Top Gear. The new bike TV programme

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited March 2014 in Road general
I am indeed a sad person.

Just watched last Sundays episode. Lovely Alfa roaring up some mountainous bends somewhere.

I was ignoring the car and thinking how much fun that would be on a bicycle.

Is there any hope for me?

Comments

• Glad I am not the only one =D
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Nope. Wrong. That was the first time since the Ferrari F40 came out that I have though 'oh my god I desperately desperately want that car'.

Just stunning.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • The F40 is by far one of the most legendary cards ever, so beautiful.

I missed the episode, but if it was mountain roads I always think about riding bikes there. The worst is when I am in Austria without a bike, that is killer.
  • napoleond
    You need to watch it! Stunning cyvling roads but oh my god the car!!!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I'll check it out on Iplayer, hopefully it is up there already.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    It sounded nice but the Alfa looked better than the Touring re-bodied one. Some naff styling on that.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Me-109 wrote:
    It sounded nice but the Alfa looked better than the Touring re-bodied one. Some naff styling on that.

For some reason it reminded me of a amphibious vehicle i vaguely remember seeing some years ago. Something about the way the front rounded up towards the bonnet rather than going for that hunkered down look a lot of modern sports cars have. Also, that horizontal depression running along the side of the car was just hideous.
  • napoleond
    Funny how peoples perceptions are different. I thought it was the best looking car I've seen in nearly 30 years.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Nah it looked ugly :)

Looked like a chimera of different body bits for various car,s orginal one was nicer
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I couldn't work out what it really looked like. There wasn't really a single shot that showed you properly what it looked like. All arty angles and high speed panning. It was a very crap feature.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The entire episode was filler really, all off doing things on their own, obviously filmed well in advance when they all had other commitments.

But I think it speaks to the time of year really, it's been a long winter and we're all dreaming of a sunny day and a mountain road!
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    The Touring's overall shape and some of the body accents reminded me of the Fiat Barchetta. I think there are shades of 60's Stingray in there as well. The flares and side strakes over the front wheel arch and along below the bonnet line don't really work and the rear wheel arch with its squared off top really clashes with the lines on the rest of the car. There's too much space between the metalwork and the rear wheel, making it look under-tyred; Closing that gap with metal would make the back end too cumbersome and deep.
  • lighty89
    lighty89 Posts: 183
    Top Gear have got a bit of a cyclist special this coming Sunday, with making the drivers more aware etc. Chris Hoy/Boardman will be on it as well.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
    Commuter - Raleigh Grande
  • This picture of it was posted a few weeks ago

BfOF4j_IUAAj3KV.jpg
  • The Alfa was driven around Lake Como... just enter the Tour of Lombardy and you can ride those roads... or take a holiday to Bellagio
    left the forum March 2023
  • I tweeted Clarkson to ask him because of the same reason!! (no reply)
  • This picture of it was posted a few weeks ago

BfOF4j_IUAAj3KV.jpg

This picture puzzles me. Would be interested to see what its all about.

No doubt its a back-hand way of promoting anti-cycling attitudes by Clarkson to begin with.

He also has his moth taped shut ! ?

Lycra over jeans is funny however.
  • Probably to stop him shouting at motorists / other cyclists or whatever other madcap thing they decided on ;). Rather limits oxygen intake too however ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Me-109 wrote:

Agree with this, they were attempting to get the styling of too many iconic cars in there and it looked a mess. The Alfa prior to the coachworks is a prettier car.

I also looked at the mountains and thought how much I'd like to be riding it though.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Go on then, what did we think? Not sure CB saved that one (not that there was ever much chance).., overall disappointing...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Oh. I dunno. The red/green bit was amusing. It was only ever going to be a piss take as that's what they do....
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    tbh the "give cyclists an inch they gave you a mile" was actually a good idea if done properly.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Thought it was sick IMO.

Did make some points about red light jumpers and those cyclists that are arrogant tossers 2 abrest and show little respect.

But the way they portrayed the fact people die at the hands of poor driving was brushed over totally.

Trouble with it however is its another reinforcement of the growing anti cyclning mentality in this country that's putting the life of cyclists at risk.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Refused to watch it as I knew exactly what bulls*it they would come out with.

Was genuinely hoping to be suprised...apparently not.

This is a taxpayer funded programme, I suggest sending a letter/email or two if it was that bad?
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    tbh the "give cyclists an inch they gave you a mile" was actually a good idea if done properly.

This is actually a worthwhile message and the one worth selling. The setup was done poorly and, given recent history, offensively. Overall a massively missed opportunity with a germ of good.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    I liked it & thought it was highly amusing, made me laugh anyway. The very good & valid point they raised was the one about buses & how irresponsible some of the drivers can be. This is quite accurate, for London anyhow.

I might try that toothpaste thing, sounds interesting...
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Refused to watch it as I knew exactly what bulls*it they would come out with.

Was genuinely hoping to be suprised...apparently not.

This is a taxpayer funded programme, I suggest sending a letter/email or two if it was that bad?

The BBC license fee is not a tax in any way. It's something you choose to pay if you wish to watch live TV.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Going back to the Alpha, sounded amazing, now time to win the millions, go buy one and take both car and bike around the lake.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Watched the cycling bit on Top Gear tonight and I have to say that I seriously feel like complaining to the BBC, something I have never done before.

I thought it was pretty offensive and I can't begin to think what the relatives of people who have been seriously injured or killed while cycling would think. I know it was supposed to be funny and not to be taken too seriously, but I just thought it was pathetic (like most of the so-called 'challenges' are on Top Gear). I kept waiting for some sort of 'but seriously, cycling can be dangerous and car drivers should give them plenty of room, etc', but it never came apart from trying to blame bus drivers.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    I agree. It was sick and demeaning but it will fall on deaf ears and also strengthen Clarksons stance.