Majorca, I love it.

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited September 2019 in Road general
Managed to get away from the south coast winds for a while.

400k this week in the sunshine.
Will have to revise my target to do a single ride with over 1000m climbing this year. We did nearly 3000m on Thursday.

9480bcd90621e2062b2fabb1c415907f.jpg

Best roads I have ever cycled on.

Comments

• I am thinking for going for the first time any advice , where did you base yourself, did you hire the bike etc, much appreciated. That picture has just made me want to go even more looks amazing.
  • Plodder73 wrote:
    I am thinking for going for the first time any advice , where did you base yourself, did you hire the bike etc, much appreciated. That picture has just made me want to go even more looks amazing.
    Based in Palma on a friends boat. The city centre is fine, but if I was staying in a hotel it would be elsewhere. The issue is staying as close to where you want to ride as possible, or having transport to take you there on a daily basis.

So, if you want to ride in the mountains then stay on the west , north or southwest. If you like flat or rolling, then stay in the centre or east. We have transport so it doesn't matter to us. Nowhere is more than an hour or so in the car.

We rent bike from Berganti bikes. Full carbon Moozes with Ultegra for under 15€ a day. There are better bikes available elsewhere for more money but I have done 1000k or so on a Moozes and am very happy with it. I take my own measurements with me and a saddle from home so I am always comfortable.

Get the cycling map. It shows routes, gradients and the cycle tracks and roads colour coded as to which are busiest. We use this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/18132718 ... =95&ff19=0
  • Thanks for the info will do some more research, was thinking of staying round Pollensa. Sounds like you had an amazing time.
  • That's a good choice. Easy to head into the hills or the flat from there. We did a ride from their up to Lluc earlier in the week. Superb.
  • I'm off on Friday! Hope the weather stays like that.

Is it a yacht you're on in Palma? My brother-in-law works on a 100 footer there.
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Lovely stuff. Going in May and can't wait.

Canyon have a hire base in Cala D'or (on the south east of the island).

I have booked myself one of these for 4 days, cost about £25 a day:

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3296
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • I'm Off in July - thoroughly looking forward to it. I know it's going to be roasting but, so long as I go out early enough I hope I'll be ok.
    Staying in Camp De Mar on South West coast close to Andratx. Hiring a Canyon from Rad-international in Peguera hopefully for 7-10 days.
    2013 Bianchi Vertigo Carbon with Campagnolo Zondas
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
    ~ Albert Einstein
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Staying in Puerto Pollenca in April for a week. Bike hire from Pollence cycling

8) cant wait
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    In Pollensa as well for a week from March 11th.
    Great base for cycling. Did it last year and had a fantastic time so can't wait.

There is a group of us with one of the guys taking a lead role to coordinate and organise transport etc. Basic plan below for an idea of some routes if anyone interested.

DAY 1 / Tuesday / Arrival : A gentle leg loosener, following the lines of last year. Once bikes built, hire ones arrived, suitcases and rooms allocated. Then a small loop around the hotel to check bikes all set up aok. Thus if any bikes need a tweek then drop back to the hotel and carry out the necessary work. From here head to the caves at Campanet for a spot of lunch. Here an option for after lunch take the short journey and climb up Lluc, turning for home at the garage. For those wishing to do this I would like to keep the group together up the climb. Worked well last year as we got to do my favourite descent J on the first day ( 60 mile all in ) You don’t notice the final 12 mile J. As you can see there are options on the first day ( small loop ) or (Caves and back). Whichever suits you, it is an early start with a big day to follow.

DAY 2 / Wednesday / Traditional Mountain Day : A couple of you have mentioned this route, and it will be a tough but exhilarating day. I have ridden this route many times, and in parts it offers incredible riding. In particular all the descents J. Out through the marshes to Sa Pobla, Buger, Campanet, Moscari, Selva, Lloseta, Alaro, Climb the Orient, Climb Bunyola and stop for a coffee, light lunch, bar and a gel in Bunyola. From here climb the Soller, then the Puig Major ( long ) and descend to the shack. Decision time, head for home OR climb Sa Calobra ( not to be missed if you have not done before ) and then head home. ( 90 miles with Sa Calobra).

