Bike transport boxes. A new model.

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited March 2014 in Road general
I have just picked up from the supplier the first of the new Velovault boxes.

Built entirely in the UK, and said to have improved on the currently available boxes with better ability to cope with lots of different bikes, less disassembly and stronger components.

Will be taking it on a long haul flight next week so I should be able to report back then.

Not a big posh company, but a nice little video showing how it works.
http://youtu.be/wYjvZyA8XB0

No commercial connection, I am just an early adopter. :D

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Just another Scicon/BBA. Ain't got nothing on the Thule Round Trip Transition.

What's the retail?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Looks very much like my bike box alan.
  • And mine.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I got bored after 40 seconds. So it's no different to Alan or Scicon then?

I work I marketing and I’d say 10 minutes is way too long for a web video. I always we try to keep promos under 3 minutes. But the shorter the better really
  • The guys aren't pretending it is very different from the Alan which they admit is a great product.

They did run through with me the differences. Things like more robust catches, better wheel recessing, and some internal stuff but you wouldn't see any of it on the video. They rent out Alan's and know them very well. I struggled to see the differences.

Retail about £450 I think.

As to the video, yes it's too long, but it's meant to be instructional, not marketing so I don't mind it.

I wish them well. Nice to see a new product, designed and built in the UK.
  • Can't really see that it brings anything new to the party....unless it's price?

I use an EVOC which has been great so far (6 or so return trips), and because it's semi-rigid you can fit it in cars easier (we got it into a Fiat 500 - just!)

But I do like the new Helium inflatable one, but they're expensive.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The guys aren't pretending it is very different from the Alan which they admit is a great product.

They did run through with me the differences. Things like more robust catches, better wheel recessing, and some internal stuff but you wouldn't see any of it on the video. They rent out Alan's and know them very well. I struggled to see the differences.

Retail about £450 I think.

As to the video, yes it's too long, but it's meant to be instructional, not marketing so I don't mind it.

I wish them well. Nice to see a new product, designed and built in the UK.

So it brings nothing new to the able and it's more expensive than a BBA? Opportunism at its finest...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Hi All,

Jumping on in here as the manufacturer of the VeloVault to explain how and why we manufactured it!
    Yes we all agree that the BBA is an excellent box which we have no harm in admitting! We've taken a good design and improved on it to make sure that it fits 29ers without removing the tyres, to include disc brake protection, to have wheel locking by either the wheel skewer or velcro straps (depending on personal preference) and also the anti crush pole is attached at the top and bottom so you don't have the awkward part when trying to close the box and hold the pole in place. We use airline grade catches, upgraded wheels and impact resistant foam.

The packing video is long i agree (I edited it!) but it is a packing video to show inexperienced people how to pack, the QR code which links to the video is stuck inside the box as a handy reminder!

Incidentally the box was designed by Xterra triathlete Sam Gardner as he couldn't transport his 29ers easily to races!!
    See the images on our website as they do the box way more credit then my words can!
    http://bikebox-online.co.uk/velovault.html