The worst overtakers

bigmonka
bigmonka Posts: 361
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
I have come to the firm conclusion that the worst overtaking isn't those who drive too close, it isn't people who beep their horn unnecessarily, it's not the weirdos who yell at you whilst passing, it's not the chavs who throw things.
The worst thing to overtake you is an animal/livestock transporter. And it's not because they're often huge vehicles, it's because the air becomes so disgusting that you don't want to breathe it in. The smell lingers in the air for minutes after they've passed, and it's a truely foul smell of panicing animals packed together in a tiny space.

Does anyone else have the pleasure of these vehicles passing them on a regular basis?

Comments

• DJFish
    DJFish Posts: 49
    Are you talking about London Busses?
  • Never had a problem with livestock carriers. Buses/coaches always pass too close but the biggest bunch of dickheads in my opinion is the bikers that think it's funny to knock it down a couple of gears to get the revs nice and high, and then fly past you at 80 mph about 3 feet away. Seems to be a favourite pastime round here. Obviously doing it on purpose to put the shits up you. Happened to me again yesterday.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    steve6690 wrote:
    Never had a problem with livestock carriers. Buses/coaches always pass too close but the biggest bunch of dickheads in my opinion is the bikers that think it's funny to knock it down a couple of gears to get the revs nice and high, and then fly past you at 80 mph about 3 feet away. Seems to be a favourite pastime round here. Obviously doing it on purpose to put the shits up you. Happened to me again yesterday.

Unless you live in East Yorkshire they do here as well. I was buzzed by one 3 times the other week.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • I had one buzz me on a nice straight country lane last summer. Then he turned around, rode past me, turned and did it again. Mental
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    BigMonka wrote:
    The worst thing to overtake you is an animal/livestock transporter. And it's not because they're often huge vehicles, it's because the air becomes so disgusting that you don't want to breathe it in.

DJFish wrote:

funniest reply I've heard for a long time. :D
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Lots of land rovers towing small livestock containers here. They pass and just keep passing
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Bendy Buses - Scare the S#1T out of me sometimes.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Other roadies to be honest who even on a quiet wide road will overtake with inches to spare, assuming they haven't started drafting.

Folks on hybrids, MTB's unicycles etc leave a gap...
  • Bendy Buses - Scare the S#1T out of me sometimes.

Part of the reason they got rid of them in London and York.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Bendy Buses - Scare the S#1T out of me sometimes.

Part of the reason they got rid of them in London and York.
    I'm definitely glad they got rid of them here in York. But even the fumes from the engine aren't as nasty to breathe as a big livestock transporter! Honestly, it has to be experienced to be believed, you do everything you can to not breathe in and taste the air :(
  • Hybrid and electric vehicles.
  • BigMonka wrote:
    I'm definitely glad they got rid of them here in York. But even the fumes from the engine aren't as nasty to breathe as a big livestock transporter! Honestly, it has to be experienced to be believed, you do everything you can to not breathe in and taste the air :(

Rather like cycling past the dump at Coxhoe, uphill section so going slow and breathing heavily, not nice :(
  • Getting stuck behind a Refuse Truck is rather unpleasant - Thursdays seem to be 'rubbish day' in South London as I cycle through on my commute in - phew!!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • DJFish wrote:

That made me laugh out loud.
  • BigMonka wrote:
    I have come to the firm conclusion that the worst overtaking ... is an animal/livestock transporter... a truely foul smell of panicing animals packed together in a tiny space.
    Having grown up - and commute - in the country, I do not have any problem with the livestock fragrance (or, to put another way, animal sweat and s**t). My biggest issue (and perhaps I should be on the MTB forum) is, with my commute being cross-country, I will find myself being overtaken by sheep on a particularly steep climb.
    Now, perhaps I need not be using the well-worn track that the said sheep have created but it is the most convenient route uphill where I am and I am still staggered by the lack of imagination on the part of the sheep in that, with a human (on a two-wheeled contraption) using said track, they still insist on passing within inches of me.
  • amok
    amok Posts: 10
    Not sure if it's like this elsewhere, but cab drivers when riding in the CBD - they pass and then swerve in to pick someone up.
  • amok
    amok Posts: 10
    That's nothing mate, harden up!
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    I have a tractor problem. Around here we have large hen farms & the framers move large amounts of hen waste by tractor. On a good day I can reach 20mph, the tractor crawls pass and then makes a very slow get away. The smell isn't to bad but the ammonia is unbearable.

On the plus side, it makes me sprint if I here it coming up behind me.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BMW's, Mini's Volvo's (this morning it was a Volvo) seem to be the cars that pass closest leaving not enough space.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    Tractors can make for useful drafting. The fastrac type ones and the newer larger ones tend to stick below 30mph, usually around the 25mph sort of speed and create quite a big hole to sit behind. However, if it's a muck spreader or slurry tank on the back it is better to slow and let them get away as the air can get a bit thick.
  • Imperezas and Mitsubishi Evos with those modified dump valves... I can put up with most things overtaking on the commute but that "whoosh pop" scares the crap out of me every time!!
    Would get down on the drops more if the gut wasn't in the way!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    No, we're all wrong, the worst overtakers are the ones who don't get the hint that riding primary means "don't bother passing me, it's a dangerous waste of time", then pass you with maybe a 2mph differential and 20 cm gap, only to get to the back of the next bunch queuing traffic that your position in primary was hinting at, then they are out of position because they misjudged your speed or position but they are now blocking the line you'd have filtered through if they took the bleeding hint and stayed back and gave you plenty of space.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Hipsters on fixies that pass on the right and then while in front of you, jerking their bikes around the tiniest obstacles like holes to those paper sleeves straws come in. It's like their dodging heat seeking missiles at the very last possible moment. It's really unnerving.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    No, we're all wrong, the worst overtakers are the ones who don't get the hint that riding primary means "don't bother passing me, it's a dangerous waste of time", then pass you with maybe a 2mph differential and 20 cm gap, only to get to the back of the next bunch queuing traffic that your position in primary was hinting at, then they are out of position because they misjudged your speed or position but they are now blocking the line you'd have filtered through if they took the bleeding hint and stayed back and gave you plenty of space.

Or like when I'm on the right hand side of the lane, approaching a junction, with my arm stretched out to the right, that might not be a good time to overtake!
  • If the wind changes suddenly and I catch a whiff of my own armpits and body odour, that's the most offensive thing that does it for me.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    DJFish wrote:

Quality!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Getting stuck behind a Refuse Truck is rather unpleasant - Thursdays seem to be 'rubbish day' in South London as I cycle through on my commute in - phew!!

Only going to get worse in summer...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    this guy is the worst

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12960904
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes