Custom Dozzina Titanium

Dozzina
Dozzina Posts: 44
edited February 2016 in Your road bikes
Evening,

A ti frame was something I had been considering for a while, so after a few emails back and forth with Monty Dog I decided to start designing the build. I used Walty Ti and it set me back £450 delivered to my door. Initially I was going to use this years Di2 but the deals on Ribble were too good to ignore. Ideally I would like an internal seatpost to help with the clean lines and the way the shifting is the opposite of SRAM Red is annoying (something that you can change on the latest Di2).

I wont post all the typical analogy's 'smooth as butter', 'as stiff as my carbon bike', but it looks good and is a dream to ride. D'oh.

sdftzk.jpg

2jfegl1.jpg

Frame: Custom Ti - Internal Di2 routing.
Forks: 3T Funda Pro Carbon
Bars: Zipp Service Course SL
Stem: Zipp Service Course SL
Headset: Cane Creek 40 ZeroStack
Bar Tape: Pro

Group: Ultegra Di2

Seat: Fizik Antares VS
Seat Post: Non branded Carbon with Bontrager clamps.

Pedals: Speedplay Stainless - Grey

Wheels: Hplus Son Archetypes in Grey - 28 2x DT Comps, Brass Nipples.
Tire: Continental GP4000S (25's)

Accessories: Elite Cages - stealth black. : cough : Sram out in front Garmin adapter. Garmin 500 (will have to sort that red out).

Weight: 8.2 Kg

Comments

• Very nice indeed!

Is it custom geometry? Amazing value for money. Close up photos of welds to convince the cynical ones? That doesn't include me, by the way, I'm just too much of a scaredy cat to take a punt on the Waltly supplier for my once-in-a-lifetime ti purchase. I'm waiting for my Burls ti to be delivered.
  • davman
    davman Posts: 31
    Dozzina
    sorry, i'm missing something here. You paid £450 for a custom geometry Ti frame? Can i ask where from?

thanks

Simon
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Dozzina wrote:
    Ideally I would like an internal seatpost to help with the clean lines

Looks like you already have one?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Dozzina wrote:
    Ideally I would like an internal seatpost to help with the clean lines

Looks like you already have one?

I meant internal battery. :oops:
  • Here's some shots that were sent over during manufacture.

r1yauf.jpg

2i1pca8.jpg

ws3gk0.jpg

2lag0oy.jpg

All 'custom' geometry and spec touches like the Di2 holes on headtube, seat tube and the end of chain stay. You get what you ask for. Geometry was loosely based on the VN Astraeus + or - a mm here and there.
  • Seeing as you are running Ultegra Di2 using the E-tube wiring system you can:

Run an internal battery

Change how it shifts via the E tube software you download
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Good work.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Cheers ThanksBye - didn't realise you could change how it shifts, thought it was only the 2014 models. Great news. Now to find a LBS with the interface.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    davman wrote:
    Dozzina
    sorry, i'm missing something here. You paid £450 for a custom geometry Ti frame? Can i ask where from?

thanks

Simon

I would like to know the answer to this.
  • dwanes wrote:
    davman wrote:
    Dozzina

thanks

Simon

I would like to know the answer to this.

One would assume from Walty Ti.
    Dozzina wrote:
    I used Walty Ti

Link: http://waltly.en.alibaba.com/
  • Or here ...

http://waltly.manufacturer.globalsource ... e-part.htm

Good job they dont make a cyclocross frame :oops:
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Nice - the finish looks great for the money.

I see Waltly even list a Ti fatbike!
  • Polished finish is included within the standard price, a sandblasted 'name/brand/logo' will cost an extra £12. This was too subtle for my liking so I laser cut some matte black vinyl to outline it. I'd like a 3d printed head badge to finish the frame off.

On a plus note - any scratches can be removed with a little wire wool, mr sheen and a polishing cloth.
  • @ Dozzina

Did you get hit up for Customs duties and VAT etc etc ...

Seriousoly tempted in asking them to make me a cross frame .
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    looking at the company's website, you can't order a one-off, there's a minimum usually of 5 or more. am i missing something?
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    sophidog wrote:
    looking at the company's website, you can't order a one-off, there's a minimum usually of 5 or more. am i missing something?

