Heli tape

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Quite simple

Can anyone recommend any with a web link?
Just needs to cover the top of the top tube, headtube and underside of the down tube

Thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Search ebay for 3M heli tape
  • Just use the search bar for te forum, put heli tape in and there are loads of threads
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • ej2320
    Just had a look around and this stuff seemed good enough
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250515832105
  • I just got some really good stuff Rhino tape I think it's called ... It can be heated up and pulled of / re adjusted if and when you get it wrong search ebay there is a video in the description of the one I got

It's not fun applying it ...
  • ej2320
    what's the best way to apply it?

I was planning on heating it on a radiator, spraying a mist of water on the frame then applying the tape squeezing out any bubble
  • ej2320 wrote:
    what's the best way to apply it?

I was planning on heating it on a radiator, spraying a mist of water on the frame then applying the tape squeezing out any bubble

The one i mention above comes with comprehensive instructions mate
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Paragon Tapes on Ebay - great tapes, sensible prices.
  • ej2320
    Thanks for the replies

I went for a few metres of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250515832105
    Had some decent reviews and seems good stuff

I was going to use the water mist method to apply it, is there any reason why I can't?
    I don't think it will effect the adhesive
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    From the ebay link you provided ej:

How to apply:-

Tape performs best if allowed to warm to room temp below application
    Ensure surface is clean and dry
    Easily cut to required Size with good scissors or craft knife
    Remove paper liner from one end to expose adhesive
    Apply exposed end to surface with pressure then smooth

So I wouldnt :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ej2320
    I know it suggests I shouldn't haha

But it would make it a whole lot easier

I think what I'll do is cut a small piece from it and try the water method and see if it sticks
  • Kowalski675
    ej2320 wrote:
    I was going to use the water mist method to apply it, is there any reason why I can't?

No reason at all, it works with all tapes. If you're taping a whole tube length you'll never get a decent finish applying it dry. The water method (with a couple of drops of baby shampoo in the water) just kets you float the tape to exactly where you want it and smooth it down fully with no bubbles. Start smoothing from the centre and work outwards, using firm pressure (your fingers will probably be sore by the time you've done a full frame), preferably with a flexible squeegee blade applicator (also available for a couple of quid from paragon tapes). The tapes I got had a removable front film as well, that you peel off after you've finished, which gives a perfect finish free of any application marks, they really are practically invisible.
  • ej2320 wrote:

No reason at all, it works with all tapes. If you're taping a whole tube length you'll never get a decent finish applying it dry. The water method (with a couple of drops of baby shampoo in the water) just kets you float the tape to exactly where you want it and smooth it down fully with no bubbles. Start smoothing from the centre and work outwards, using firm pressure (your fingers will probably be sore by the time you've done a full frame), preferably with a flexible squeegee blade applicator (also available for a couple of quid from paragon tapes). The tapes I got had a removable front film as well, that you peel off after you've finished, which gives a perfect finish free of any application marks, they really are practically invisible.

Paragon tapes actually suggest this way for fitting.

Just ordered 4m lol, get the bike wrapped
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • I'd never heard of the water method, once my helitape turns up I will be giving it a try
  • So this:?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500mm-x-50mm- ... 410wt_1190

Looks a bargain, £2 for 5m!! :D

I'm on the lookout for some tape for my new On-One steel ('super-raw' finish) that is being delivered this week, and had been asking for protection advice here:

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12959221

The lacquer applied to the super raw finish is apparently porous, so I was going to apply some car wax to the frame before putting on the tape, but will this work OK, ie will the tape stick to a waxed frame?
  • That's where I ordered mine from, £16 for 4m of 100mm so £4 a meter, can't complain really, got a scratch on my frame already :( don't want any more!!
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Kowalski675
    gazman428 wrote:
    I'd never heard of the water method, once my helitape turns up I will be giving it a try

It's the standard method for applying helicopter tape, Ventureshield, large vinyl decals etc. If you want to see it done there's loads of instruction vids on Youtube, there's links to some on Paragon's instructions page here (the site shows their different tape types too, but to buy you need to go to their Ebay shop:

http://www.paragontapes.co.uk/home/instructions
  • Kowalski675
    The lacquer applied to the super raw finish is apparently porous, so I was going to apply some car wax to the frame before putting on the tape, but will this work OK, ie will the tape stick to a waxed frame?

The surface should be degreased before taping, so I wouldn't recommend it. The tape will stop any moisture ingress anyway, so tape the frame, then wax the untaped areas.