Wiggo to ride Glasgow 2014 and Vuelta

Yellow Peril
Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
edited February 2014 in Pro race
Does this represent a re-calibration of expectation on his part or was it always going to happen?
@JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I thought he was supposed to be riding for Froome at the tour?

Vuelta is an odd choice for Wiggo!?
  • Riding the Vuelta as prep for the worlds http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-w ... the-vuelta
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Ah of course, will probably not ride the whole thing, just use it as prep.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    I thought he was supposed to be riding for Froome at the tour?

Vuelta is an odd choice for Wiggo!?

Isn't that notion up there with "I'm going to stick my nuts in my Rottweiler's mouth" in terms of likelihood?
    @JaunePeril

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    No, he has said that he will ride the Commonwealths straight after the Tour:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/26337773
  • Does this represent a re-calibration of expectation on his part or was it always going to happen?

Expressed interest in trying for a Commie TT gold in interview last Sep, so that's not new.

The Vuelta's new - wants to get the extra miles in the legs that Fabs and Tony have by doing the Vuelta before the Worlds
  • Until he actually produces a performance of note (for the right reasons) he should keep his thoughts to himself ... Did he learn nothing from last year?
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    "I forgot about the Commonwealths, I'm glad you reminded me actually because I've got to fill a form in otherwise I can't ride it."
    :lol:http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/feb/25/bradley-wiggins-commonwealth-games-cycling
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Until he actually produces a performance of note (for the right reasons) he should keep his thoughts to himself ... Did he learn nothing from last year?

What thoughts did he express which you think he should keep to himself?

Seemed like a very innocuous interview, bit like the first Q at PMQs when he tells everyone what he doing that week.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Lordy, I must have completely dreamed about that Worlds silver medal he won last Sep

Shocking stuff...the silver medallist says he'd like to try and win a gold at the Commies....
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Do racing miles really matter for TTing?* In my (tiny) mind I imaging a solitary figure grinding out the miles.
    Or do they need the racing to keep the motivation?

Related - do we know if this years' World's course is technical or hilly ?

*Clearly Wiggo and others think so.
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    Do racing miles really matter for TTing?* In my (tiny) mind I imaging a solitary figure grinding out the miles.
    Or do they need the racing to keep the motivation?

Related - do we know if this years' World's course is technical or hilly ?

*Clearly Wiggo and others think so.

Pretty sure the TT course is another one for the power merchants. The RR course isnt as tough as last year's.
  • Lordy, I must have completely dreamed about that Worlds silver medal he won last Sep

Shocking stuff...the silver medallist says he'd like to try and win a gold at the Commies....

What use is silver in the WC's? It's winning and honour of wearing the rainbow jersey that counts ...
  • Until he actually produces a performance of note (for the right reasons) he should keep his thoughts to himself ... Did he learn nothing from last year?

Seemed like a very innocuous interview, bit like the first Q at PMQs when he tells everyone what he doing that week.

He keeps talking about goals etc ... When was the last time he achieved one? ToB would be clutching at straws given the true status and parcours of that race ...

I just think that when your performance has dropped so spectacularly it might be best to have some indicator that something more might be possible before talking about it ... Granted, he's a victim of his own hype but that's just how it goes ...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Until he actually produces a performance of note (for the right reasons) he should keep his thoughts to himself ... Did he learn nothing from last year?

He keeps talking about goals etc ... When was the last time he achieved one? ToB would be clutching at straws given the true status and parcours of that race ...

I just think that when your performance has dropped so spectacularly it might be best to have some indicator that something more might be possible before talking about it ... Granted, he's a victim of his own hype but that's just how it goes ...

I reckon there's a strong possibility that one of the Top 3 testers in the world has a reasonable crack at a Commonwealth gold. No?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

I kinda assumed with Wiggins, after the tour and the olympics that he was going to go into the Olympic cycle, time off after championship (Tour and Olympics), first year start building form (poor at start, then TOB and WC silver), this year achieve more and then next year dedicated to track, following year Olympics.