4 mates? :lol:
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    Ive been really tempted
    I can't find how to order one, and how to order anything other than their standard designs.
  • Lots of unanswered questions Dozzina. It would be nice if you could share some answers with us, particularly how you got around the minimum order of five issue.

http://www.spanner.org.uk/ is a good website, especially the FAQ.

Customs as you know is like playing roulette, although more often than not you end up paying an added 20% of whatever the product is worth. So put aside an extra £90. If you don't get stung, brucie bonus.

Alibaba is not Walty's website, more of a gateway to the Far East.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waltly shows some previous work, belt driven, fat bikes whatever.

My initial contact was through - http://waltly.en.alibaba.com/contactinfo.html requesting possibility of one off frame, finishes available, tubes sizes etc and what I would need to provide them with so they could produce a CAD drawing, the responses were then back and forth through my Hotmail account.

6 weeks from initial contact to the frame delivered at my door. Two weeks of those were me playing about with drawings and altering the sandblast file.

I spec'd:

» Frame Utilises a 44mm Head Tube
    » Frame Utilises a 130.0 mm Rear Axle Spacing
    » Frame Utilises a 31.6mm mm Seat Post Diameter
    » Frame Utilises a 34.9 mm Clamp On Front Derailleur
    » Frame Utilises a 34.9 mm Seat Collar
    » Maximum 25-622 (700C x 25 mm) Tire Clearance
    » Two bottle cage mounts
    » Replaceable rear hanger
    » Press fit BB30 Bottom bracket

Hope this helps.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Definitely recommend Waltly Titanium - my 29er plus is on Spanner Bikes. No worries on doing single frames either and very easy to deal with compared to XACD who I've dealt with previously. Currently dreaming up my next custom frame..
    Just seen a review of a £1500 frame on another site that pretty obviously comes from the same factory - seems an expensive way of paying for a warranty.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Just seen a review of a £1500 frame on another site that pretty obviously comes from the same factory - seems an expensive way of paying for a warranty.

I guess you're meaning the Road CC review of the new Kinesis Ti frame? I must say the photos of this Waltly frame show some very impressive quality framebuilding. It's funny when the cynics knock the Far Eastern manufacturers who not only have been doing the job extremely well for years but also supply most UK brands of "handbuilt Ti" frames.

It was amusing (and slightly saddening at the same time) to see the recent Road CC review of the new UK-designed-and-built (and hugely overpriced) Ti frame with a PR photo showing truly awful weld quality. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot, and further illutsration of my point above - you need experience to build Ti frames well.
  • majormantra
    Link?
  • majormantra
    Hmmm, doesn't look great, does it? I wonder if the lighting is exaggerating things at all.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Possibly. I was talking to Justin Burls today. He's an experienced steel frame builder and when he went into Ti he decided that it would take far too many years and far too high a cost to get anywhere near as good as the Russian or Chinese Ti frame builders, so he opted to contract it to them, the experts.

Good luck to that new UK Ti brand, but it's an ambitious business model, making in the UK, by inexperienced people, at very premium prices.
  • Dozzina
    The welds on that Baldwin look terrible. I would be gutted if I received that level of finish from Walty, let alone a £3k frame.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I'm slightly biased knowing dozzina very well…. its all there in the detail lovely bike and lots of thought gone into it.
  • wilkij1975
    wilkij1975 Posts: 531
    Loving the look of this and the price too! Could be tempted.

I take it being titanium, you don't get the same worry as with the Chinese carbon frames?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    8) nice.
  • Dozzina
    wilkij1975 wrote:
    Loving the look of this and the price too! Could be tempted.

I take it being titanium, you don't get the same worry as with the Chinese carbon frames?
    I built up a carbon disc Chinese frame a year or so ago for the winter months and some CX rides. I would personally avoid the pencil thin carbon stays that I've seen but that's my opinion. I'd be more worried about the Ti frame as someone is welding it up, cutting to specific sizes, angles whereas the carbons are just banged out of a mould (to be blunt).

Took it for it's first major ride today - 85 miles in the sunshine. Couldn't fault it.