A good bike deserves to live in the house

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited March 2014 in Road general
I tried to convince my wife that an expensive well cared for bike is better off in the house rather than at the bottom of the garden in a not very secure shed, but she's not having any of it. I'm holding out at the moment, but am running out of time. does the wife/girlfriend always win on this one ?

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    On the plus side, when you get kicked out of the house, you'll be able to keep the bike company in the shed.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Its all about having a nice way of storing it.

Have you considered wall mounts?

BIKERACKWALL.jpg

steady-rack-11000-single-vertical-bike-storage-rack.jpg
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Get rid of the wife. It'll save you money in the long run.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Move the wife into the shed and the bike into the house :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    Best Road bike in the hallway, a good talking point when visitors arrive.
    Second bike on turbo trainer, moves from kitchen to conservatory.
    Mountain bike on the landing, always good for hanging worktrousers on the bars
    White water playboat on landing as well.
    Surfboard managed to get into loft snuggles up to old Spesh rockhopper.
    Otherhalves cheapo bike on garage wall.
    Three kids scattered about, my house is tidy but somewhat resembles an Outdoor activity centre.

A friend has just got there very well protected shed broken into and three bikes stolen, one expensive one, and as usual not covered by enough insurance.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    My other half is (very) understanding.

While it sounds fun to have a bike in the house, if it's in the way it's a pain. And if it's not in the way it's not a pain.

So, if it's a pain your other half is right, if it's not she is wrong. She will very much appreciate being told this.
    Insert bike here:
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    For a long time, we had one bike in the dining room, two in the conservatory, one in the garage and a mountain bike in the shed.

Now the road bikes are all in the conservatory, and the mountain bike is in the shed.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    The thing that always concerns me about keeping bikes in a conservatory is that they're, well, transparent!!
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    victorian house with full height and length cellar chambers. Bikes, workshop and security all in one. Sorted. :wink:
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Funnily enough when I bought my VFR800 (motorbike) I mentioned a concern that the dog run wasn't the most secure for storing such an expensive item. I was thinking it was time to build a bigger more secure shed.

My wife suggested that with a portable ramp I could get it in through the back door and into the dining room!!

I was too gobsmacked to take up the offer. :shock:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My mountain bikes are in the garage and the my road bikes in the house. Point out to her how big a problem bike theft is and if it lived outside you'd have to spend a bit on security.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Best road bike should be in your bedroom. You know it makes sense.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • caad8
    caad8 Posts: 51
    The TT bike lives between the sofa back and the wall as its quite narrow, the road bike is in the kitchen on the turbo and the CX/winter is in the garage. Would have them all (and more) inside if I could!
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Just ask house or divorce? No one round these parts leaves bikes in sheds anymore. Ask her to put her jewellery box in the shed…
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • The shed is a bad place for bikes. I had a wheelset in the shed for a few months and the cassette had gone rusty, so such issues with the bike which is kept in the conservatory.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Wifes bike is on the turbo in the conservatory ... my bikes are in the ajoining garage - but regularly get brought in if I'm doing major work - like changing crankset & STIs.
    The best bike got a holiday in the spare bedroom whilst we were away.

mpatts is right - if they're in the way then it's not the right place for them - but if they can be stored out of the way then why not ...
  • I live in a flat and the people who run the building banded bikes from the whole building and provided a designated cycle room annexe. I told them I am not putting my expensive bike, around £4K at the time in there....it has been subject to attack from thieves....The bike is always lovely and warm at home where it belongs :)

I have never been married because of this, btw :D
  • Sounds like a good excuse for a 12x12 fully secured shed/mancave with power bench tools, tv and nudey calendar. Run that by her i assume the bike will be back in the house shortly.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Best bike lives in the house when not being ridden. Sometimes leaning against the radiator in the hallway, usually in the spare bedroom and occasionally on the turbo in front of the telly.

Second bike and hybrid are in the garage. Regular security but would not be life changing if either got nicked...
  • Get the wife a bike. Preferably one a bit blingier than yours. That way both will live in the house - it worked for me. Round our way it went from...

".... you can't have a bike till you've cleared out the shed"

to... "you can store it in the dining room for now but you'd better clear out the shed soon"

to... "I think I need a bike stand so that my bike can live in the dining room too".

There was a bit of...

"Could you take the bikes upstairs, so that we can get everyone around the dining room table on Christmas Day", but that was a small price to pay :)

PS... the shed is still full of shite, 18 months later. However, it did have a bumble bee colony over the summer, which got me off the hook. Can't disturb the bumble bees, being in decline and all.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    Felt Z85 & Spesh stumpjumper FSR shar the dining room with six chairs and a table! They'll eventually live in the basement when I get a new external door on it!
  • If you don't have a proper garage, then bikes should live in the house. Sheds do get too cold and too damp for bikes to live in in winter... summer is OK, but comes November you should keep your bikes indoor.

Scenario: you go for a wet ride and leave your wet and dirty bike in the shed for a week... you might need new bearings for the rear hub, new bearings for the bottom bracket and maybe even a new freehub and new bottom bearing for the headset... chain might rust too and you might need a new one... you are looking at a few hundred quid bill... if you have tubulars, they might start to rot

Not worth it, explain that to your GF and she'll understand the economics... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Mikey23
    I like the bee colony in the garage strategy... Might be worth importing some
  • Old shopping bike in the garage.
    Good bikes in the dining room.
    Visitors eat in the kitchen.

The shed was burgled a couple of years ago (value of goods taken less than cost of getting shed repaired).
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    My flat has its front door on the 3rd floor, and my flat is on the 4th so I have a set of stairs down to a little entryway that's about 180cm x 120 cm. I CAN fit 3 bikes there but I'm only allowed 2 otherwise S-1 (Rule 12) comes into affect.

At some point I am going to do the area up and have it look a bit nicer more storage, but I'm not sure the best way of getting two bikes in yet.

8729853546_7065bc4df5.jpg
    Sorry the pic is a bit rubbish, its the only one I have of it and at the time I was playing around with long exposures and torches.

Ideally what I'd like to do would be hang one of them above my stairs on a pully system but I've been banned. I will try again shortly.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Turn the shed into an erotic dungeon where you can both live out your wildest fantasies. It will then seem perfectly reasonable to move the bike into the house to make more room in the shed.

article-0-16985C52000005DC-400_634x675.jpg
  • Mikey23
    Hah, got this book for my friend for her Christmas present last year. Very funny!
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Road bike lives by the fire place in winter, the mountain bike under the stairs. Though it was requested I use the shed and use the back gate in and out for rides I won the argument due to all the horse riding stuff in the porch... which also smells.. unlike my bikes (though not my climbing shoes).

I'm tempted to make one area which currently has a desk and printer into a storage area but that is her unused work area so saving that for a later day, when she is away.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Well my other half rides so our Road Bikes live in the house. Both our MTB live in a locked shed. Not ideal but good enough for our location anyway.
  • Best road bike should be in your bedroom. You know it makes sense.

I am not ashamed to admit it