Offa's Dyke Walk

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,218
edited March 2014 in The cake stop
I've recently started thinking about walking the length of Offa's Dyke, mainly for the enjoyment of the scenery and also to do a bit of charity fundraising for my company's chosen charity. In order to make it a suitable challenge I was initially looking at doing it in 5 days but from research 7 days seems to be considered quite a fast time to walk it by experienced hikers. This would average around 35 or 25 miles a day respectively although the actual daily distance is governed by available accommodation along the route.

With there being such an outdoors bunch on here I was wondering if anyone has walked the full route and, if so, would you consider 5 days to be doable? Also, does anyone have recommendations for B&B accommodation along the route? If I can make 35 miles on the first day the accommodation will be no problem but in the middle section there's less in the way of civilisation!

Comments

• :lol: Thought this subject was like top gears cool wall, but one for ladies who like ladies. :oops: :lol:
    2014 Ribble Gran Fondo
    2009 Rockhopper Comp
  • n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    Buttington House B&B (http://www.buttingtonhouse.com) is nice, just outside of Welshpool, near the trail. I know they close for the winter and open again in the Spring.

Nick
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I've walked this one and a half times and can confirm that it's a cracker. I did it in chunks, walking around 20 miles a day and if you're fit 25 should be OK, particularly if you do it during the long days in the summer.

Thirty five miles a day is a bit of a stretch, although I met some squaddies who were running it in some ridiculously short time so you never know. :) If you're really pushing on you can miss out on the terrific scenery - something to ponder.

There is a lot of information on the walk online and the Offa's Dyke Association is very helpful.

Enjoy the walk.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    How can you walk it half a time...^^^
  • Peddle Up!
    RideOnTime wrote:
    How can you walk it half a time...^^^

Halfway through the second excursion. :D
  • Peddle Up!
    n1ckster wrote:
    Buttington House B&B (http://www.buttingtonhouse.com) is nice, just outside of Welshpool, near the trail. I know they close for the winter and open again in the Spring.

Nick

Stayed there. Had Teddy Bears all over the bed! :shock:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Thanks all. The key is getting the balance between enjoying the walk and keeping it enough of a challenge. I intend doing it in the peak of summer with around 10 hours of walking a day. I've looked at a schedule for 6 days (roughly 30 miles per day) but will also look at 7 days. Initially I thought it followed the relatively flat border (it does at the southern end) but from looking into it more I now know there are some fairly hilly days!
  • Peddle Up!
    Pross wrote:
    Thanks all. The key is getting the balance between enjoying the walk and keeping it enough of a challenge. I intend doing it in the peak of summer with around 10 hours of walking a day. I've looked at a schedule for 6 days (roughly 30 miles per day) but will also look at 7 days. Initially I thought it followed the relatively flat border (it does at the southern end) but from looking into it more I now know there are some fairly hilly days!

Flat it ain't. :)
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Apparently 28,000 feet of ascent!
  • Reubs01
    Reubs01 Posts: 32
    Hay on Wye is a beautiful haven. Loads of B&Bs and some good food too.