bonjourno from Skipton

sutty86
sutty86 Posts: 2
edited February 2014 in MTB beginners
Complete noob forgive me,my brother has given me his 'broke Scott voltage octagon yz2
I managed to sort it out by looking on the forums
Ended up only needing a new chain from halfrauds.

So I'm looking for places around here I can test it out any easy runs
I'm looking to increase my fitness whilst enjoying an hobby
I've only just moved here after spending ten years in the air force.
I have been using it ATM to commute to work
Its rides fine,gears seems good
Just occasional clank not sure where its coming from
I believe chain is correctly fitted I used the big cogs method plus one link and another master link.

V brakes are also on the bike looking slightly thin
Any suggestions on replacing
It would be nice to chat to some like minded people
Thanks Garry

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    At Skipton you're not too far from Gisburn (and on the edge of Yorkshire Dales for masses of XC riding):

http://www.pmba.org.uk/gisburn.htm

Leeds/Liverpool canal goes through Skipton too, for easy towpath rides to start getting your legs used to it.
  • Howdy,

I live in Gargrave and mainly ride out around the village, there is a club I have never ridden with but found:
    http://www.bogtrotters.org/index.php
    As above Gisburn is 20mins up road, well worth a trip, Blue run is a nice intro then work upto the Full8 Red run & never miss out Hully Gully!!
    Skipton/Embsay moor are riding distance from you, I think there are routes listed on bikely around our area.
    Enjoy
  • Hi there , I'm also from skipton and ride a lot at gisburn forest , there r a few good local rides ,Embsay moor , grassington moor , malham and ilkley moor . I ride with a group on a sat morn they are called mudpackers , they have a web site and on Facebook there is 3 of us from skipton and anyone is welcome along
  • Kowalski675
    never miss out Hully Gully!!

Indeed - almost worth the journey on its own. Just wish it was less of a grind back up to the top to do it again (same with the Hope Line).
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143

Indeed - almost worth the journey on its own. Just wish it was less of a grind back up to the top to do it again (same with the Hope Line).

It's a fire road spin back to the top of Hully Gully, and well worth it! I always do double Hully Gully now.
  • Kowalski675
    mcnultycop wrote:

It's a fire road spin back to the top of Hully Gully, and well worth it! I always do double Hully Gully now.

It might be a spin for you, it's a grind (usually with few yards pushing at the steepest bit of the bottom section) for me. :wink:
  • I actually meant mudpackers not bogtrotters, D'oh!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    mcnultycop wrote:

It might be a spin for you, it's a grind (usually with few yards pushing at the steepest bit of the bottom section) for me. :wink:

I'm not fit by any stretch, but that isn't too bad a climb. It's quite a long loop round though.
  • Kowalski675
    Once you get onto the fire road it's ok, but it's the steeper section of the rocky singletrack lower down that gets me. The fire road climb up the side of Hope Line's worse though, that's just a bast**d grind, would be great if they could build a more interesting section to bypass it. Over winter they've built an all new section of trail to bypass the first boring fire road climb though (from Circle toward Home Baked) which looks good.