Does anyone think he actually has goals to win a race this year, I think it will be looking to win TT's where possible and building form for any applicable one day TT.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Some very strange comments on here.
    He had a very bad year last year. Prior to that though he did reasonably well, I think its fair to say winning the TDF and Olmpic Gold Medal in the same year is quite good and would be classed as achieving your goals - so about 18 months ago. He was also second in the Worlds TT behind a very powerful and talented rider, there are a lot of class riders out there but there can only ever be one winner. (Granted Martin won by a decent amount of time though)
    From what I garnered from his recent interviews is that he acknowledges if he rides the tour it will be as a domestique (seems to have accepted that Froome is ahead of him in the team pecking order), he is aiming for Commonwealth Gold plus World Gold in the TT. He also discusses the races he is in that he feels will help him achieve his goals....
    Can't really see the problem myself. I'm no Wiggins fan as such, but I would like to see him back to his competitive best, it will be best for cycling as a spectacle. Last year he was very poor, his behaviour at times may have seemed somewhat churlish and he may have spent too much time self promoting - but lets hope he has learnt his lesson and we have a lot of exciting close races.
    With regards to the Vuelta, I'm just hoping he tries to emmulate Martin but this time to survive the lone break. Now that was damn good riding and made exciting TV.
  • And luckily Germany is not a part of the Commonwealth. As my old dad says on the point "They were never part of our Empire but they were desperate to make us part of theirs" #stereotypicaloldgit
    @JaunePeril

• And luckily Germany is not a part of the Commonwealth. As my old dad says on the point "They were never part of our Empire but they were desperate to make us part of theirs" #stereotypicaloldgit

My dad used to praise the Waffen SS as a masterful example of military organisation and might

#worrying
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    UKIPCyclingExpert ‏@UKIPCyclingExpert 10m

Sir Farrago correctly wielding veto hammer on German Commonwealth's wildcard application #niceonenigel #hedgeslammer
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

My dad used to praise the Waffen SS as a masterful example of military organisation and might

#worrying

Well assuming one of the S's in SS stands for Sky...#areRaphareallyHugoBoss
    @JaunePeril

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    For a dude that Win the Tour followed by a Gold in the Olympics. He think he is one of hte few who can speak his mind about goals more then more tbh. Some weird hate for the guy. Only fair to give him his dues.

Anyone winning a Silver in the worlds then to be gold you had a shit season.... alright for some.

Goodluck to the guy is all I can say. Aim high and go for it.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Lordy, I must have completely dreamed about that Worlds silver medal he won last Sep

What use is silver in the WC's? It's winning and honour of wearing the rainbow jersey that counts ...
    Silver is still a great performance - no mean feat beating Canc, and Martin was different class in 2013.

As for the rainbow jersey - I'm sure Wiggo knows what it means. He does have 6 of them already.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • "What use is silver in the Worlds?"

Crank, if you have children, I really hope they havent been brought up to believe that winning is the only thing that counts, and anything less is worthless

But then I suspect if it was any other rider, you wouldnt come out with something so ridiculous
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    RR - other than Wiggins, and without Google, how many other World TT silver medalists can you name? I could only name one other.

Now if I had ever been selected to ride the World TT everyone and their grandkids would be told about it.
  • "What use is silver in the Worlds?"

Crank, if you have children, I really hope they havent been brought up to believe that winning is the only thing that counts, and anything less is worthless

But then I suspect if it was any other rider, you wouldnt come out with something so ridiculous

As Big Bean says, other than guys like Rogers who then got 'promoted' to gold, which silver medalists can you remember without trying really, really hard ...

You are right though, if it was anyone other than Wiggins I wouldn't be passing comment ... Pretty much because there wouldn't be a thread dedicated to such banality ...

Plus success is quantifiable based on past achievements ... Olympic gold means less if you can't back that up by being the WC, especially in a discipline like TT where it's you versus the road, it comes off as a lucky win ... Same with the TdF win, Wiggins is currently no further ahead than Horner ... likely worse if you factor in how he has conducted himself since ...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Plus success is quantifiable based on past achievements ... Olympic gold means less if you can't back that up by being the WC, especially in a discipline like TT where it's you versus the road, it comes off as a lucky win...

Wait, what?

Nonsense.

You would think all the other Gold medals would back him up a bit...
  • sjmclean wrote:

Plus success is quantifiable based on past achievements ... Olympic gold means less if you can't back that up by being the WC, especially in a discipline like TT where it's you versus the road, it comes off as a lucky win...

Wait, what?

Nonsense.

You would think all the other Gold medals would back him up a bit...

Track and Olympic cycling is intrinsically intertwined ... not so with road racing and Olympic gold carries nowhere near the cache of wearing the rainbow stripes on the road ...

Track racing has sporadic links with road racing but is really just what you do before you get a real job in the peleton ...
  • Latest info on Wiggins at the Commonwealth Games.
    http://spokeydokeyblog.com/2014/02/25/wiggo-comes-to-glasgow-again/
  • Latest info on Wiggins at the Commonwealth Games.
    http://spokeydokeyblog.com/2014/02/25/wiggo-comes-to-glasgow-again/

SPOKEY! That's it...