DAY 3 / Thursday / Porto Christo : Let’s hope we get back without the coach this year J. Slightly different route out this year. Little bit further but nicer roads J. Once at Porto Christo stop for lunch, hopefully by the beach then back through Manacor to Petra ( for coffee ) and sample those beautiful, fast roads back from Petra J ( 90 miles ) .

DAY 4 / Friday / Twin Peaks : Great ride last year, head to the climb at San Salvador, stop at the top for refreshments, then head across for a similar climb Randa ( for lunch ). From here it’s all downhill to the finish (115 miles )

DAY 5 / Saturday / Thankfully – Flat : Last few days would of taken it out of the legs, so we are going flat all day J. A shorter ride, head out past Alcudia and Can Picafort then turn right inland to Petra for lunch. Different way home than normal from Petra, but still great roads, Sineu, Llubi and Sa Pobla. ( 60 miles )

DAY 6 / Sunday / Valdemossa : the toughest day last year. The weather played a major part ( very cold ) and climbing from the start of the day. However this year, the route home will be easier ( flatter ) ( 100 miles ).

DAY 7 /Monday / Final Day : This is our flexible day, as I am aware there is bike packing / packing to be done on the afternoon / evening, so not planning to throw in a long day at all. Possible lighthouse ? Possibly a flat eazzy relaxing ride. It will be up to you or a concensus of the group.
  • ednino wrote:
    Staying in Puerto Pollenca in April for a week. Bike hire from Pollence cycling

8) cant wait

I did just that last April, you'll have a blast :D
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    that's got to be the viewpoint on the road at Torre del Verger near valdemosa
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Went twice last year and booked again for mid-May this year. I go with the missus and kids but a few hours cycling per day is permitted.

Am hiring from Canyon in Cala D'or again, this time I've gone for an Ultimate SLX with Campag EPS. Should be a beautiful holiday romance. Can't wait.
  • Trip over. Just got back. 500 k or so completed in 8 days is fine for me as an old grumpy bloke in Lycra.

Burned about 3000 calories per day but might well have consumed 3500. Post ride protein loading included consuming half a cow each at Can Pedro and watching my buddy wash it down with the worlds biggest G and T's. I timed how long the barmaid held the gin bottle upside down whilst pouring and it was 11 seconds! OMG!!

We were lucky to have a local mate to show us his favourite rides for a few days, but felt really proud of just going out and following the map for the rest of the week. He took us down a hill with 20 plus hairpins and we commented on how steep it was and what a beast it would be going the other way.

Couldn't resist it. So the next day, without him, we went back and climbed it the other way. Average 7% or so and we loved it.

I am indeed becoming a very sad person.

Really looking forward to Cape Argus in two weeks. Hills? What hills.. ?
  • I am indeed becoming a very sad person.

Whilst doing an impression of a very happy person :)
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Booked up Flights and Self Catering for a week at Easter for £160, based in Alcudia. Hired a Cube Di2 equipped bike from Max Hurzeler.

Was there last year, and I have never seen anywhere yet as good for cycling! Can't wait!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    edited February 2014
    Got back last week after a glorious ten days.
    12637634574_d42f51585e_c.jpg
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    Was there last year, and I have never seen anywhere yet as good for cycling! Can't wait!

France? Italy?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • durhamwasp wrote:

France? Italy?

Possibly but the advantage with Mallorca is it's compactness and sheer number of bikes around in Spring. Everywhere is geared up to deal with cyclists.
  • Trip over. Just got back. 500 k or so completed in 8 days is fine for me as an old grumpy bloke in Lycra.

