Eufemiano ‏@oufeh 8m
    Can't be anythg but tailwind
    Oman :
    18'33, Froome (2014)
    19'14, Rodriguez (2013)
    19'18, Froome (2013)
    19'24, Nibali (2012)”
    Via @mrconde

hee hee 0 just to stop the inevitable - remember that Bertie and Frommedog basically rode up it last time at a standstill waiting for J-Rod to do his thang...which he duely did...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Yeah it's a bit fast for your first race back after an off season filled with sponsor and other obligations (unless Sky boys dont have to do that sort of thing).

Here is a record:
    Madonna di Campiglio
    2013:11,8 km@5,9%---28:34---average speed 24.78 km/h(Ulissi-15 riders group)
    1999:11,8 km@5,9%---25:01---average speed 28.30 km/h(Marco Pantani)-RECORD
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah it's a bit fast for your first race back after an off season quote]

Why are cyclist the only sportsmen in the world who can't hold form throughout a season, we have this misconception that they are only fit in time or a GT or the classics but in reality they have a month off (where they will still train) and then have a training camp before summer. They are elite athletes.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    edited February 2014
    These results have been appearing all over the place as a red marker against Froome but there are only two points of comparison. Last year's race when, as Ddraver suggests, Froome and Contador played cat and mouse for part of the climb and the previous year when Nibs attacked early got caught, things slowed for a bit then Nibs attacked again to win with Peter Velits not far back.
  • The ADH records are the best though for ridiculousness:

http://www.climbing-records.com/2013/07 ... es-on.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • For god's sake, its about time people be made to go to Cycling Primary School to learn once and for all that comparing climbing times in different races leads to bugger all in the way of valid conclusions
  • Its about time people be made to go to Cycling Primary School to learn once and for all that comparing climbing times in different races leads to bugger all in the way of valid conclusions

Of course but it is interesting to see none the less. I have a chuckle when I see the ADH one.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Why it wasnt shown on tv:
    http://inrng.com/2014/02/oman-tv-produc ... ts-rights/
    How much would you pay to watch each stage live?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sjmclean wrote:

Why are cyclist the only sportsmen in the world who can't hold form throughout a season, we have this misconception that they are only fit in time or a GT or the classics but in reality they have a month off (where they will still train) and then have a training camp before summer. They are elite athletes.

Yeah your right, no other sportsmen go through patches of form when they perform better for a few weeks/month than the rest of the year
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited February 2014
    sjmclean wrote:

Yeah your right, no other sportsmen go through patches of form when they perform better for a few weeks/month than the rest of the year

But we account that to a mental patch I'm talking physical..
  • For god's sake, its about time people be made to go to Cycling Primary School to learn once and for all that comparing climbing times in different races leads to bugger all in the way of valid conclusions

Having a climb used just 3 times and only once ridden from bottom to top is actually perfect
    for drawing conclusions*.
    * Suitable for paid up members of the Tin Foil Brigade, the Sky Hater's Club, or the All Spanish Riders are Wonderful Guild, only.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited February 2014
    For god's sake, its about time people be made to go to Cycling Primary School to learn once and for all that comparing climbing times in different races leads to bugger all in the way of valid conclusions

Having a climb used just 3 times and only once ridden from bottom to top is actually perfect
    for drawing conclusions*.
    * Suitable for paid up members of the Tin Foil Brigade, the Sky Hater's Club, or the All Spanish Riders are Wonderful Guild, only.

Obvs

*bunch of nutters
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Yeah it's a bit fast for your first race back after an off season filled with sponsor and other obligations (unless Sky boys dont have to do that sort of thing).

The mentalist line is that he spent a month in South Africa - and *everyone* know what that means.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Yeah it's a bit fast for your first race back after an off season filled with sponsor and other obligations (unless Sky boys dont have to do that sort of thing).

The mentalist line is that he spent a month in South Africa - and *everyone* know what that means.

Christ, look out for John-Lee Augutyn's return to the peloton this season - and Impey will be FLYING

The Downings were there for a while last Nov - they'll be around Aintree at the Eddie Soens faster than Ruby Walsh on a promise
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Yeah it's a bit fast for your first race back after an off season filled with sponsor and other obligations (unless Sky boys dont have to do that sort of thing).

What riding in the warmth and at altitude for a month...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Just got round to seeing this I was, one thing was missing: Bouhani bar banging, I thought that was a given, especially since Griepel veered slightly from his line.

Maybe his sponsors refused to give him any more after he kept knackering them...
  • "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454

The article doesn't really clear that up. I'm still bemused as to why there was a flying mattress at all.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Sounds like he had a particularly sheet day.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    At least he missed divan.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    You folks should quilt while your ahead.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Sky would've brought their own
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Crampeur wrote:
    Sounds like he had a particularly sheet day.

Bed your arse he did!
    - @ddraver
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    However, this kind of thing could bolster his season, taken on valance.
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    "FFS. I asked for a Duvel, not a duvet!"
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • It was a well-sprung surprise for Breschel

Can we put this matter to bed now?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Macaloon wrote:
    "FFS. I asked for a Duvel, not a duvet!"

Single or Double?
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    He could easily have ended up in a hospital corner. That sort of thing can easily get you down.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • What cruel luck. He must have been memory foaming at the mouth.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.