Horizontal crack line above rear drop out drive side

bus_ter
bus_ter Posts: 337
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Ribble New Sportive, almost exactly 2 years old. Just noticed this when giving the bike a careful clean. I don't know how long it has been there.

Paint flex or filler crack? Or something more sinister?

NewSportive_crack1_zpscef8653f.jpg[/URL]

NewSportive_crack2_zpsfeeb8219.jpg[/URL]

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The dropout is probably aluminium and this will be around the point where the metal is joined to the carbon frame. My guess is that there is a little flex there and this has cracked the paint but everything is still in order. That is just a guess though, so would see what others say in case they think I am wrong. If you are really worried, you could take to LBS and ask their opinion.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    I 've seen a few like this. I would say it's just the paint and nothing to worry about.
  • bus_ter
    I'm hoping so. I actually have a similar paint crack line on the seat tube. That's been there over a year and hasn't caused an issue. I sent the photos off to Ribble and I'll update with their response.
  • I had my orbea sent back to the importers to be checked, it turned out to be where the aluminum and carbon joined.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Happened to my Ribble Gran Fondo. Ribble were happy to replace the frame and rebuild the bike but in some respects I regret getting the frame swapped. The replacement frame was from the same batch just with the rear dropout area painted black and some of the excess filler removed over the join area (which I think is what the problem is). It looks fine though there is a new crack visible in the same place - just not very visible as it's all black! That frame is now on about 14,000 miles.

One thing you can do is try to get a really good close up image. I did that and it did show that the crack was flat bottomed - ie it was a crack in the paint rather than one going all the way in. It's not necessarily bad if it isn't flat bottomed but it is certainly very good if it is!

I'd be more bothered about the seat tube crack.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bus_ter
    Reply from Ribble:

"These cracks tend to be superficial/cosmetic cracks, which are caused by the paint failing to flex as much as the carbon resin in the area where the seatstay meets the dropout. These two elements are bonded together during the manufacture of the frame, and the amount of resin in the area around the join can flex over time, and cause the paint to crack. This should be nothing to worry about."

I'm going to keep riding as normal and I'll update if anything happens :)
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    I would want in writing from the manufacturer that the frame has been appraised and has been deemed safe for riding.
    If they won't specifically guarantee that it is safe, then return it for a refund.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would want in writing from the manufacturer that the frame has been appraised and has been deemed safe for riding.
    If they won't specifically guarantee that it is safe, then return it for a refund.

On what basis do you think you'd be entitled to a refund for a crack in the paint?

Would you care to share your expertise on which you make such a judgement?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Monty Dog wrote:

On what basis do you think you'd be entitled to a refund for a crack in the paint?

Would you care to share your expertise on which you make such a judgement?

Point is... there is a visible crack (though not necessarily in the frame).
    Surely it is not the buyers responsibility to hope that it is not the frame that is cracked.
    The manufacturer should review the frame, and then declare that there is nothing structurally wrong with the frame.
    Then the buyer has no rights to claim for a refund.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    But if the manufacturer has reviewed several frames already, because it is a common problem and also well known not just for their products but also across the industry with comparable products - and in every case there was nothing structurally wrong and they see nothing here to indicate it is any different - then surely their experience and knowledge is applicable and compelling?