move was Scotland to Switzerland which was much easier (and great for cycling!)

Good luck
  • ianhkg
    ianhkg Posts: 7
    luggage by plane. Never really looked into that. Always considered taking the shipping route when it comes to my bikes.
    Maybe it's because i work in the aviation industry and see how luggage is handled!!
    I know this is a dumb question but, Do I HAVE to get a hardcase for the bikes or can I get away with bike cardboard boxes?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    If you work in the aviation industry and have seen how luggage is handled, then you are in the best position to answer that question.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Before I emigrated, I gave two of my bikes away and only brought one with me. Always regretted getting rid of Nigel (the bike). The pain has been eased over the years by buying several other ones, but they're not the same. If you are unsure about bringing one, I'd send it on the slow boat and you'll have three months to decide whether you really need/want it or not, you will either be pleased to see it in the summer, or can sell it at the other end.