The right hubs....

housemunkey
housemunkey Posts: 237
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Okay some of you may have been involved in persuading me towards some Dura-ace 9000 on my best bike in the near future. Rightly pointed out was the need for some new wheels and this is where my question comes in.

I want a light set of wheels but I'm not too up for carbon; this leads me to choose the Stans Alpha 340 rim as it's about as light as they come. I'm now less than 70kg and am more of a whippet than a chain snapper. However I am still aware that these rims aren't the stiffest; the spoke count decision is 24/28 but I'm worried about bracing angles as I know these seriously affect lateral stiffness. Would this mean 9000 series hubs are not going to build a very stiff rim? I have heard they have fairly narrow flanges? Any advice on making wheels with these rims stiff enough would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Nope, DA 9000 have 55 or 56 mm flange width to memory, so it's pretty good.
    Hubs with narrow flange are DT 240, Hope Mono RS (but they are higher to compensate) and the Powertap (again, bigger flanges).
    I have the Alpha 340 as 32 on disc hubs and they are fine... although I would only recommend them for tubeless

fugio_zpsad4b8194.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    DA9000 rear hub dimensions are:

Left PCD 44mm, left flange to centre = 36.7mm
    Right PCD 45mm, right flange to centre = 16mm
  • Thanks Ugo. Nice to know they'll be okay if I go that route on hubs. There are still lots of options open atm.

I have the 400 on a standard set of hope hoops, been running tubed without issue. Why would you only recommend for tubeless?

SRC1, thanks for the info but to me that may as well be mandarin.
  • Not sure they deal OK with 100 + PSI ... I only use 60
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ryde Pulse Sprint is 400g ad 18mm internal width. So there is another rim that will take a tubed clincher at 110 psi. It does not come in 24H drilling. 28 and 32H. There is a rear off centre drilling as well.

DA hubs build good wheels I use them alot. The reports on weight weenies about tyre blow of stan's rims when tubes are used has me worried as well. 110-120psi seems to be the common theme. It is also noted that some clincher fit a bit loose to the stan's rims.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • At the moment I'm only running 100/95 psi rear/front, but I have used more in the past. I think in future I'm going to stick with 25mm tyres anyway whether they be summer or winter flavor and so I shouldn't need to increase my pressures.

So far I haven't noticed any difference running lower pressures in larger tyres, except it's more comfy; so I see no reason to change back.

Thanks for the info on the Ryde rim cycleclinic, I will definitely look into that as an option.

Good to know the DA hubs will work well. I was never worried about their quality, just that the flange spacing might not have made for the stiffest wheel with the kind of rims I want to use.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Flange PCD does not make alot of difference to bracing angle unless they are huge. The new power tap hubs do not have narrow flange seperation it is 55mm on the new G3 hubs. It is the 70mm PCD flanged hubs that have the really poor dimensions.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Nope, DA 9000 have 55 or 56 mm flange width to memory, so it's pretty good.
    Hubs with narrow flange are DT 240, Hope Mono RS (but they are higher to compensate) and the Powertap (again, bigger flanges).
    I have the Alpha 340 as 32 on disc hubs and they are fine... although I would only recommend them for tubeless

fugio_zpsad4b8194.jpg

What is this frame?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Genesis Fugio.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}