No wonder cyclists get angry.... Video.

Porkyboy
Porkyboy Posts: 433
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
Hi

Just makes you wonder what goes through these people's minds when they cut you up like this, filmed this afternoon.

http://youtu.be/emRzHi5KR7I

Q

Comments

• Looks fairly standard driving tbf fair
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Like the graphic readout. Might be a statement of the obvious, but, approaching roundabout at the speed shown I would be inclined to fairly aggressively move out to primary. Hopefully sufficient to stop such twattish action.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Not sure you'll go viral with that...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    That it?

If that upsets you I suggest putting the bike down and getting some anger management classes.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Christ,if I had a pound everytime that happened to me.

This really is the norm.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Stick to Majorca videos, that's as dull as watching football :wink:
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Its not exactly a spectacular revelation that sometimes people drive less than perfectly. Ranging anything from inconsiderate to near attempted murder. Cyclists don't have a monopoly on this topic. Every road user has to endure and make allowances for the errors or carelessness of others. I come across lots of bad driving when I'm on my bike but even more when I'm in the car. Not all offenders are drivers either. Believe it or not cyclists do things wrong too. Amazing huh?

So drop this anti driver nonsense. There's already a perceived rift between motorists and cyclists and you're trying to make it worse. As far as I'm concerned that makes you more the problem than the solution. If you used a less adversarial title and your video was actually a terrible malicious crime against safety and you were saying "look at this isolated incident" that would be fine. However you're trying to say motorists as a group are the enemy of cyclists and provide something to get people angry. By the way the video is a failure in that regard - it's nothing special or outrageous.

Regardless, I'm not buying what you're selling and I hope no one else is either. It's just an attempt at trouble making propaganda.

Everyone makes a mistakes. Some drivers are incompetent as are some cyclists and you can often spot these a mile away. Most are generally fine but we all make mistakes from time to time. I reckon that's what most incidents boil down to, isolated mistakes. I know I've made one or two in the last 200,000km of driving. Thankfully nothing that caused an accident or got me in trouble.

Most cyclists drive. Most drivers do not cycle. If we can't make allowances for drivers what chance is there that they'll make any for us?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Plus one..

But it won't stop the usual keyboard warriors piling in for a couple of days before they get bored...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    To be fair I wouldn't be happy with that but I wouldn't go to the hassle of uploading it to the web. Probably get something as bad on every commute but that shouldn't make it acceptable.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Car overtakes bike, car stops at roundabout, bike undertakes car, what am I missing?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    the car gave you loads of room, look at how far over the car is as it approaches the roundabout, you on the other hand cut up the inside of the car, just as well he/she saw you and wasn't stopping to drop a passenger off :) then you d really have something to moan about!
  • Christ,if I had a pound everytime that happened to me.

This really is the norm.

Isn't that kind of the point? There are lots of not especially bad but just a little inconsiderate drivers around and that can make commuting in particular rather less pleasant than it ought to be.
    I do think experiencing that sort of manoeuvre from a cyclists perspective would encourage drivers to leave rather more room/ actually plan ahead so as not to cut you up.

It is something that I expect/hope will become increasingly rare provided using bikes as a mode of transport continues to become more common.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    It's poor driving and a motorist wouldn't cut in front of another car like that.

It's not a mistake, we can all make mistakes, it's an example of the way some motorists just don't consider cyclists as anything other than an obstacle to get past as soon as possible. It may not be the worst example but the fact we have ride primary in these circumstances shows it's too common.

Last week I had an HGV overtake me on the A6 and signal left before he was even past me - he reached the junction just as I cleared the back of his vehicle - to be fair I think he realised that if I continued and he continued I was dead as he hesitated before turning across me presumably to check I 'd realised his mistake and had stopped but ffs if a professional driver can pull a stunt like that what chance do we have. Second overtake and turn across me that week too - other one was a car and if I'd been a novice rider could have had me off. Funnily enough these things don't happen to me when I'm in a car.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Mikey23
    OP... Why do you think folks might be even slightly interested in videos of your cycling exploits.

It's little bit like getting a load of random strangers in to your house to watch your holiday slides
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Mikey23 wrote:
    OP... Why do you think folks might be even slightly interested in videos of your cycling exploits.