Burned about 3000 calories per day but might well have consumed 3500. Post ride protein loading included consuming half a cow each at Can Pedro and watching my buddy wash it down with the worlds biggest G and T's. I timed how long the barmaid held the gin bottle upside down whilst pouring and it was 11 seconds! OMG!!

We were lucky to have a local mate to show us his favourite rides for a few days, but felt really proud of just going out and following the map for the rest of the week. He took us down a hill with 20 plus hairpins and we commented on how steep it was and what a beast it would be going the other way.

Couldn't resist it. So the next day, without him, we went back and climbed it the other way. Average 7% or so and we loved it.

I am indeed becoming a very sad person.

Really looking forward to Cape Argus in two weeks. Hills? What hills.. ?

Enjoy the Argus! That is one seriously scenic race. I'd love to do it again one day and actually just ride it rather than race it, chewing my stem and seeing only wheels in front of me LOL.
  • vanleapo
    vanleapo Posts: 150
    I'm doing the Mallorca 312 at the end of April and I can't wait.
    http://en.mallorca312.com/home/

I've done the short route (167km) for the last couple of years, but hoping to do the full thing this year.

Still plenty of time for people to sign up. Go on, you know you want to :D
    Tearfund Tour of Scotland 26th May to 1st June 2013
    http://www.justgiving.com/phil-godley
  • MikeWW wrote:
    Great base for cycling. Did it last year and had a fantastic time so can't wait.

Endino and Mike WW - I'm staying at Club Pollentia between Alcudia and Pto Pollensa from April 9 to 15th.

Wanna try and go a Weight Weenies/BR day one of the days? Thursday the 11th is the best day for me. Lemme know...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • ednino
    I'll be there on the 11th & would be up for a group spin. Will be on my own for the rest of the time
  • Was there for 2 weeks last Feb & absolutely loved it. Mileage was heavy & the weather was windy & a bit chilly on occasion, but the riding was amazing. Wanted to go back this year but couldn't, am going to Spain instead. Sa Colobra remains one of my fave ever climbs & descents, & plenty more besides. Didn't manage to get to some of the big big climbs, a good reason to go back i think!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    MikeWW wrote:

Endino and Mike WW - I'm staying at Club Pollentia between Alcudia and Pto Pollensa from April 9 to 15th.

Wanna try and go a Weight Weenies/BR day one of the days? Thursday the 11th is the best day for me. Lemme know...

ooo i'm staying there in May do report back on the hotel, all the reviews look good.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Its a great place to ride im spoilt ive done just under 30 thousand miles here in the last three years. Berni its due to rain feiday believe it ir not! But should only last couple of days. It rained today at 4pm while i was on my way to work. First bit of rain for ages though
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    durhamwasp wrote:

France? Italy?
    You will see from our website in my signature that we've done a fair bit of cycling around Europe, and I still think Mallorca is the best location.

Grand Bornand is close, but the size of Mallorca combined with the number of cyclists and all year round weather makes it the best for me.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Its a great place to ride im spoilt ive done just under 30 thousand miles here in the last three years. Berni its due to rain feiday believe it ir not! But should only last couple of days. It rained today at 4pm while i was on my way to work. First bit of rain for ages though

Oh for goodness sake! I knew all those sunny pictures were a bad sign. It can't last forever!

Still, at least their rain will be warmer than ours.......
  • I seem to remember last year about this time (or even later) they were talking about temperatures getting down to 0C on the mountain roads, so looks like you have it nice this year.

When I went to Mallorca last year it was entirely be coincidence that we'd planned a family holiday there before I'd taken up cycling, now of course I just want to go back!
  • ednino
    Didn't manage to get to some of the big big climbs, a good reason to go back i think!

What's the biggest? I want to beat my PB climb elevation gain of 2,500ft 8)
  • I'm out there in May for three days, cannot wait. Staying at the Aparthotel Duva, looking forward to tackling Sa Calobra and the rest that Majorca has to offer.

Apparently there's a great ride from Pollensa to the lighthouse that we should be taking in as well?