Pub Talk - Greatest Cycling Photo Ever!

Comments

• Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    phreak wrote:
    1949-giro-d-italia-Fausto-Coppi-Passo-Pordoi.jpg
    Who's that lad cadging a lift in the car behind?!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    For me, it's any photo of Robert Millar as he was the "inspiration" for me to ride my bike (badly) as a kid:

12811533943_625743ca96.jpg
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Tour1.jpg

I know they can border on cliché and are not necessarily great cycling photos, but no TdF is complete for me without some sunflowers.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    20120629-085622.jpg?w=628
  • Yeah that one is top class. I made an avatar out of his leg it was so cool.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • This is good.
    SeanKellyStPatricksHill2_zpsc567cbe8.jpg

This is better.
    lombardy83_zpsc335c4fd.jpg

DD.
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Have we had this one yet?

Magni-tube.jpg
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    picture-1.png

Terrible picture but the story it tells is epic:

roche+laplagne.jpg

huez97_600.jpg
  • I nominate myself.

PanTre99.jpg~original
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I love the old ones of guys riding unsurfaced mountain roads with spare tyres wrapped around them.

Quite like this one (and several others from that edition of L-B-L)

frostbite2.jpg

also any of those muddy P-R photos as well. Anything that shows the true suffering and epic nature that only cycling manages to provide as a sport.

Came across this as well which really shows the true colour and fanaticism of cycling

ONEV9435.jpg
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Mccaria wrote:
    Tour1.jpg

I know they can border on cliché and are not necessarily great cycling photos, but no TdF is complete for me without some sunflowers.

I had a great poster from the ‘87 TDF of Adrian Timmis riding a bike with a disc wheel through a field of sunflowers. I think it was from Winning magazine. My mum probably binned it. Would love to get hold of a copy if anybody has one?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Pixel for pixel this gives me more goosebumps than many

koen-mollema_zps69b96cda.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Mccaria wrote:
    Tour1.jpg

I had a great poster from the ‘87 TDF of Adrian Timmis riding a bike with a disc wheel through a field of sunflowers. I think it was from Winning magazine. My mum probably binned it. Would love to get hold of a copy if anybody has one?

Ada has it on his wall in his shop ( www.cadencesport.co.uk ) he'd be a good place to ask!

Edit.

Here you go.

AdaTT_zpsb2661637.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ANC - goo shout - I liked this one of Joey when I was getting into cycling

9896990995_6a4e709a6d.jpg
  • two from the same day

APP2003052382807.jpg

tdf89a.jpg
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This is the most important cycling picture to me. It's what hooked me on the sport. I watched it on the day and loved it. had to google terms etc during the race.

73f34d60-47c1-42a1-a236-7eebef64e94f_zps93e9a262.jpg
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    bettiniphoto_0050103_1_full_600.jpg
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Disgruntled Goat

I was on the Champs Élysées for that time trial. The French had come to anoint their champion and host one almighty celebration. The mood changed from euphoria to complete and utter dejection in about ooh 8 seconds ! Was thinking about this last week as I was skiing in Spain and during breakfast in walked Mr Delgado and family. If he hadn't been so slow to the prologue it could have been such a different Tour.
  • Mccaria wrote:
    Disgruntled Goat

I was on the Champs Élysées for that time trial. The French had come to anoint their champion and host one almighty celebration. The mood changed from euphoria to complete and utter dejection in about ooh 8 seconds ! Was thinking about this last week as I was skiing in Spain and during breakfast in walked Mr Delgado and family. If he hadn't been so slow to the prologue it could have been such a different Tour.

Did Pedro have his donkey with him?

Great tale about the Champs. I've never seen a man look more crushed than Fignon that day.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    Eddy_Merckx_1966.jpg

Awesome picture. The VW Type 3 cabriolet was never available as a production car and the only known examples are in museums, yet here is one used as a support car. :mrgreen:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Eddy_Merckx_1966.jpg

Awesome picture. The VW Type 3 cabriolet was never available as a production car and the only known examples are in museums, yet here is one used as a support car. :mrgreen:

I've got a type 3 (Notch back) didn't know they even made a cabrio!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    A few for the gallery:
    7cf3516c60b52d77ed1bcc06a2522b84.jpg

Always like this one, really captures the speed and fun sensation of body shift/balance through corners.
  • Paul 8v
    FocusZing wrote:
    A few for the gallery:

Always like this one, really captures the speed and fun sensation of body shift/balance through corners.
    This is a great photo, is it a period photo or a modern one with retro kit?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    Paul 8v wrote:

eddy-merckx-2.jpg

Another one you'll appreciate then 8)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Paul 8v
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

eddy-merckx-2.jpg

Another one you'll appreciate then 8)
    That looks so high! They're very jacked up as standard. Old vee dubs don't die, they just get lower 8)
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    A few for the gallery:

I'm pretty sure it is of it's time. Bikes are called Path Racers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_Racer
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    A few for the gallery:

I'm pretty sure it is of it's time. Bikes are called Path Racers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_Racer

Yep - period shot but AFAIK the rider and situation are unknown. The rider - totally focused and in the moment.