It's little bit like getting a load of random strangers in to your house to watch your holiday slides

Or 'Pictures of the wedding'... ...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Porkyboy
    Mikey23 wrote:
    OP... Why do you think folks might be even slightly interested in videos of your cycling exploits. It's little bit like getting a load of random strangers in to your house to watch your holiday slides

Dunno, but oddly many are. I guess folks are free to watch what they like and to ignore that which they would rather not watch.

Q
  • Mikey23
    Sorry... That was a bit OTT!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    Porkyboy wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    OP... Why do you think folks might be even slightly interested in videos of your cycling exploits. It's little bit like getting a load of random strangers in to your house to watch your holiday slides

Dunno, but oddly many are. I guess folks are free to watch what they like and to ignore that which they would rather not watch.

Q
    Many are. Just to see what the fuss is about. And are extremely disappointed.
    That kind of manoeuvre happens all the time whether in the car or on the bike. Not right but not worth bringing to anyone's attention as in all reality, there was plenty of room.
    The only question I had at the end was, why squeeze up the inside?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Actually the question I had at the end was - what do you use to get the graphics overlayed?

The overtake and stop is nothing unusual - I usually get one or two "something and nothing" incidents like that in my commute - I don't see half the traffic that urban guys get so I'm quite lucky.
    The difference on my ride is that cars are coming past at anything up to 60mph - when the bus goes past quick and close you know about it!
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Ok so the original vid wasn't as controversial as promised/expected, but i quiet like his majorca vids, if I was planning a trip i'd certainly look at them if they were roads i was going to ride. Glad people go to the trouble of uploading and sharing, i you don't want to watch, then simple, don't but c'mon to give a fellow cyclist hassle for uploading cycling vids to utube
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Didn't think the incident was particularly unusual but I can understand the annoyance. The one that gets my goat, probably more when driving than cycling, is motorists delayed in traffic queues who actively pull close to the curb to prevent cyclists progressing with their jourmey.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    Ok so the original vid wasn't as controversial as promised/expected, but i quiet like his majorca vids, if I was planning a trip i'd certainly look at them if they were roads i was going to ride. Glad people go to the trouble of uploading and sharing, i you don't want to watch, then simple, don't but c'mon to give a fellow cyclist hassle for uploading cycling vids to utube
    The problem is not the uploading of videos. I can applaud any well done video.
    The problem is the misleading title which leads to disappointment, and increased views. You do not know what you will see when you click on the link so the decision not to watch is not easy to make. I expected something interesting.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Porkyboy
    Slowbike wrote:
    Actually the question I had at the end was - what do you use to get the graphics overlayed?

-> Slowbike. The package used is by a company called DashWare, I'm just getting going with it.

Q
  • Porkyboy
    PBlakeney wrote:
    The problem is the misleading title which leads to disappointment, and increased views.

-> PBlakeney - I'm sorry you felt misled and disappointed, that certainly wasn't my intention. For the record I couldn't give a $hit how many views my material gets, that's not why I make my recordings.

Q :lol:
  • Porkyboy
    Didn't think the incident was particularly unusual but I can understand the annoyance. The one that gets my goat, probably more when driving than cycling, is motorists delayed in traffic queues who actively pull close to the curb to prevent cyclists progressing with their jourmey.

-> BillyMansell - I couldn't agree more.

Q
  • That it?

If that upsets you I suggest putting the bike down and getting some anger management classes.
    Nail. Head.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Give the OP a break - may not be the most shocking manouvre in the world, or make the most exciting/dangerous viewing but he's entitled to post it here - it is a Cycling Forum after all - and in truth the driver was less than considerate. Consider that situation if the cyclist was fairly new to the road and inexperienced. The driver could just as easliy have waited for the cyclist to reach and access the roundabout - like their lives are so important they can't wait another five seconds.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Give the OP a break - may not be the most shocking manouvre in the world, or make the most exciting/dangerous viewing but he's entitled to post it here - it is a Cycling Forum after all - and in truth the driver was less than considerate. Consider that situation if the cyclist was fairly new to the road and inexperienced. The driver could just as easliy have waited for the cyclist to reach and access the roundabout - like their lives are so important they can't wait another five seconds.
    You're defending the OP's right to post but not our right to comment. A little inconsistent don't you think? As you said yourself "it is a cycling forum after all".
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Not sure this would make me angry :evil:

The driver cuts in a bit, but this happens every couple of miles round here. If that's the worst thing that's happened recently, you're very lucky.