Stop naming August Bank Holiday as Margaret Thatcher Day

Comments

• Presumably some MP trying to get publicity or a name for themselves. Zero chance of this becoming law.
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    Presumably some MP trying to get publicity or a name for themselves. Zero chance of this becoming law.
    That maybe true but you never know with david scameron as prime minister, thatchers love child.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    I guess they must have sorted out all the other pressing issues of the day then?
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    I had no idea they were touting this.. What a great idea and what a good way to honour what was one of the best Prime Ministers this country has had. She was second only to Winston Churchill (and Clement Atlee was a close third) in the 20th century. And she was also a wonderful example of 'girl power' being the first ever female premier.
    Point me in the right direction if there is a petition somewhere to support this as I'd like to add my name to it :)
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • ^^ are you on crack?
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Setting aside a holiday when we can publicly express our feelings about Margaret Thatcher's legacy, perhaps with the aid of large, appropriately worded banners carried by large groups of people in central London, seems like a great idea! Full marks to (alleged benefits cheat and sponsor of the bill) Peter Bone MP for attempting to give us this excellent opportunity!
  • I'm all for a new bank holiday though. An excuse for another day off to go play on bikes :-)

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    mudsucker wrote:
    I'm all for a new bank holiday though. An excuse for another day off to go play on bikes :-)

Think of the miners :(:(:(:(
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    mudsucker wrote:
    I'm all for a new bank holiday though. An excuse for another day off to go play on bikes :-)

Sadly not a new one though is it, just renaming the one we already have in August :(
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77
    RideOnTime wrote:
    mudsucker wrote:

Think of the miners :(:(:(:(

They're all on school holiday in August already :?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Maybe we could also change our National Anthem - I suggest 'Tramp the Dirt Down' by Elvis Costello as a substitute.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    Or perhaps Oliver's Army. That's a good one :D
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @ukiboy... Plus one for this, ironic or not...

I think spleens were vented a while back over the thatcher legacy so will keep my trap firmly shut on this one
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    I'm all for this because based on this thread it will wind up so many lefties :D

Even from beyond the grave Mrs. T still torments them.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'm all for this because based on this thread it will wind up so many lefties :D

Even from beyond the grave Mrs. T still torments them.

Just the thought of having a day off work, courtesy of The Great Lady, will drive them mad. :lol::lol:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo, if you really want to get under people's skin, try The Scotsman's forum. Those Sweaty Nats tie themselves in knots, defending their Great Leader. Oh, and they have a special place in their hearts for dear Margaret.:lol:
  • RIP
    0005-thatcherzombie.jpg?w=500&h=245
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo, if you really want to get under people's skin, try The Scotsman's forum. Those Sweaty Nats tie themselves in knots, defending their Great Leader. Oh, and they have a special place in their hearts for dear Margaret.:lol:
    Good tip Bally, it will make change from tormenting Pinno :mrgreen:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I hear they are also going to make a giant statue of a middle finger made out of coal :-)

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    A day to celebrate the death of "that foo*in" Thatcher? What's not to like?
  • arran77
    Garry H wrote:
    A day to celebrate the death of "that foo*in" Thatcher? What's not to like?

It'll be a day to celebrate her life :)

seanoconn
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    ukiboy wrote:
    I had no idea they were touting this.. What a great idea and what a good way to honour what was one of the best Prime Ministers this country has had. She was second only to Winston Churchill (and Clement Atlee was a close third) in the 20th century. And she was also a wonderful example of 'girl power' being the first ever female premier.
    Point me in the right direction if there is a petition somewhere to support this as I'd like to add my name to it :)

You have had unfair responses to what is in fact a wonderfully worded and correct statement.
    Mrs Thatcher ruled the country, what followed ? Blair who led us to war on a lie and amassed such a fortune that would be questioned if we had anyone with a backbone in power and then the sale of our gold to france at less than market value right at the moment when gold was on the increase and afforded france a multi billion euro gain off our wealth.
    I would raise a glass on Thatcher day.
    Living MY dream.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    OK, if there is going to be a serious discussion about this, it is very hard to see how this is a good idea - the women is too divisive to be celebrated in this way. Let's note that we dont have a Winston Churchill Day! If we're going to name days after 'great' PMs let's start with him.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Apparently* the French and Germans have a Tories Day when they all get together and thank the Tory party for letting them get their snouts into the British taxpayer-funded trough.

Vive les Tories!

*In this context, apparently means that I made the whole thing up.
  • VTech
    Paulie W wrote:
    OK, if there is going to be a serious discussion about this, it is very hard to see how this is a good idea - the women is too divisive to be celebrated in this way. Let's note that we dont have a Winston Churchill Day! If we're going to name days after 'great' PMs let's start with him.

Amen !

I liked the fact Thatcher stood her ground, she did the right things when others nowadays wouldn't have the backbone.
    Having said that, she doesn't really deserve a bank holiday.
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    Paulie W wrote:

Now you're talking 8)

seanoconn
  • I can't think of anything less appropriate than naming a holiday after her, after all she'd have had us working seven days a week if she could. That is those that still had jobs under her premiership.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    VTech wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Amen !

I liked the fact Thatcher stood her ground, she did the right things when others nowadays wouldn't have the backbone.
    Having said that, she doesn't really deserve a bank holiday.

I agree with that.
    Could be a rotten tory plan tho' name it Thatchers holiday and none of the trade unions would go on holiday as a protest so lots more man hours worked for the country :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • VTech
    I can't think of anything less appropriate than naming a holiday after her, after all she'd have had us working seven days a week if she could. That is those that still had jobs under her premiership.

What did she do that was so wrong ?
    The coal mining industry was a thing of the past, electricity was being plumbed into homes the length of the country and she wasn't going to be blackmailed.
    Why is it that so many of you don't look at the true criminal in all of this.
    Arthur Skargill who made countless millions of which many have failed to understand how !!!
    Whilst one group were picketing, another were digging roads and laying cables.

Think about it !
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    VTech wrote:
    I can't think of anything less appropriate than naming a holiday after her, after all she'd have had us working seven days a week if she could. That is those that still had jobs under her premiership.

What did she do that was so wrong ?
    The coal mining industry was a thing of the past, electricity was being plumbed into homes the length of the country and she wasn't going to be blackmailed.
    Why is it that so many of you don't look at the true criminal in all of this.
    Arthur Skargill who made countless millions of which many have failed to understand how !!!
    Whilst one group were picketing, another were digging roads and laying cables.

Think about it !

This is going to get interesting, who's backing which horse :lol:

seanoconn